TV: Star Trek returning to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Good idea. Nerds can watch it, then take to internet forums and complain about how it isn't actual "Star Trek".

This isn't sarcasm either, I doubt the format of a talk-y sci-fi in which most of the tension arises from handling tense political situations and cultural encounters will work in today's ADHD skewed market. So bring on EXPLOSIONS, get the average viewer to watch AND the Trekkie to watch; the formerly because it will undoubtedly be a decently made show; the latter so they can tear it APART.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'll certainly give it a shot.

I'm fully expecting that the traditional universe (ToS, TNG, DS9, VOY) to be dead for the foreseeable future, so I'm not going to hold my breath on my hopes for a post Dominion War TV show. Just hope that the new series is halfway decent.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Just on their streaming service... wonder what the production value will be like and if this is just testing the waters for an eventual full fledged network show.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Technically, it's not coming to TV, as it'll be on CBS' online service, not the CBS TV channel. I don't see how this will be successful. Even if it's good, which it probably won't be, no one will see it. The vast majority of us likely will not pay $6/month for CBS All-Access and, instead, will catch up on it years from now on other services, like Netflix, after it's been cancelled.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather not have a new series at all unless it's going to be on a major platform and available to a huge number of people. If it's going to be on a premium service, I want it to be on HBO, since the viewership of and excitement for Game of Thrones is what I want to see Star Trek have again. Going this niche service route is likely to fail, may discourage future series and will dilute the Star Trek brand.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Technically, it's not coming to TV, as it'll be on CBS' online service, not the CBS TV channel. I don't see how this will be successful. Even if it's good, which it probably won't be, no one will see it. The vast majority of us likely will not pay $6/month for CBS All-Access and, instead, will catch up on it years from now on other services, like Netflix, after it's been cancelled.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather not have a new series at all unless it's going to be on a major platform and available to a huge number of people. If it's going to be on a premium service, I want it to be on HBO, since the viewership of and excitement for Game of Thrones is what I want to see Star Trek have again. Going this niche service route is likely to fail, may discourage future series and will dilute the Star Trek brand.

Agree, go big or go home. I for one would not pay for the service and being in Canada I don't even know if we can get access to the CBS All-Access stuff.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Recipe for failure with the online subscription.

This is just sad to hear, as a life-long trekkie.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
It's exciting news, but obviously lots of skepticism will exist until we know more.

Basing on the most recent Star Trek things we've seen, here are some thoughts about what I hope is the direction of the new show.

We need less of:

Gratuitous sexiness. It's probably inevitable as seemingly every show is ramping it up these days, but it doesn't really add anything whatsoever to Star Trek. Kirk hooked up with a lot of alien babes usually offscreen, and Counselor Troi wore some low cut clothing that I'm not sure was standard Starfleet issue, but that pales in comparison to having T'Pol rubbing lotion on herself time after time in the decon chamber or having Dr. Marcus take her top off for literally no reason. Are they like "ooooohhh those nerds will love this, more boobies!" ? Come on.

Captains/Admirals making decisions that make no sense or contradict earlier decisions they've made. Have a person in charge who has a set of values and sticks with it. Not like Captain Janeway who decides when the PD should apply and when to just dismiss it with a joke.

Faith of the Heart. It's unlikely but you can never be too careful

The Borg. They've been played out and thoroughly neutered by Voyager. Time for a new enemy.

We need more of:

A strong and diverse cast of characters, both main cast and recurring cast. Not everyone in Starfleet should be a superhero. This is why I liked having characters like O'Brien and Reed. They were just regular guys doing their duty. If everyone on the ship is larger than life and can do literally anything asked of them no matter what their background *cough* Tom Paris *cough*, things aren't as interesting. As for recurring characters, it's a chance to really add to the show. I would always love when people like Dukat or Shran would show up, you knew it would be an interesting episode.

Appropriately handling fan service. I get that you're gonna shoehorn some old characters into guest appearances, but do something that makes sense. No Scotty storing himself in the transporter buffer for 100 years or Kirk existing in the stupid Nexus. your show is set in the future from TNG? Data will probably still be around. Maybe whoever is the current host of the Dax symbiont shows up. 7 of 9 could make sense. Furthermore, don't shove every reference possible into whatever chance you get. The reboot movies were definitely guilty of this.

Final concerns:

There's gonna be action and explosions. It's just the way it goes. But hopefully they remember that those things are only cool and interesting if they further the plot, and aren't just there for the sake of having an explosion or fight.

The whole online CBS pay thing is probably going to make this DOA. It won't last past one season no matter how good it is if it stays on that. They gotta change that if there's any hope for success.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Hopefully they go all out in order to drive their service. They must be looking to compete with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBO... This is a huge flagship franchise and this is probably the only hope the show has of being a quality product.

Personally I don't know why CBS would go into this halfheartedly.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I assume he means TNG and DS9. I personally wouldn't consider those reboots. I'd say the two JJ movies are the reboots

Sorry, I meant the continuation of the ST universe in general, and yes...TNG and DS9 are the series that I meant. I liked Enterprise, but also wasn't surprised when it got cancelled.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
We need less of:

Gratuitous sexiness. It's probably inevitable as seemingly every show is ramping it up these days, but it doesn't really add anything whatsoever to Star Trek. Kirk hooked up with a lot of alien babes usually offscreen, and Counselor Troi wore some low cut clothing that I'm not sure was standard Starfleet issue, but that pales in comparison to having T'Pol rubbing lotion on herself time after time in the decon chamber or having Dr. Marcus take her top off for literally no reason. Are they like "ooooohhh those nerds will love this, more boobies!" ? Come on.
Nonsense. This deserves it's own show alltogether.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Enterprise had a few good moments, most of them having to do with Andorians/Vulcans/Humans learning to get along, but only a few.

From the sounds of things - this new series will almost certainly take place in the "Prime" universe, meaning the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY universe, rather than the reboot universe. This is because CBS doesn't own the rights to the reboot universe; they're owned by Paramount. So, if this is on CBS, it'll be in the Prime - which I think is a good thing. JJ Trek isn't Trek.

My chief concern is Kurtzman's apparently prime role as producer and writer, because I so far have seen no sign that he can write or manage the Star Trek universe. I miss Michael Piller. What's Ira Steven Behr doing, bring him back, let him run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->