Staple's Q&A

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No you don't. Are you fluent in English or using translator? I'm not joking because I use them and they often don't understand expressions and if you don't like my opinion fine, but every day your posting that my comments make no sense, that nobody understands them. Even some get likes from other posters. So what I'm saying is, if you need a translator to understand a language, don't tell me the sentences don't make any sense. I don't go telling Spanish people that their Spanish makes no sense just cause translator aps don't know how to translate meanings. And you are wrong, most players are happy to leave one team to go to a better team. If the isles miss the playoffs this year name me one guy, without kids in school system, that would be upset, if traded to a good but not great team, like boston?

So let me get this straight, Doshell is using a translator app to figure out what you are saying, yet typing his responses in perfect English? If he didn't have English fluency he would be using a translator app to respond, which would then be riddled with errors. As someone who teaches English to non-native speakers I can assure you that Doshell is quite fluent in English. He makes none of the mistakes that English as a second language speakers are prone to make.

Lastly, I just checked the Google Play store and I don't see an app that translates stupid. There may be one on the iTunes store though.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
with weight, I'm surprised no one has needed him for some job or another. Snow won't be going anyplace with that free money, Wang was such a good owner, cared so much about the fans, he tried to find a way to keep his buddy here for twenty years, even when Wang would be gone from this earth he would still have his buddy as GM. Probably would have worked if JT signed before the end of the season.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Yup - That is exactly how I understand what is going on...That snow would have definitely been completely fired and shoved out of the building if not for an insane out clause wang gave him making it cost-prohibitive/a bad business decision to fire snow. Like snow was signed to a 10-year deal at 1 per year, but the out clause if fired at any point before would be 20 million.

Weight I think is just being "kept on" as a professional favor. I'll bet he was making around $800,000/year on a 3-4 year deal with a little buyout so no real skin to Ledecky/Malkin to keep him.

Why not use them as scouts?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Let's assume Staple's numbers are accurate...

Lee @7
Nelson @5.5
Lehner @5
And let's say Beau @3, and Fil for the same as this year...

That would mean the only way of getting Panarin at the rumoured 10mil, would mean moving Ladd in a trade that involved picking up no other salary.
If that were to happen, that would leave the them with about 2mil in cap space.

So if re-signing all 5 at those amounts, along with Panarin, is the goal, Lou is going to have to be at his best.

It would be nice if Greiss, Hickey, and Clutter get moved as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: Barzy96

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
2) Who does Barzal love the most - Lou or Trotz?
4) Offer sheets are rarely a good idea, so I hope if Lou does one for a Leafs player it's purely for hockey reasons and not for revenge.
6) Hmmm...
7) I'm sure there are many that would like to keep it that way.
9) Yes Panarin will hit the market. The better question is...Will he wind up with any team but the rangers?
10) But really...What does Staple know anyway? :sarcasm:
12) 6 year/42 million for Lee? I could definitely live with that. What does Lee say?
13) I hate not having another center option because giving Nelson that kind of long term deal and Barzal a much bigger one a year later is pretty much going to stop us from spending on the center position..And we should do better than Nelson if we want to become a Cup contender.

Lou.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
No you don't. Are you fluent in English or using translator? I'm not joking because I use them and they often don't understand expressions and if you don't like my opinion fine, but every day your posting that my comments make no sense, that nobody understands them. Even some get likes from other posters. So what I'm saying is, if you need a translator to understand a language, don't tell me the sentences don't make any sense. I don't go telling Spanish people that their Spanish makes no sense just cause translator aps don't know how to translate meanings. And you are wrong, most players are happy to leave one team to go to a better team. If the isles miss the playoffs this year name me one guy, without kids in school system, that would be upset, if traded to a good but not great team, like boston?

Many players, considering they all ask for no trade clauses. Kind of like... Oh... John Tavares.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why not use them as scouts?

Would you trust them?

Lee @7
Nelson @5.5
Lehner @5

That would mean the only way of getting Panarin at the rumoured 10mil, would mean moving Ladd in a trade that involved picking up no other salary.

So if re-signing all 5 at those amounts, along with Panarin, is the goal, Lou is going to have to be at his best.

That's not accurate.

It'd leave ~$10 million in space if the above were to come true, with both Dal Colle and Ho-Sang each signed to $1 million, along with being on the roster. The cap is supposed to go up to $83 million next season. Waiving Ladd and putting him in the minors would save ~$1 million, if they wanted to go that route too, as would waiving Johnston. Alternatively, can we trade Clutterbuck and have Johnston take over on that line?

I think the obvious moves are to get rid of Greiss and his $3.3 million, then move Hickey and his $2.5 million.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

I have 2 that have personally told me, and 1 that tells the world.

Ladd---our kids play on the same hockey team and I sit with him on a weekly basis. Makes me cringe reading some of the stuff about him. On ice sucks, but off he is a nice guy.

Clutterbuck---Played golf with him several times (Plandome) Guy absolutely loves it here.

Martin--I think this is obvious.

Also pretty sure Lee is a guy that wants to be here

Sometimes it is called character? The drive to finish something that you helped build, no matter how many road bumps? Usually people with a strong moral compass don't jump ship when facing adversity.

Isles 2 points behind leafs.

Please start using spell check.

Also, it BarzAl

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Do you know anything about Lou Lamoriello and how he works? He could dig up every former president's body, hide them in his team headquarters, and you wouldn't know about it until he decided to throw Warren Harding's body on to the Northern State.

Weight and snow could be frozen in carbonate right now and I wouldn't be surprised.

"Not a peep from anybody" is the Islanders new motto.

For whatever reason that brought back a vision . . .

CsLy3UvW8AAhHaX.jpg

Weird Science . . . funny movie. One of the funniest things I ever saw in a movie was when the kids stand up to the invaders and one of them asked them to keep it between them so he wouldn't lose his teaching job . . .

Reactions: thedonger

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Many players, considering they all ask for no trade clauses. Kind of like... Oh... John Tavares.
Lol you aren't getting the point. Players ask for no trade classes to avoid going to celler dwellers..and waive them all the time to get away from celler dwellers. Isles have been on more no trade lists than any team almost, which is the biggest reason snow made such few trades. The reason? It's not the weather or the coliseum or Barclays.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I have 2 that have personally told me, and 1 that tells the world.

Ladd---our kids play on the same hockey team and I sit with him on a weekly basis. Makes me cringe reading some of the stuff about him. On ice sucks, but off he is a nice guy.

Clutterbuck---Played golf with him several times (Plandome) Guy absolutely loves it here.

Martin--I think this is obvious.

Also pretty sure Lee is a guy that wants to be here

Sometimes it is called character? The drive to finish something that you helped build, no matter how many road bumps? Usually people with a strong moral compass don't jump ship when facing adversity.

Isles 2 points behind leafs.

Please start using spell check.

Also, it BarzAl
You must have not read the part where I said players without kids in the school system. Anyway, you think clutterbuck, if picked up by the penguins in a trade tomorrow would of preferred not to be traded? Or Martin picked up by the capitals? If you think that, then you seriously under estimate the desire to play in the Stanley cup finals for these players. And that's ok, but I am telling you, everyone of them has the same hunger to win that Lebron James has they just aren't good enough to call the shots, only JT was, and he did.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Lol you aren't getting the point. Players ask for no trade classes to avoid going to celler dwellers..and waive them all the time to get away from celler dwellers. Isles have been on more no trade lists than any team almost, which is the biggest reason snow made such few trades. The reason? It's not the weather or the coliseum or Barclays.

So John Tavares who played on a cellar dweller ask for a NTC so he could not be traded to a cellar dweller even though he already played on one?

Not only does that make sense, but I think many people will agree with you on that one. Insightful.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I wouldn't offer sheet Marner. We're going to have to overpay for him (you have to for every offer sheet-or the other team would match), and give up what like 3 or 4 1st rounders? If it makes sense in the long run that's fine, but if it's done out of spite (which I doubt Lou would do), it's a terrible decision to make. The Leafs did nothing wrong in the Tavares situation. They went after the top free agent and got him signed.

Reactions: periferal

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I wouldn't offer sheet Marner. We're going to have to overpay for him (you have to for every offer sheet-or the other team would match), and give up what like 3 or 4 1st rounders? If it makes sense in the long run that's fine, but if it's done out of spite (which I doubt Lou would do), it's a terrible decision to make. The Leafs did nothing wrong in the Tavares situation. They went after the top free agent and got him signed.

Depending on how the this season goes signing Marner might make sense to this organization though. They just had four picks inside the first two rounds and will (as of now) have another first rounder this year. I certainly would not think the move would be done out of spite.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Depending on how the this season goes signing Marner might make sense to this organization though. They just had four picks inside the first two rounds and will (as of now) have another first rounder this year. I certainly would not think the move would be done out of spite.

5 years at $10.1M AAV = 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd

More years or higher than $10.1M AAV incurs the 4 1sts.

For 2 1sts, 2nd, and 3rd... I'm sending out an offer sheet to Marner AND Rantanen. That 2015 Draft class is looking epic. Neither may sign it, but their agents will have that ammo in that back pocket for leverage.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

For 2 1sts, 2nd, and 3rd... I'm sending out an offer sheet to Marner AND Rantanen. That 2015 Draft class is looking epic. Neither may sign it, but their agents will have that ammo in that back pocket for leverage.

Can you make two offer sheets? What if they both sign and the team doesn't match? I'm not sure about the timeline for offer sheets, do you happen to?

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Don't forget Barzals ELC is up in 2020 and he will get paid big time on his next deal.

I'd be very careful resigning Filppula as he might well be Chimera Part Deux - very good first season and then air goes out completely. Under no circumstance should be given and NMC, NTC or anything close to what he has now.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I would too...but it's going to cost more than that to get them. If it does happen, it'll be 4 1st rounders then.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
You must have not read the part where I said players without kids in the school system. Anyway, you think clutterbuck, if picked up by the penguins in a trade tomorrow would of preferred not to be traded? Or Martin picked up by the capitals? If you think that, then you seriously under estimate the desire to play in the Stanley cup finals for these players. And that's ok, but I am telling you, everyone of them has the same hunger to win that Lebron James has they just aren't good enough to call the shots, only JT was, and he did.

To compare hockey players to Lebron shows you are clueless.

Clutterbuck has 2 kids currently in Manhasset schools. No, Martin wouldn't want to leave, as he is deeply rooted here and owns a home with his soon to be wife in Flower Hill.

Sometimes I think you are trolling, but I am almost convinced you are clueless and have 0 idea what you are referencing

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Can you make two offer sheets? What if they both sign and the team doesn't match? I'm not sure about the timeline for offer sheets, do you happen to?

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I don't think it's much of an issue to send an offer sheet to multiple players. Whomever signs first I guess. If one of them signs it, then revoke the offer to the other player. If the 7 day grace period is over and it's not matched then it's done. If matched, then send it back out to the other player.

Offer sheets rarely happen, we all know that. In this instance though, the threat of one should definitely be a big point for the agents to get as much as they can. McDavid is the best player in the world and deserves his contract, the Eichel contract is the one Marner and Rantanen (and Barzal) should be referencing. The 5 year term is important too, it gets the player to UFA faster for another big pay day when they are 27.

The same dynamic with Barzal, but we'd match anything and giving him a big contract is expected since he's the only one.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Lee @7
Nelson @5.5
Lehner @5

Full roster will all those players signed at those #'s would bring the total cap to 83. the cap should go up next season, so it is possible to fit them all.

Greiss would be easiest move with a 1 year deal left - how about Greiss to the Flames for Derek Ryan?

Ryan makes Filppula redundant.
Bringing the cap # to 80 to resign a back up for 1m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad