Staple's Q&A

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Thought some of you would be interested to see what Staple said yesterday. I know some posters talked about it in separate threads, but maybe for those who did now have a chance to read everything we can fill them in. I'll start with some of the interesting things Staple said:

1.) While Weight and Snow are under contract, neither have them are involved at all.

2.) The players and Trotz love Lamoriello, Staple goes on to say Barzal loves him the most of anyone on the team.

3.) Threw out a number of the potential Lehner deal at 4 years $20 million.

4.) Isles would offer sheet Marner over Matthews if they were to do either of them. Goes on to say how Martin and Marner are great friends.

5.) Pelech having and up and down season is a surprise to the coaching staff, seems as if they expected bigger things out of him.

6.) While Gomez is the one with the whiteboard on the PP, Trotz is calling the shots.

7.) Ladd is skating on his own.

8.) Isles like Aho a lot.

9.) Thinks Panarin will hit the market July 1st.

10.) @periferal is going to love this one.. PP is bad because they do not have enough high end talent.

11.) Thinks playoff site has already been determined, but team is not saying where yet.

12.) He says Lee might get 6 years and $6.5/7 per year.

13.) Number he threw out for Nelson for 5 years at $27.5

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Thought some of you would be interested to see what Staple said yesterday. I know some posters talked about it in separate threads, but maybe for those who did now have a chance to read everything we can fill them in. I'll start with some of the interesting things Staple said:

1.) While Weight and Snow are under contract, neither have them are involved at all.

2.) The players and Trotz love Lamoriello, Staple goes on to say Barzal loves him the most of anyone on the team.

4.) Isles would offer sheet Marner over Matthews if they were to do either of them. Goes on to say how Martin and Marner are great friends.

5.) Pelech having and up and down season is a surprise to the coaching staff, seems as if they expected bigger things out of him.

6.) While Gomez is the one with the whiteboard on the PP, Trotz is calling the shots.

10.) @periferal is going to love this one.. PP is bad because they do not have enough high end talent.

11.) Thinks playoff site has already been determined, but team is not saying where yet.

Thanks man.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Nelson for 5 years, not terrible as long as trotz is the coach for 5 years.
Lee deserves a long term deal, he has earned it, 6.5/7 for consistent goal scorer and LEADER is nice to have.
Surprised no mentioning of Sorokin coming over.
Ladd shouldn't play unless we need him. Team has done fine w/o him and he will eventually be pushed aside with the younger kids.
Wonder what MGMT think of MDC, JHS, Bellows in terms of are they all part of the core of the future with Barzal and Beau
No eberle update?

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

I want no part of Nelson for 5 years. He's given us a few months of good play and now we're ready to commit to him for 5 years? f*** that.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I want no part of Nelson for 5 years. He's given us a few months of good play and now we're ready to commit to him for 5 years? **** that.

I feel like that $27.5m is probably about right and is likely to happen.

This is the Nelson that the team was expecting and this is the Nelson that LL and BT know. The offer will almost certainly be on the table if Nelson chooses to accept. And IIRC, I think Staple mentioned that Brock just had a baby - he may want the stability and comfort of what he knows.

The Lee figure is palatable as well. Keep it under $7m and for 6 years. Can't really argue with that.

Keep Lee, keep Nelson and backup the Brinks truck for Panarin and I'm happy as a clam. Sign Val or any other plug for a year or two at Center.

Done and done.

Beau - Barz - Bailey
Lee - Nelson - Panarin
MDC - Val - Komarov
MM - CC - CC

I'll take that for next year. After MM's contract expires, move Komarov to the 4th line and put Wahlstrom in.

Where do I go to contribute to the Panarin "Go Fund Me"?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I feel like that $27.5m is probably about right and is likely to happen.

This is the Nelson that the team was expecting and this is the Nelson that LL and BT know. The offer will almost certainly be on the table if Nelson chooses to accept. And IIRC, I think Staple mentioned that Brock just had a baby - he may want the stability and comfort of what he knows.

The Lee figure is palatable as well. Keep it under $7m and for 6 years. Can't really argue with that.

Keep Lee, keep Nelson and backup the Brinks truck for Panarin and I'm happy as a clam. Sign Val or any other plug for a year or two at Center.

Done and done.

Beau - Barz - Bailey
Lee - Nelson - Panarin
MDC - Val - Komarov
MM - CC - CC

I'll take that for next year. After MM's contract expires, move Komarov to the 4th line and put Wahlstrom in.

Where do I go to contribute to the Panarin "Go Fund Me"?
That's about right for his value, I just don't trust him as a player to perform to that contract.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Fair deals for Lee and Nelson. Quite honestly I'm surprised if they don't end up a tiny bit higher.

Lehner I love on that deal. But part of me thinks if Bobrovsky comes over that Korn and Pierro turn him into a Lundqvist type and he dominates for 90% of his deal.

Ladd in for MDC I think makes the third line much better even though Ladd is pretty horseshit.

Marner living with the Martins would be an excellent pregame segment.

I hope Lou keeps Weight and Snow in a small office in the depths of the coliseum with no computer or phone

Matt Martin will retire an Islander

Reactions: Barzy96

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Nelson for 5 years, not terrible as long as trotz is the coach for 5 years.
Lee deserves a long term deal, he has earned it, 6.5/7 for consistent goal scorer and LEADER is nice to have.
Surprised no mentioning of Sorokin coming over.
Ladd shouldn't play unless we need him. Team has done fine w/o him and he will eventually be pushed aside with the younger kids.
Wonder what MGMT think of MDC, JHS, Bellows in terms of are they all part of the core of the future with Barzal and Beau
No eberle update?

Staple said his sources from The Athletic reported about Sorokin coming over for next season, but the sources in Russia that denied that are reputable as well. Also said that if he was truly getting bought out that we would've heard something by now.

Bellows is expected to dominate in the AHL next year and begin to make an impact in the NHL during the course of the season.

Beauvillier may be here for a long time as long as he becomes a little more consistent. The talent is there.

It seems as if Eberle is gone after the season. They won't trade him, but they also won't resign him either.

If Ladd is to play he may be pushing Komarov out btw. Doesn't sound like it will be the young guys. Expect MDC to be sent down to play in the AHL All Star game as well.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Staple gives his predictions on players signing without knowing if they really care that much to stay here. For instance, most players don't care at all where they play if the team they sign with is better. For all we know even Brock may think he needs to be on the penguins even at 4 million a year. Brock won't tell you this the way JT didn't. Isles can't just sign guys once they decide they want them. lehner may not even want to be here. Staples other info is interesting but his predictions on players signing is anyone's guess because the players won't tell anyone what they really think of being on a average team.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

63 percent chance this stuff happens

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
That's about right for his value, I just don't trust him as a player to perform to that contract.

I agree with you on Nelson. I don't trust the guy to perform as soon as he signs that new contract, no matter the coach. I guess its not a deadly AAV but Nelson to me is a guy I don't wanna go into the playoffs with, way to soft and mostly refuses to use his size to his advantage. I'd take a mighty mite like Tyler Johnson every day of the week over him.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

On the bolded. Yeah that's the official word. But think about it. Ledecky tries to keep a pulse on what the fans want, he attends games, he meets and greets the fans in the stadium and on the trains. You better believe he responded to those billboards. But what really happened to these two? Why not just buy out their contracts and let them pursue other opportunities? I think they are still actively involved in some capacity ( and its not popping popcorn) but the official agreement was to keep in under wraps lest they upset the mob. Why are there no interviews with Garth or Weight on what they are up to? Where are they? I can't believe they are just sitting around collecting a paycheck.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
On the bolded. Yeah that's the official word. But think about it. Ledecky tries to keep a pulse on what the fans want, he attends games, he meets and greets the fans in the stadium and on the trains. You better believe he responded to those billboards. But what really happened to these two? Why not just buy out their contracts and let them pursue other opportunities? I think they are still actively involved in some capacity ( and its not popping popcorn) but the official agreement was to keep in under wraps lest they upset the mob. Why are there no interviews with Garth or Weight on what they are up to? Where are they? I can't believe they are just sitting around collecting a paycheck.

Just speculating (@periferal), but there were those rumors of a costly buyout for Snow. Maybe it's cheaper (either up front or net) to just keep him employed and not actually terminate him?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Staple also said that we've heard less from Ledecky this season because Lamoriello has pretty much muzzled ownership. Lamoriello alone is the mouthpiece for the team and is controlling pretty much everything.

Edit: Here's the direct Q&A:

Q: "The owners seem much less in the spotlight this year than last. First, am I even correct about that? Second, do you think that is by design?"

A: "Insert Lou's devilish smile meme here... Lamoriello is the hockey boss, even where the owners are concerned."

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Fair deals for Lee and Nelson. Quite honestly I'm surprised if they don't end up a tiny bit higher.

Lehner I love on that deal. But part of me thinks if Bobrovsky comes over that Korn and Pierro turn him into a Lundqvist type and he dominates for 90% of his deal.

Ladd in for MDC I think makes the third line much better even though Ladd is pretty horse****.

Marner living with the Martins would be an excellent pregame segment.

I hope Lou keeps Weight and Snow in a small office in the depths of the coliseum with no computer or phone

Matt Martin will retire an Islander
16p0o8.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Thanks. Very informative. In particular.

#2, #4, #8 and #12.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lamoriello has really added credibility to the Isles. Without him, there is no Trotz, there is likely no turnaround this season. And there is no Martin, Komarov, Filppula, and structure to this organization.

I can't say I am surprised that Lou may offer sheet Marner this summer if negotiations go past July 1. Depending on what Matthews gets, this one will be interesting. I think Dreger already hinted at this one earlier late summer.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lamoriello has really added credibility to the Isles. Without him, there is no Trotz, there is likely no turnaround this season. And there is no Martin, Komarov, Filppula, and structure to this organization.

I can't say I am surprised that Lou may offer sheet Marner this summer if negotiations go past July 1. Depending on what Matthews gets, this one will be interesting. I think Dreger already hinted at this one earlier late summer.

Do you realize how happy that would have made some people here last summer?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Do you realize how happy that would have made some people here last summer?
I was happy. Pretty sure I was telling the Isles forum don't listen to some of the negative remarks on players like Martin and Komarov. Advanced stats do not measure character and the intangibles they bring. Lou understood this. As did I.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad