Staple's Q&A

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Cheap has ZERO to do with it. Even wang was willing to spend the last few years, but you need to have UFAs who WANT to come here, and no great ones have wanted to yet. To this point we've wound up with anything from Andrew Ladd to Jon Sim - Nothing like A Duchene/Panarin/etc like some posters are talking about getting this summer.

Getting Lou and Trotz is MASSIVE, but the bad aura/perception created the last 20 years isn't going to lift in a season. At some point when the team is winning consistently, has a new arena, etc then you're going to start seeing the Isles viewed as a destination as opposed to hockey Siberia.
I should have been more clear regarding ownership.
They have shown they are willing to spend to get things right, ie Lou, Trotz, Arena, practice facility.
That will go a long way July 1st...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Absolutely, but you have to stay open to the possibility that they may be able to land a top free agent THIS TIME.

There are many factors that this time around it is different -

If this team WINS, the arena breaks ground, the CAP space available, LOU and Barry - those are all things someone like Duchene/Panarin and the like may consider. Especially, Panarin who I believe is rumored to want to be in NYC

Absolutely. Are we heading in the right direction? Yes. Are we where we need to be to land an elite free agent? I don't think so yet.

All rumors point towards Panarin playing with the rangers. Are they in worse shape than us right now across the board? Yes, but they're still viewed as a "better franchise." I'm hoping our reputation can overtake then in the next 2-3 years.

Those are all great trends for a UFA to consider, but we are still 3 seasons away from the new arena, and sadly not all of today's Super elite will find the charm in playing at the old barn.

100% dead on. I guarantee some FAs will love the design of the arena, but will want to see what it's like once it's open.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Those are all great trends for a UFA to consider, but we are still 3 seasons away from the new arena, and sadly not all of today's Super elite will find the charm in playing at the old barn.

Yeah, I get that, but to shut it down as a possibility is shortsighted.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Why not use them as scouts?

Doug Weight thought that Jon Landry was an NHL caliber defenseman. Garth Snow liked Alan Quine, Shane Prince and JF Berube to the point where he hurt the team trying to hold onto them.

For whatever reason that brought back a vision . . .

CsLy3UvW8AAhHaX.jpg

Weird Science . . . funny movie. One of the funniest things I ever saw in a movie was when the kids stand up to the invaders and one of them asked them to keep it between them so he wouldn't lose his teaching job . . .

Lou walks into Garths office on day one, grabs danish off his desk....

"Hey, that looks pretty good. Now go get yourself one.... dickweed"

my gf is a teacher in nassau. snow is now a hockey coach at the school. what a fall from grace lol

Then who is living in his basement?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Absolutely. Are we heading in the right direction? Yes. Are we where we need to be to land an elite free agent? I don't think so yet.

All rumors point towards Panarin playing with the rangers. Are they in worse shape than us right now across the board? Yes, but they're still viewed as a "better franchise." I'm hoping our reputation can overtake then in the next 2-3 years.

100% dead on. I guarantee some FAs will love the design of the arena, but will want to see what it's like once it's open.

I still think the arena situation is overblown. We were a clown franchise with Snow and his cronies running the show. The arena was a crutch to lean on when players ran the other direction

With Lou and Trotz in town I think we instantly become a player in the UFA market even with our arena situation still being a huge question mark

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If Brock Nelson wants more than 4m and 3 years we should walk away. I'd rather take that money and sign a Spezza/Staal type on a one or two year deal than give Brock Nelson 2nd line C money when you can only count on him to play like a 3rd line LW.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
If Brock Nelson wants more than 4m and 3 years we should walk away. I'd rather take that money and sign a Spezza/Staal type on a one or two year deal than give Brock Nelson 2nd line C money when you can only count on him to play like a 3rd line LW.

How many 3rd line left wings have 4 (if you count last years 19 goals) going on 5 seasons of 20 plus goals. Nelson is a 2nd line player. Doug Weight was a historically bad coach who misused him. It looks like Nelson is finally figuring it out and he has actually turned into a two way player this year. I would be happy if we can bring back Nelson at 5.5 for 5 years. One way to think of it is if we can LTIR Ladd somehow we trade Ladd for Nelsons cap hit which is a deal I would make everyday.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Doug Weight thought that Jon Landry was an NHL caliber defenseman. Garth Snow liked Alan Quine, Shane Prince and JF Berube to the point where he hurt the team trying to hold onto them.

Lou walks into Garths office on day one, grabs danish off his desk....

"Hey, that looks pretty good. Now go get yourself one.... dickweed"

Then who is living in his basement?
He is. The rest of his family is upstairs.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I still think the arena situation is overblown. We were a clown franchise with Snow and his cronies running the show. The arena was a crutch to lean on when players ran the other direction

There's no question that anyone will pile on a bad situation, and with wang/snow/capuano (can you believe how bad that threesome is?), who would've wanted to sign here even if we had a shiny new arena?

I'll tell you who...Jom Sim and an overpaid Andrew Ladd.

That said, even current Islander players don't like Barclays - From the atmosphere to the commute via the LIRR. So while things use to be crappy in the front office/coaching and it's a 180 now, the arena is still a definite negative factor. Moving games to NVMC definitely helps, but the arena situation is still not as desirable as taking the fans that attend games there and putting them into Belmont.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Dude...

I'm guessing you don't realize that Nelson makes 4.25/year right now and you're expecting him to take less than that as a UFA in the prime of his career? Can't and won't happen, so what you're really saying is that you'd like not to spend any money on Nelson.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
There's no question that anyone will pile on a bad situation, and with wang/snow/capuano (can you believe how bad that threesome is?), who would've wanted to sign here even if we had a shiny new arena?

I'll tell you who...Jom Sim and an overpaid Andrew Ladd.

That said, even current Islander players don't like Barclays - From the atmosphere to the commute via the LIRR. So while things use to be crappy in the front office/coaching and it's a 180 now, the arena is still a definite negative factor. Moving games to NVMC definitely helps, but the arena situation is still not as desirable as taking the fans that attend games there and putting them into Belmont.

I agree but winning and a professional front office changes a lot. Hiring Lou and Trotz instantly made the organization relevant.

The Red Wings brought in top UFAs for years with a poor location and poor arena. Winning and a solid management means a ton

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Dude...

I'm guessing you don't realize that Nelson makes 4.25/year right now and you're expecting him to take less than that as a UFA in the prime of his career? Can't and won't happen, so what you're really saying is that you'd like not to spend any money on Nelson.

I realize, and yes

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I agree but winning and a professional front office changes a lot. Hiring Lou and Trotz instantly made the organization relevant.

The Red Wings brought in top UFAs for years with a poor location and poor arena. Winning and a solid management means a ton

I respect your optimism. I realize that since Torrey/Arbour left we haven't had a front office/coaching staff in the same stratosphere until now.

That said we've all been so burned by so many promises that quite literally I won't believe anything until it happens.

Remember last year when we were told over and over and over and over and over, and even by the man himself, that Tavares was going to resign?

When Panarin, Duchene, etc signs here I'll do backflips. Until then they're as likely to come here as Sorokin.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I respect your optimism. I realize that since Torrey/Arbour left we haven't had a front office/coaching staff in the same stratosphere until now.

That said we've all been so burned by so many promises that quite literally I won't believe anything until it happens.

Remember last year when we were told over and over and over and over and over, and even by the man himself, that Tavares was going to resign?

When Panarin, Duchene, etc signs here I'll do backflips. Until then they're as likely to come here as Sorokin.
All your points are correct.

I haven’t had faith in management my entire adult life. It was Milbury and Snow for me.

With Lou and Trotz around it allows one have hope

Reactions: periferal

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
And its not like this is coming out of nowhere. This is the Brock we thought we were drafting and always knew had the ability to get to. He's not your stereotypical physical player, but he is still a big presence in the middle who can use his strength/reach to his advantage.

There is absolutely a reason for skepticism based on what we've seen over the past 2-3 years. But there's also reason to think that this guy has turned the corner somewhat. Sometimes the change of scenery can take place without moving. The confidence the coaching staff has in him - in addition to an actual system in place - can go a long way. And players mature at different speeds. Bailey seems to have become an adult in the past couple of years. Perhaps that's hitting Brock as well.
Agree. True in any line of work -- people will do their damndest to live up to the expectations a boss has in them. I think the coaches bave higb expectations for him and bave given him more responsibility

This is what happens when you are coaching to develop tbe team and not just to save your job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad