Newsday: Staple to The Athletic - Andrew Gross to Isles Newsday Beat

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The difference in what Staple writes now vs. when he was with Newsday is very noticeable. He is significantly more open with critique, not in a brash way, of the team's decision-making, views on the direction the franchise is going, etc.

I liked him a lot at Newsday, but his style at the Athletic is fantastic.

There is also an analytics writer named Alex Novet, who has done a few excellent pieces, including an in depth analysis of the Isles' defensive scheme breakdowns. Great article.

Reactions: Konk and xECK29x

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The difference in what Staple writes now vs. when he was with Newsday is very noticeable. He is significantly more open with critique, not in a brash way, of the team's decision-making, views on the direction the franchise is going, etc.

There is also an analytics writer named Alex Novet, who has done a few excellent pieces, including an in depth analysis of the Isles' defensive scheme breakdowns. Great article.

Yeah he has a lot more flexibility now. Curious how this plays out with his relationship to the players and management.

Reactions: beach

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Was not a fan of Gross, wasn’t as quick to things at Gulitti was for us and only posted about certain things.

Hopefully he improves for the Islanders because he was lackluster while in NJ

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I hope everyone sees the difference in being a beat reporter for a NYC tabloid that gives very few inches to hockey and covering that same team for an online subscription service.

Reactions: beach

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Has anyone read Staples Mailbag on the Athletic? First question was about Tavares resigning. I’m going to paraphrase, he says the his feeling is the owners kept Snow because it would help keep Tavares. At this point he thinks if everyone were to be fired it would look like a panicky move and may turn off players from coming here.

I know it’s behind a pay wall, but if you check it out, it’s somewhat depressing. I’m getting the feeling that whether Tavares stays or goes, it’s going to be the Snow/Weight show next season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Has anyone read Staples Mailbag on the Athletic? First question was about Tavares resigning. I’m going to paraphrase, he says the his feeling is the owners kept Snow because it would help keep Tavares. At this point he thinks if everyone were to be fired it would look like a panicky move and may turn off players from coming here.

I know it’s behind a pay wall, but if you check it out, it’s somewhat depressing. I’m getting the feeling that whether Tavares stays or goes, it’s going to be the Snow/Weight show next season.

If firing someone after 12 years is seen as a knee-jerk, panicky move, then I'm not sure what that says about ownership/the players.

Reactions: BTrotts19

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think if Snow was fired and someone like Lombardi hired, it would attract FAs as the team would actually have a legitimate GM.

Irregardless of how one feels about Snow, it just seems like such an odd conclusion/sentiment about a situation involving a guy who's been around 12 years.

Firing someone who has been around 12 years with relatively mediocre results does not sound panicky to me.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Link to said article?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Ummm...Thanks for the movie preview. Looks like crap so won't be reaching into my wallet to see the other 90 minutes.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Look at the new guy not exactly building trust with a lack of details...

30127021_10216501980969016_5876551636536524800_n.jpg

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017

Skip to 3:50 in the video - Gross walks in on a Dana White interview and is clearly ignoring commands to come back and walk another way, around the interview. No f***s were given haha

Caught my eye watching it and I thought ‘... is that Andrew Gross?’.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad