Newsday: Staple to The Athletic - Andrew Gross to Isles Newsday Beat

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Just joined you... Checked out some JT articles, gonna read that one about the writer who went on the road with the Brampton Beast (ECHL) tomorrow... but obviously main reason was for Staple's coverage..

Read this one yesterday. Great article. Amazing what the ECHL guys go through

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
People paying to read anything Staple writes? I guess.

You're paying for more than that.

What Staple is covering seems to be what is getting those who are unsure to give it a shot and subscribe, especially since it's not even 'full price' at the moment.

LI2RVA

Jul 8, 2016
You're paying for more than that.

What Staple is covering seems to be what is getting those who are unsure to give it a shot and subscribe, especially since it's not even 'full price' at the moment.
That is the boat I found myself in. I was on the fence before. Wanted to subscribe for the articles (and to support the writers), when Staple announced officially, it nudged me over. No buyers remorse here.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He's been more fun and sarcastic on Twitter lately, seems like The Athletic is letting him loosen up.

Reactions: C24

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Do they only have one guy who can cover hockey or something? I should've applied, just so I can continue not asking the tough questions to bother some of you.

Reactions: SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Do they only have one guy who can cover hockey or something? I should've applied, just so I can continue not asking the tough questions to bother some of you.
Remember, you’re a beat writer for a print medium in a market that doesn’t give a shit about hockey. You get limited space so make those questions count.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I subscribed to the athletic after seeing Staple head over and finding a 50% discount online. I have been pleasantly surprised with the articles. The site reminds me of when I first subscribed to Sports Illustrated.

I’m in for one year. Price will dictate if I stick around for a second.

Reactions: periferal

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I liked Staple at Newsday and like him even more at The Athletic. It seems he has more editorial freedom. His articles have been fantastic. The Athletic on the whole has been great. Justin Bourne especially.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Let’s see if he can ask the tough questions

He looks like a real professional..... not

I hate having to get to know a new writer. How the f*** do we know what’s on the up and up?

Also, it takes awhile for the players to build and relationship with.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Staple's Newsday replacement has finally been announced, it's the current Devils beat writer Andrew Gross, starts in March. Anybody familiar with him?

Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) | Twitter

As a devils fan, he's a good follow, live tweets during a game (like most) asks good questions and throws in some lighter moments (ie, plane being delayed last week had some funny tweets) You guys will like him.

Reactions: SI90

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
How long is the free trial?

I'm still very skeptical that the content will be any better than the free stuff.

7 days. I'd wait until this new jackmule starts at Newsday and see what he vomits up before buying in. Also, they don't have an Atlanta section, so I don't get any Braves or soccer stuff to read, so for me the content was a little threadbare. If you're really into the NY area MLB/NFL/NBA, then it might be worth considering.

Reactions: redbull

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
At least you gave it a fair shot :sarcasm:

How long is the free trial?

I'm still very skeptical that the content will be any better than the free stuff.
It's already better than the free stuff. Analytics articles, Bourne and Staple a great read. Articles from other teams at your fingertips.

Reactions: gordie43

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Staple's Newsday replacement has finally been announced, it's the current Devils beat writer Andrew Gross, starts in March. Anybody familiar with him?

Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) | Twitter

Yes, but has he had his first meeting with Garth yet?

godfather.jpg

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
A note on this "is it worth paying for?" thing: I think we've been greatly spoiled for the last several years in general with free internet content but it's not sustainable and a lot of great sites and newspapers are getting wiped out by the squeeze (thanks in large part to Facebook, advertising rates, ad-blocking, etc). I bought a sub to The Athletic in part because I see it as the best way to support professional online writing, and we're basically getting daily content geared towards our teams at the cost of a SI mail subscription.

If you want great sports writing and it has to be free, that's fine, but there's a good chance your favorite will be out of a job sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad