Newsday: Staple to The Athletic - Andrew Gross to Isles Newsday Beat

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
What can I tell you. I’ve been reading him for years and I don’t like the way he wrotes. I’m sorry if he’s a personal friend of yours but I don’t think very much of Mark Herrmann.

Hey to each their own, I just get frustrated with the lack of respect on the internet at times. Not a big deal. :)

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
With Staple gone, take the opportunity to stop reading Newsday. Research who owns it. Your patronage helps a rival team and helps a rival team act as a choke point, controlling perceptions around the Islanders.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
With Staple gone, take the opportunity to stop reading Newsday. Research who owns it. Your patronage helps a rival team and helps a rival team act as a choke point, controlling perceptions around the Islanders.

The Isles do a pretty good job themselves affecting the way people perceive them.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I watch just about every game. The media doesn't form my opinions.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Staple is a reporter. He reported facts. If you want an narrative column blasting Snow or whatever gets you off, follow Jeff Capellini.

Staple tried to get as much out of the organization as he could, I don't think this has to do with who owns Newsday. For crying out loud, Staple's had phone calls with Jack Capuano screaming at him over the phone, and Doug Weight recently blew up at him and other media regarding medical updates. It's honestly humorous to me (it literally makes me laugh) how uninformed people are in today's world. Staple was really good at his job covering the Islanders for Newsday, like one of the best in the business...seriously.

It's just funny that you think Newsday is working with the Islanders to keep their perception as shitty. Why would the Islanders want their perception to be negative. Isn't that what John Ledecky and Malkin are trying to reverse?

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Support the Islanders! Boycott Newsday and boycott the Belmont arena because MSG/Dolan has interests in both!

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

I get the impulse, but also without the insane cable deal we signed back when it was Sports Channel this team would have folded more than a decade ago.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Support the Islanders! Boycott Newsday and boycott the Belmont arena because MSG/Dolan has interests in both!
This does not go far enough. Through Oakview/Arena Alliance, Dolan has an interest in the majority of arenas in the NHL. So, boycott the NHL. And NBA. As a wintertime alternative, Curling is probably safe from Dolan connections. Unless he uses mind control to influence the movements of the stone....

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I ended up buying the subscription for the Athletic at the 30% off price they have today. Feels like being held hostage for Isles coverage.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Staple just confirmed that he's going to cover the Isles full-time for the Athletic. If Newsdays replaces Staple and still provides full-time coverage, then we're going to have twice as much coverage as previously of the team and that's good.

I was really harsh on Staple earlier in the thread (mainly having a bad day), but I'm still happy that he'll be covering the team full-time. The Athletic really is full of great contend and worth a subscription IMO, even before they committed to full-time Isles coverage.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Staple just confirmed that he's going to cover the Isles full-time for the Athletic. If Newsdays replaces Staple and still provides full-time coverage, then we're going to have twice as much coverage as previously of the team and that's good.

I was really harsh on Staple earlier in the thread (mainly having a bad day), but I'm still happy that he'll be covering the team full-time. The Athletic really is full of great contend and worth a subscription IMO, even before they committed to full-time Isles coverage.

Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised they went with both NYR and NYI beat writers instead of having Staple do both

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I just subscribed to the Athletic. That said, I like Albanese and think she will do a good job if she ends up being the assigned beat writer.

I don’t believed she is the assigned reporter, as she does baseball full time. Just covering last nights game.

But yes, she is good.

Reactions: beach

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Noticing that Staple is getting a little more sassy with his tweets, wonder if getting out from Newsday allows him more flexibility on social media.

Also, Laura is a delight and I hope ESPN or someone else picks her up bc she deserves it.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Noticing that Staple is getting a little more sassy with his tweets, wonder if getting out from Newsday allows him more flexibility on social media.

Also, Laura is a delight and I hope ESPN or someone else picks her up bc she deserves it.

Don't worry it is just a matter of time until Snow bans Staple like he did with others. He tolerates Newsday cause he has to. Snow would rather operate like the Isles are in the witness protection program.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I just subscribed to the Athletic. That said, I like Albanese and think she will do a good job if she ends up being the assigned beat writer.

Just joined you... Checked out some JT articles, gonna read that one about the writer who went on the road with the Brampton Beast (ECHL) tomorrow... but obviously main reason was for Staple's coverage..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad