GDT: Stanley Cup Qualifier Game 4: CBJ @ Leafs - Aug. 7th, 8:00 PM ET - NBCSN - SN & CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
must win game

I'm going on record today suggesting the winner of tonight's game wins the series. :)

I tried this strategy yesterday and it didn't produce the desired results, so I'm trying reverse psychology today hopefully with better success this time trying to produce the opposite outcome as last night.

Reactions: hockeyes

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I keep watching the highlights thinking it will make me feel better or something... Has not helped thus far.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
i'd just like to see the Ref's actually call the game properly. high sticking, and too many men on the ice should never be ignored (either side, as Leafs also looked like they had too many men once) ...and hitting/boxing out players that dont have the puck shouldnt be permitted in the playoffs, because there isnt a 2nd rulebook once playoffs start, but, every year, there seems to be.
heck, let the entire year be called like playoffs, or call the playoffs like the entire year, no different for one or the other. nothing grinds my gears more than that. ...except maybe when something is a penalty in the 1st period, but, not in the 3rd, or, 1 team is up because of a PP or 2, so refs call cheap penalties to 'even it up' ...the standard, 'you know they are going to get the next one' call.
...1/3 of the league's players are technically not even under contract right now, so, this whole thing is a joke anyways.

Reactions: OddyOh and Mats13

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

This is a good point ^^^

Ultimately it doesn’t matter, to use a boxing analogy, if the Leafs are ahead in the scorecards but get KO’d.

Tonight CBJ has a chance to KO Toronto, and if they don’t..... pressure is back on them in a big way

"Hockey is a cruel sport" - No truer words have been said.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

This is a good point ^^^

Ultimately it doesn’t matter, to use a boxing analogy, if the Leafs are ahead in the scorecards but get KO’d.

Tonight CBJ has a chance to KO Toronto, and if they don’t..... pressure is back on them in a big way

I'd be more interested in dangerous chances, and Columbus is killing us in that regard ...its like the parting of the sea when they get near our blue line.

we are an open house, and are serving free food and drinks, come on in and look around, we'll shadow you, but, let you do whatever you like.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd be more interested in dangerous chances, and Columbus is killing us in that regard ...its like the parting of the sea when they get near our blue line.

we are an open house, and are serving free food and drinks, come on in and look around, we'll shadow you, but, let you do whatever you like.

I don’t know about Game 1, but Leafs out chanced Columbus heavily in Game 2, and after two periods last night, had 75% of the expected goals (essentially scoring chances).

Leafs also had more chances in OT.

So would depend on how slanted the third was last night and how Game 1 was (IIRC it was actually a wash in regards to that).

so I believe Leafs have our chanced Columbus so far as well, but again, I don’t have the full numbers, so could be mistaken.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not big on the idea of starting a goalie in both games of a back-to-back. A must win situation is the exception though. A loss is probably going to bring questions regardless of the path chosen. Didn't want to believe the team would be in this predicament.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
So, will we see the last game of this core tonight? All those expectations ... :-/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd be more interested in dangerous chances, and Columbus is killing us in that regard ...its like the parting of the sea when they get near our blue line..

Here is the bottom reason why Columbus is killing us or at least leading us at this time.

Matthews (1 goal) + Tavares (1) + Nylander (1) + Marner (0) = 3 goals combined.
vs
Pierre-Luc Dubois = 3 goals individually.

1 opposition player has as many goals in the series by himself as Leafs top 4 forwards combined.
or
Leafs the 3rd highest scoring team (reg season) have 6 goals total in the series vs 3rd lowest scoring team on season who also have 6 goals for.. Leafs advantage going into this series was their offense and its not an advantage if you don't use it.. When the lower scoring team is using "defense" to level playing field offensively playing the Leafs even on goals so far, its resulted in them being ahead in the series as a result.

This is going to need to change in the next 2 games both individually for Leafs best offensive players and the team as a whole for the Leafs to come out on top and advance to round # 1 of the playoffs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Pretty sure Toronto had a big edge last night in HDCF and XGF

great

Apr 14, 2018
They’ll win today guys don’t worry, can’t say about game 5.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I guess now we get why Pittsburgh and their fans were saying the higher seeds should start with a 1 game advantage :laugh:

Reactions: FlareKnight

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Not exactly sure what to expect. It would be nice for once to see this team get some consistency going.

There is too much up and down with this team.

I get all the talk about them being better overall, but the score doesn't give a shit about that.

Like many years past... its time for the Leafs to just show up and play 2 solid games and prove to everyone that they're the better team.

Instead of 1 win... its 2 now... and its doable... but they have to actually go out and do it.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I don’t know about Game 1, but Leafs out chanced Columbus heavily in Game 2, and after two periods last night, had 75% of the expected goals (essentially scoring chances).

Leafs also had more chances in OT.

So would depend on how slanted the third was last night and how Game 1 was (IIRC it was actually a wash in regards to that).

so I believe Leafs have our chanced Columbus so far as well, but again, I don’t have the full numbers, so could be mistaken.

mathematical stats dont really tell the story ...when you are in the crease and the goalie's pads are tight to the ice, and you dont have room to do anything except hit the pads, that is a 'chance' but, you really didnt have a chance (i.e. overtime 3 whacks into the pads from 3 inches out, not enough room/time to get the puck over the pads, and unless the goalie lifts his leg, no real chance to score, but, it looks like like a sure goal), and the Leafs get tons of these 'non chances' crap angles, in too tight etc.
Columbus are getting fewer 'chances' but, many are open look shots from the slot, or circles, and not under pressure, or with 2 players attached to you, or shooting through 3 players.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
The ripple effect of Muzzin being out really hurt, putting every D out if their comfort zone/sweet spot.

Rielly and Ceci had to play more shutdown minutes instead of pushing the play, Holl is best suited as the support guy on a shutdown pair, Dermott wasn't quite ready to step into Muzzin's spot, and Barrie had to play with a tweener, which isn't ideal when he needs a stabilizing presence

Reactions: Buds17

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I’ll also expect a win tonight. Leafs are the type to make things as cruel as possible. So should get a chance to win the series before blowing it.

Just have to shrug. The leafs are what they are. For better or worse will only miss part of this game for work so however it goes will see most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad