GDT: Stanley Cup Qualifier Game 3: Leafs @ CBJ - Aug. 6th, 8:00 PM ET - NBCSN - SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Muzzin's absence is a huge hole, everyone's going to have to pick up the slack...........

Reactions: rubous

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I did not say anything about scoring. I said we expected more and by that, I meant the things that he does best. We need him to be the player that put up 94 points a year ago. If he and Nylander play like they can, CBJ are in a whole lot of trouble.

I mean you posted his shot totals and his shot attempts. How am I supposed to take that as anything short of you questioning why he isn't socring goals?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
As the pre-game thread is closed answering this here:

@m1ker
"And who goes in Sandin or Barrie when one of those 4 are in the penalty box?"

Who went in during the 28 games Sandin and Barrie were both in the lineup? Why was it that Babcock was not worried about this when playing teams with much better power plays than CBJ has? Against St. Louis on October 7th with the Leafs holding a 3 - 2 lead with 4 minutes left in the game and with Muzzin in the box for 2 minutes he put out Sandin for the final 70 seconds of the PK (opting to put him out before Holl, and Sandin had played the previous PK that game as well) and Sandin did perfectly fine - as he did every time he was on the PK with the Leafs. Fans used to complain about Babcock loving and relying on Marincin too much. They are more Babcock than Babcock was.

Now, I don't want Sandin in tonight, because I don't like 7D, Marincin played in the exhibition game, I don't ever want to see the Sandin - Barrie pairing again, and I simply think that the Leafs have done a bad job with Sandin's development. But this current obsession over the PK, against a team with a terrible PP, especially as Dermott has earned many times more PK minutes than he gets, is completely bizarre.

Last edited:

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Really hoping Robertson isn’t scratched for 7th D. Mistake if so.
5 shots already in limited minutes and most of them were dangerous.
Seeing as the leafs are having trouble scoring it’s probably a bad idea to trim from the offence to make up for Muzzin; Columbus is crap offensively no?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Both Nutivaara and Kukan are about on the same level as Marincin. Getting 15-16 minutes in the regular season, when they're not a healthy scratch. Possibly as low as 10 minutes in a playoff game. No scoring or transition game to speak of from any of them.

The depth on their blueline is being tested, too.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
He might go with 7D and sit Spezza given the back to back? But I also wonder given it’s a back to back wouldn’t he want to go a little less mins to his top forwards? Will be interesting to see how they approach the next 2 games

Reactions: Havoc

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Really hoping Robertson isn’t scratched for 7th D. Mistake if so.
5 shots already in limited minutes and most of them were dangerous.
Seeing as the leafs are having trouble scoring it’s probably a bad idea to trim from the offence to make up for Muzzin; Columbus is crap offensively no?

Would be completely shocked if they make him sit

Reactions: meng666

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

@m1ker

Who went in during the 28 games Sandin and Barrie were both in the lineup? Why was it that Babcock was not worried about this when playing teams with much better power plays than CBJ has? Against St. Louis on October 7th with the Leafs holding a 3 - 2 lead with 4 minutes left in the game and with Muzzin in the box for 2 minutes he put out Sandin for the final 70 seconds of the PK (opting to put him out before Holl, and Sandin had played the previous PK that game as well) and Sandin did perfectly fine - as he did every time he was on the PK with the Leafs. Fans used to complain about Babcock loving and relying on Marincin too much. They are more Babcock than Babcock was.

Now, I don't want Sandin in tonight, because I don't like 7D, Marincin played in the exhibition game, I don't ever want to see the Sandin - Barrie pairing again, and I simply think that the Leafs have done a bad job with Sandin's development. But this current obsession over the PK, against a team with a terrible PP, especially as Dermott has earned many times more PK minutes than he gets, is completely bizarre.

PTSD from that 50% pk we put up last playoffs. :help:

Reactions: biotk

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He might go with 7D and sit Spezza given the back to back? But I also wonder given it’s a back to back wouldn’t he want to go a little less mins to his top forwards? Will be interesting to see how they approach the next 2 games

I think you hit on a good point here.

I like Spezza and thought he was excellent this year. But he's looked off in both games so far and at his age, I don't think he should play in both sides of the b2b.

Reactions: glue

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

What's good about facing jackets on a back to back is their stars are defencemen.

If we lean on our top 6 this game, they have no choice but to lean on jones and werenski. Go all out for game 3 then wrap it up game 4 with jones and werenski not at 100%.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Don't love the idea of 7D in our situation. We're basically splitting the 6th D role which shouldn't get more than ~12 minutes anyways which will make it tough for Sandin or Marincin to get comfortable. Plus our bottom 6 was solid last game, especially the 4th line who did a good job early and late in Game 2.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What's good about facing jackets on a back to back is their stars are defencemen.

If we lean on our top 6 this game, they have no choice but to lean on jones and werenski. Go all out for game 3 then wrap it up game 4 with jones and werenski not at 100%.
I don't think Jones or Werenski would think twice about ~28 min a night on a b2b. Upping our top 6 minutes would be more tiring for our group than that pair IMO

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I don't think Jones or Werenski would think twice about ~28 min a night on a b2b. Upping our top 6 minutes would be more tiring for our group than that pair IMO

hmmm those are some tough 28 minutes though.

28 minutes for jones is much harder than 28 minutes for matthews. (edit- definitely not saying play matthews 28 mins)

If not jones, werenski might still be too raw to carry the jackets through a team like the Leafs. Like how Marner and Matthews had no answer for Boston's best on their respective tries.

Reactions: meng666

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014

@m1ker

Hey if you rather see Sandin on the PK tonight over Marincin then i'm glad you aren't coaching. The PK alone is why Marincin will 100% be playing tonight.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
We're facing CBJ, not Tampa Bay. Marincin wont make our offense any worse. We are winning this series.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

@m1ker

I don't agree with all of this, but a good argument nonetheless. It's precisely why PK opportunities are less dangerous against CBJs than other teams that I'd want a Sandin in the line up vs Marancin. Then I question myself about the number of PK requirements that might occur, and I anticipate a more physical game with a higher chance of penalties...Marincin? Regardless, I'm curious, what leads you to believe the Leafs have done a bad job with "Sandin's development?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad