Stanley Cup Playoffs megathread

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Even after watching the series. I can still only assume the voters for the Norris look at offensive stat lines only. I've never seen consistent good "defensive play" from makar that avs fans always rave about. He seems very much in the mold of Karlsson... still a hell of a player, but his overall play is vastly overrated.

Anyway glad the avs lost, even though it sucks to see mack and makar going home empty.

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Have to admit, didn't pick any of the round 2 winners, other than TB. But, that's playoff hockey.
Easy to say now but I really did predict this to a t so far . I’m saying bolts and Habs in the finals . Bolts will do what they did to stars last season .Tampa is just built perfect right now .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I wrote in the main thread where I also predicted a 6 game Vegas win that I thought this series reminded me of last year's series between Dallas and Colorado. I got some snarky response about "something something injuries." Can't wait to hear the excuses this time around.

:5: *Highfive* "Vegas in 6" prediction buddy, we nailed it! :thumbu:

Interesting to see how Colorado will react this offseason. If they don't make any major changes i'll take Dallas to come out of the central bracket all day.

Only problem I see is Dallas ending up in the Pacific instead, and though they can potentially get through Vegas, they'll probably get some injuries (like Heiskanen last year) which could hurt their chances in the last two rounds.

What do you know . All defensive powerhouses left in the playoffs . High flying offensive teams (Toronto, Colorado , Boston,washington ) all golfing .

It'd be nice if the Stars of next season have enough offensive talent that they don't absolutely have to play defensive to get wins in the regular season. Tampa is really lucky in that regard.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018

Only problem I see is Dallas ending up in the Pacific instead, and though they can potentially get through Vegas, they'll probably get some injuries (like Heiskanen last year) which could hurt their chances in the last two rounds.

It'd be nice if the Stars of next season have enough offensive talent that they don't absolutely have to play defensive to get wins in the regular season. Tampa is really lucky in that regard.
Before covid the plan was just to move Phoenix to the central and call it a day.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Before covid the plan was just to move Phoenix to the central and call it a day.

Yeah, with a new west coast team, no reason to reach that far east for the last member. I saw a proposal for eight, 4 team divisions, with Stars paired with AZ, NSH, and STL in the central. (or south central, whatever they end up calling it) I suppose the top 2 of 4 get in regardless of record? The game splits would be 6 each against division, 4 against the other 12 conference teams and I guess one each against the other conference, alternating home and home. Personally, I like the idea of each team visting once a year.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

I think the stars are gonna have a real good balance next year . With a fully healthy roster they were decent offensively , now add Robertson to the mix and possibly damiani or mascherin and without having to lose any defensive strength to boot.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Easy to say now but I really did predict this to a t so far . I’m saying bolts and Habs in the finals . Bolts will do what they did to stars last season .Tampa is just built perfect right now .
You picked Montreal over the Jets?
I was doing great until Montreal won.
Everything ride has been right so far

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
You picked Montreal over the Jets?
I was doing great until Montreal won.
Everything ride has been right so far
Yes , Montreal is a good playoff team . They were good last year too . Good defence and good goaltending is huge in playoffs .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Even after watching the series. I can still only assume the voters for the Norris look at offensive stat lines only. I've never seen consistent good "defensive play" from makar that avs fans always rave about. He seems very much in the mold of Karlsson... still a hell of a player, but his overall play is vastly overrated.

Anyway glad the avs lost, even though it sucks to see mack and makar going home empty.

This is the same fan base that no so long ago claimed Girard is really the best dman on their team and should be up for the Norris. Wouldn't trust their takes of their own players much at all

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This is the same fan base that no so long ago claimed Girard is really the best dman on their team and should be up for the Norris. Wouldn't trust their takes of their own players much at all
Fair point

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Stars beat tampa in there first meeting last year . Look how the rest went .

I mean, half the games were 1 goal games, two of the others they traded 3 goal wins, and Game 6 was shit, but still only ended up being a 2-0 win.

I wouldn't be surprised if this series didn't end up following a similar course based on how I've seen the Islanders play.

Yeah, Tampa has Stamkos back and going this playoffs, but the Islanders don't have their top center gliding along the ice, unable to skate or shoot because of injury; so I'd consider it fairly even in that respect. :laugh:

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Mattias Jarnkrok strikes again!

Also, Anyone but TBL.
Fleury is a good enough story not to hate on VGK

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
They lost me as a bandwagon fan when they transitioned from plucky underdogs to cocky ***holes, but I'm back cheering for Vegas. In part because I love seeing an aggressive and gutsy front office, and also out of gratitude for eliminating Colorado.

Exactly the same situation for me lol I like Vegas this season, wish Reaves wasn't on their team though. Big fan of every other player on their team but he's just awful

Also as mentioned by JeffPeppers, anyone but Tampa

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Vegas is so much bigger and stronger. Just one game of course. But this is why I chose Vegas to win the cup this year. Big powerful defensemen, big powerful forwards, they dominate the 50/50 battles, they have great puck-protection skills, they do a great job teeing it up from the blue line and getting those screens on the goalie, getting those deflections, getting those high % goals. And on the other side, very good shot-blockers, good at clearing the net in front of Fleury so that he can see the puck all the way to make the saves. I like what I see so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad