GDT: Stanley Cup Final (God it feels good to just type that) Game #1 | St. Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If the Blues play like this in game 2 then I'll be worried. But this team has looked shaky in every game 1 of these playoffs (even though we won a couple of them) and gotten better as the series progressed. Let's hope the same occurs in this series.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Nothing new, but were the NBC announcers that biased again? Was at a bar and only hear after whistles, but every time the blues took a penalty you heard them defending the call. Then when Blais take a hit to the head we heard "If Blais doesn't trip that wouldn't have been a penalty". Was it bad the whole game again?

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Nothing new, but were the NBC announcers that biased again? Was at a bar and only hear after whistles, but every time the blues took a penalty you heard them defending the call. Then when Blais take a hit to the head we heard "If Blais doesn't trip that wouldn't have been a penalty". Was it bad the whole game again?
Doc was laughing at the Chara slash on Bozak wasn’t called, like it was a great amusement. (Was it Milbury?) was the only one who acknowledged it was a big missed call.

I think they just have comfortable narratives they prepare for. Right now, Boston winning is the narrative they are ready to talk about. If the Blues were up 3-1 in the series, we’d probably see them appear to be rooting for the Blues as they’d prepare for a different narrative. But it’s pretty annoying.

Like when Doc said Binnington was young and only 21. He’s 25.

I think this series will be 2-2 after 4 games.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Easily the most frustrating loss of the playoffs simply because we had a 2-0 lead on the road and just stopped playing. It's one thing to come out flat/sloppy and be flat/sloppy all night. It's another to put forth a good effort in the 1st period and then sit back for the next 40 minutes.

With that said, we've had frustrating losses all year and come back out strong the next game. However, there is one difference. Boston is a far better team than Winnipeg, Dallas, and San Jose. Martin Jones won't be in net tomorrow to allow 2-3 soft goals to give us Game 2.

The Blues just have to have an amazing game tomorrow. Game 6 vs. Winnipeg. Game 7 vs. Dallas. Game 5/6 vs. San Jose. Whatever we're doing later on in these playoff series has to come out tomorrow.

We have to remember that Boston did lose 3 games to Toronto and 2 games to Columbus. They can be beaten and by worse teams than the Blues. The Blues just have to play much better and the wins will come.

My only concern right now is Robert Thomas. He didn't play after the big hit. If he's out then we're probably done. That 3rd line has been a huge catalyst for us. Not just in scoring goals but in keeping pucks in the offensive zone. If the lineup starts shuffling now then we're in big trouble.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I turned the television off and listen to the radio. Listening to Kelly gave me chills as he sounds a lot like his Dad. Not that level of good, but the voice tones and inflections are similar. I thought he was much better on the radio than on the television. If you can put up with the 15 second delay between the radio and television, I highly recommend listening to KMOX and use the television like instant replay.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Damn what a ****ing let down.

Now Boston has all the momentum knowing they can come back from 2 goals. :mad:

Well yeah they can when the Blues help them out with dumb penalties and poor play. Not so easy once the Blues decide to play though.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I thought we dominated the first and got too overconfident in the second, by the time we were trying to play catch up, it was too late. That stretch pass by Eddy is honestly what I thought cost us the game. But the bigger problem was simply just not shooting the puck on net. Too many extra passes or hesitating on a shot it ended up getting blocked or someone got a stick in the lane. Very few things need to change. We can still easily win the next 4 games and take this in 5. Let's do this boys

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I turned the television off and listen to the radio. Listening to Kelly gave me chills as he sounds a lot like his Dad. Not that level of good, but the voice tones and inflections are similar. I thought he was much better on the radio than on the television. If you can put up with the 15 second delay between the radio and television, I highly recommend listening to KMOX and use the television like instant replay.

NBC is awful unless you are rooting for Boston.

KMOX is good. They know the Blues. They talk the good, the bad, and the ugly. NBC has reduced the coverage to personal stories and 1v1 match ups because they don't know Jack shit about our team.

Mar 6, 2012
And yes, the NBC broadcast was a hot load of **** as it always is.

And get that Dennis Leary the **** off the broadcast. I mean, what the hell was that? **** that.

NBC has been a total joke this entire run. The Blues have never been a team that generates much national interest and it shows. It shows a LOT. Like a LOT.

We're basically the Washington Generals of the NHL. We exist as a foil for the interesting team. It's always been that way and it will always be that way. We need to take all of that energy, wad it into a ball and shove it up their ***** HARD AND DEEP.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
And yes, the NBC broadcast was a hot load of **** as it always is.

And get that Dennis Leary the **** off the broadcast. I mean, what the hell was that? **** that.

NBC has been a total joke this entire run. The Blues have never been a team that generates much national interest and it shows. It shows a LOT. Like a LOT.

We're basically the Washington Generals of the NHL. We exist as a foil for the interesting team. It's always been that way and it will always be that way. We need to take all of that energy, wad it into a ball and shove it up their ***** HARD AND DEEP.
I say we throw Milbury, Pierre, and JR into a shitty canoe and send them down the Muddy Miss before game #3.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
As I said last night I wanted to process my thoughts before posting:

1. Our first period looked pretty good, now I think we were able to catch the Bruins recovering from rust a little, but still it was at least a 50/50 period.
2. Our top line looked fantastic, Tarasenko continuing his point streak, Schenn notching a goal, Schwartz was effective despite not scoring. But after them, our next best player was Binnington, 3 forwards and 1 goalie can not carry a team through a Stanley Cup Final on their own no matter how good they are.
3. I think we are going to have to play Boston like we did against Dallas, they are very much a speed and skill team more like Dallas, and we have to neuter their speed to be able to grind them down.
4. It's obvious the Bruins definitely had the scouting report on us down! Credit to them, they analyzed our play before we even knew what we were doing it seemed.
5. I think even though we built a 2 goal lead, a lot of our players got caught up in the fact they were in their first Stanley Cup Final game, I expect some nerves to be shaken off in Game 2.
6. Finally I expect the Blues will prepared and ready to go from start to finish in Game 2. I think we'll be coming home tied 1-1 in this series (at least I hope so). I also think most of penalties minus 1 or 2 were earned, clean up our mistakes and let's take it to them in Game 2!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'm honestly a bit surprised by the negativity. This team lays eggs occasionally, one per series so far in fact. Be glad it happened G1 and trust that the guys who beat 3 teams to get here and who play their best starting mid series will do it again.
Haven’t you been here? We become negative at the drop of the hat. There’s a ton of positives to take from this game. We went up 2-0. We found a potential weakness on Rask. Even when we played like shit, the bruins barely beat us and they were helped by some hometown reffing. Teams rarely win game 1 on the road. Win tomorrow and we’re sitting pretty.

Reactions: Chippewa

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
There were a couple of telling points in the 2nd period when the Blues player relaxed a little with the puck and then a Bruin was on top of them in a hurry. Welcome to the SCF boys, where you can't lazy around or think slowly. Imho that was a turning point where it looked like the Blues were lost, slow or whatever wasn't firing on all cylinders. And then there was two periods of that chip the puck up the boards to nobody b.s. That's an OK play when you need to bail, but it cannot be your EVERY play.

It's unfortunate that the boys couldn't build more momentum with a 2 goal lead in their first SCF game.

Reactions: Chippewa

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Haven’t you been here? We become negative at the drop of the hat. There’s a ton of positives to take from this game. We went up 2-0. We found a potential weakness on Rask. Even when we played like ****, the bruins barely beat us and they were helped by some hometown reffing. Teams rarely win game 1 on the road. Win tomorrow and we’re sitting pretty.

Lol of course but this team has me believing and I thought others would feel the same.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad