GDT: Stanley Cup Final (God it feels good to just type that) Game #1 | St. Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Some people need to deflect frustration from the thing they’re actually mad at, like the team in this case. Don’t take it personally, it’s appreciated the work you put in.
Well said and completely agreed! Keep it up Blanick, I like your GDT's.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I just had a quick look at the main board GDT. I am glad I didn't recognize a lot of the Blues fans. Embarrassing.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am watching the game now, but something really bothers me, and I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. On the EN goal, Perron is going retrieve the puck in the Blues end. There is a Bruin right behind him. What the camera doesn't show is two more Bruins near the red line. So, DP57 slap-banks it off the boards behind the net. Really? WTF? It gets intercepted and results in the empty netter. Of course it does! Seriously, DP57 goes brain-dead at times, I swear!

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Woke up in the middle of the night...

Still pissed off and depressed.

2-0 lead and then melted down

Total gut punch...stupid penalties, stupid plays, lazy and ineffective....

God, my head and heart hurt...

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Several Blues fans on HF Blues Board: " DeBoer is such a cry baby. Always whining about the refs after he loses. You get all the calls stop whining. So pathetic."

A week later, also same Blues fans: "We lost this game because of the refs. Why do the refs always have to screw us? <whimper and whine> That was not a penalty at all even though it totally fit the rule book definition of the penalty because he hit him in the neck at 70% not the head at 100%. I mean if checking someone in the neck with your stick at a medium level of hardness is a penalty, how can we be expected to play hockey? We can't win with these refs. If we lose, its totally the refs fault"

Geeze. The penalties were penalties. There is no strength requirement in the rule book. Complain about uneven calls if you want, but don't say blatant penalties weren't. And even complaining about unevenness of calls is childish and hypocritical if you called out the Sharks for it.

We lost because we got outplayed. They were faster, they transitioned the puck well, and they made some real nice plays on goals. We couldn't establish our game, and at the end they outworked us. But we will bounce back. That is this team's MO. Expect a better effort Wednesday.

I don't think anyone has claimed we lost because of the refs. We played like shit and the refs made terrible calls. Complaining about shit calls =/= losing because of the refs. Also the penalties were not all penalties. That's literally why people are pissed.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
It’s almost like the Bruins during their 10 day break watched Blues video and analyzed our weaknesses. Krug confidently decided that Thomas wasn’t going to do his half wall in the phone booth dipsy doodle. Krug locked in on Thomas at least 100 feet prior to Thomas’s dipsy doodle attempt. It’s like Krug has seen this before and knew he could arrive on time to deliver what looked like a hit that might have given Thomas a bell ringer. Uncle Walt needs to have a one on one with Thomas.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I think we all need to take a deep breath and mentally prepare ourselves for the possibility that this may not end like we want it to, or have envisioned it. Boston did not play anything close to their best game and still won fairly convincingly. Now, it could be argued that the Blues deserve a primary assist for that. But the facts are we blew a 2-0 lead in game 1 of the SCF against a team that had been on the shelf for 10 days, completely whiffing on an opportunity to put our fingerprint on this series. There is a lot to be fixed in a short amount of time if we're going to keep this series from getting out of our reach.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
The Bruins have a set OZ entry we failed to address. F1 will enter our zone and F2 will delay and stay up high. We need to watch this. Back checking F2 would help.

The Bruins power play has their wingers down low. We have to adjusted to this. It seems we did on the last two PK’s by bringing our box down low. Leaving the weak side Bruins player open for point blank one timers is probably why their PP has been so effective. Maybe a 1:1:2 would counter their PP.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I think we all need to take a deep breath and mentally prepare ourselves for the possibility that this may not end like we want it to, or have envisioned it. Boston did not play anything close to their best game and still won fairly convincingly. Now, it could be argued that the Blues deserve a primary assist for that. But the facts are we blew a 2-0 lead in game 1 of the SCF against a team that had been on the shelf for 10 days, completely whiffing on an opportunity to put our fingerprint on this series. There is a lot to be fixed in a short amount of time if we're going to keep this series from getting out of our reach.
Completely agree. We blew it big time. Now the bear is awake.

I just don't understand this team sometimes. Their own worst enemy.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Completely agree. We blew it big time. Now the bear is awake.

I just don't understand this team sometimes. Their own worst enemy.
Game 2 should be very telling. I want to see the mentality that we had after game 3 against San Jose, only this time a team that is pissed at themselves and is able to find a higher gear and sustain that energy over a full 60 minutes.

Reactions: RORbacon

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The Blues have shown time and again through the season and this postseason that they can respond. I expect we’ll see a much better effort tomorrow night.

They seem to take a game to get into a series. Even when they won game 1 against Winnipeg and Dallas they weren’t dominant wins. I think they did some good things before the parade of penalties, they just need to build on them and be more disciplined.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
I can’t help but wonder if Bean Town Refs had called Chara’s blatant Bozak stick breaking 180 degree windmill slashing penalty that the game could have changed momentum our way. If the NHL refs show up and are going to call most everything, then they needed to call this.

Boston10 just reported Chara is ok. "I'm fine I just got a cut," said Chara. "So, I just needed a couple of stitches."

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
So many of these games turn on a few plays. Three that killed us -

Sundqvist bad penalty, Boston scores.
Edmundson long pass turnover, Boston scores.
Ref misses Chara slash on Bozak's stick, we don't get 5 on 3.

Change those three plays, we win.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I can’t help but wonder if Bean Town Refs had called Chara’s blatant Bozak stick breaking 180 degree windmill slashing penalty that the game could have changed momentum our way. If the NHL refs show up and are going to call most everything, then they needed to call this.

Boston10 just reported Chara is ok. "I'm fine I just got a cut," said Chara. "So, I just needed a couple of stitches."
That was a shitty non call that everyone saw. Like the hand pass, you gotta wonder what these refs are looking at.

Reactions: STL BLUES

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Just read this;

The 5-foot-9 Krug said that he saw an opportunity to be a second wave of attack as he sped toward the St. Louis zone. A good pass would have caught him streaking in for a scoring chance, but the puck ended up along the boards and as Thomas tried to slap it out of the zone, Krug was there to deliver the hit. Thomas did not play another shift for the remainder of the game.

“It’s part of a game,” said Krug afterward. “Momentum swings, it gives your team a boost of energy. I don’t know what they were feeling on their bench, but if it pushes them back and catches them off-guard, then great for our team. But I think it gave our team energy and that’s all you’re trying to do out there is make little plays throughout the game that pushes your team in the right direction and that was one of them.”

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

So many of these games turn on a few plays. Three that killed us -

Sundqvist bad penalty, Boston scores.
Edmundson long pass turnover, Boston scores.
Ref misses Chara slash on Bozak's stick, we don't get 5 on 3.

Change those three plays, we win.
Adding to the irony is that Parayko got called for the exact same thing in Game 1 against San Jose to give them a 5-on-3.

Take solace in the fact that the Blues wouldn't have scored 5-on-3 anyways.

Reactions: STL BLUES

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I've been low key thinking we lose this for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad