GDT: Stanley Cup Final (God it feels good to just type that) Game #1 | St. Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Just my 2 cents.

Great 1st then BLAH the rest of the way.

IMO Binnington looked better than Rask.

Officiating wise, it was definitely below average for SCF and it didn't directly affected the game. Still Bruins would have won. The issue for me with it again is just consistency in the calls and the missing of automatic calls (slash that breaks stick, etc). I didn't feel as if the players knew the standard for the game.

The 2 tripping were right.

The hook on Thomas was a SUPER WEAK for SCF. That play happens multiple times in the game, and then it gets called once. Again consistency in the calls.

Edmundson high stick (I feel them callling it a high stick is throwing people), I am fine as penalty for roughing as long as they call the whole game.

Cross check on Sundqvist was another WEAK CALL for SCF. By definition, he did cross check him, but not much. Have to keep a standard like that is near impossible.

Krejci call was right in bad circumstance. Yes Blais tripped but he did contact the head. 2 minute penalty is proper.

Blais did interference for sure, but I am little bit surprised Coyle didn't get called for the headlock.

The NON-CALLS (REALLY OBVIOUS ONES)

Chara slash. Clear as day slash and yet no call. That is automatic penalty but yet was ignored. It was not little slash, but pretty good wind-up.

Perron/Krug & Krug's hit- IDK why the official let that go on the way it did. That should have been a 4 on 4 situation no doubt.

I have no issue with the hit deliver by Krug. The hit was clean by definition. But it was clearly charging. Never attempted to play puck and just went for the hit.

The killer part of this was Sundqvist had no reason to make that play. Just don't cross check a guy at the blue line away from the puck. It's a stupid play.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
Three of the calls against the Blues were laughable. The PPs helped get Boston going while the Blues tapped the brakes in response.

How could they not? Borderline phantom calls.

There is no doubt the Blues have to play better, but if every game features PP gifts to Boston, St. Louis is screwed.

Which 3? They were all penalties. The Thomas one was weak and never should have been called.

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA
There's an argument that the Blues momentum was halted because of the numerous PP's that Boston got. But we've seen countless times how killing a PP can swing momentum the other way. The Blues killed 2 PP's before the Bruins finally cashed in, but they weren't able to gain anything momentum wise after their solid PK work. Boston just came out with an intensity the Blues were simply unable to match.

It doesn’t work if the league awards the other team 5 PPs in a row. The blues could get a confidence from killing 1 or 2 penalties but 5 in a row is an indication that the league favored the Bruins in game 1. If I know anything from watching years of sports is that this will even out over the course of the series.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It doesn’t work if the league awards the other team 5 PPs in a row. The blues could get a confidence from killing 1 or 2 penalties but 5 in a row is an indication that the league favored the Bruins in game 1. If I know anything from watching years of sports is that this will even out over the course of the series.

Side note but I'm so incredibly jealous of the Caps. Our stories are very similar and you guys got it done and it had to feel like Blues fans would feel if we won.

I'm happy for you guys and so jealous at the same time. I want that feeling.

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA
Side note but I'm so incredibly jealous of the Caps. Our stories are very similar and you guys got it done and it had to feel like Blues fans would feel if we won.

I'm happy for you guys and so jealous at the same time. I want that feeling.

Thanks! I hope you guys win. Win it for Thomas, who was the recipient of a cheap shot.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
I'm encouraged by game 1. I was afraid that maybe Boston was on another level and would crush us, but it was an eminently winnable game. Have some more discipline and we can definitely win this thing.

I wasn't hoping for better than a 1-1 split in Boston so what does it matter if we lost game 1 or two. Let's get some momentum going back home (where I will be that day!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->