• Yes

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Can someone please explain to me how Stones goal wasnt highstick? The stick is over his f***ing head. Disgusting.

And why is noone on the team reacting?

Vegas Golden Refs
PoMos reaction was pretty good and appropriate in the press conference that the refs did not look long, made a quick decision and were fine giving us another penalty. I am sure he won't be that calm and reserved next game if the refs' performance will continue to be like yesterday's

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Oh I agree with you. Vegas is just a machine. I’d kill for a D core like theirs and their 4th line. But you have to find a way against Adin f***ing Hill. The guy is a scrub.
The guy has the highest sv% in all the playoffs now. He can't do that per a full year proba ly but at some point you got to recognize a guy is hot and playing well. Bob despite the past of his early career has been a mediocre goalie for 3 of last 4 years constantly losing his starting job but became locked in starting in the Toronto series and is also hot.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
I said it before the game and I will say it again you cannot let Vegas set up plays in our zone that is just east pickings for their skill players.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The guy has the highest sv% in all the playoffs now. He can't do that per a full year proba ly but at some point you got to recognize a guy is hot and playing well. Bob despite the past of his early career has been a mediocre goalie for 3 of last 4 years constantly losing his starting job but became locked in starting in the Toronto series and is also hot.
I can recognize Vegas is a great team that insulates him extremely well. Hill is a weak link.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I just hope we make a series out of it. I had picked us in 7. But even if we lose I’d be more than proud. Just take it the distance and honestly, at that point , anything could happen.
Still believe in this team, we were not gonna win like 13 in a row in the playoffs. But at least now they got a feel for Vegas. Adjustments will be made. I’m really hoping Gudas and Luostar can get healthy for game 2. We did some good things in the game and some things just completely took us out. Refs in the NHL are just so bad and I’m talking both ways it’s not just against us. Anyway, we’re getting a taste of what Carolina had by hitting a bunch of posts and insane save by Hill. It happens, it’s now our turn but the important thing is to get beyond that and weather that storm. Let’s bounce back next game and things will be different.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
I just hope we make a series out of it. I had picked us in 7. But even if we lose I’d be more than proud. Just take it the distance and honestly, at that point , anything could happen.
Still believe in this team, we were not gonna win like 13 in a row in the playoffs. But at least now they got a feel for Vegas. Adjustments will be made. I’m really hoping Gudas and Luostar can get healthy for game 2. We did some good things in the game and some things just completely took us out. Refs in the NHL are just so bad and I’m talking both ways it’s not just against us. Anyway, we’re getting a taste of what Carolina had by hitting a bunch of posts and insane save by Hill. It happens, it’s now our turn but the important thing is to get beyond that and weather that storm. Let’s bounce back next game and things will be different.
Cats were somewhat uncommonly undesiplined enough to cause a goal maybe 2. We have to move them out of our offensive zone they are too comfortable in there and we are going to have to open up our offensive game some more Vegas is more potent and with all 4 lines.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A few things:

Duclair was part of reason for 2nd VGK goal against, he blocked a shot earlier on in said shift but was too soft on Theodore who had free reign to walk blue line.
In saying that, Dukes offense is coming around.
Wondering if Zito will move him for picks or just burn the final year, hoping we get an inspired Duke that helps boost his offense back to 2021-22 rate, since he's a UFA earning his next deal (elsewhere).

That Cousins open net miss changes the game along with a couple hit posts and costly turnovers, the PP will have to find a way and adjust, this will be one of the key factors in edging out the fine details of winning the Cup/series.

Officiating seemed to be very reactionary last night, that 2nd call on Mahura was horrible, thankfully that one didn't bite us.
Continued to be impressed by VGKs 4th line, hoping Zito can build one for next season, with or without E. Staal back.

Monday can't come soon enough.
I still BELIEVE!

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
I did not feel like Vegas size was an issue it was more positioning. We also were slower to get the puck out of our defensive zone. Most of this is correctable. Chucky has to have better presence on the net. He stopped getting into trouble and played more minutes when he just played hockey.

Did Verhege even take a shot last night ?
We hit the post 3 times bad puckluck but we need to get more aggressive at the net.
Bob played decently but Vegas knows to go top shelf on him he must recognize this.
And we can’t let these guys have the middle of the ice open we have to close that down. They thrive on open long shots. We must create space on offense. Vegas is trying to win the forechecking dynamic but that can be ominous if you aim for that too high. We are just a bit slower and they are a bit faster in every phase yet we are a fast team when we get in gear we must get in gear faster.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
As others have said, this was more like the typical Panthers hockey
- Bob 5-goalski
- Because D not defense-ski
- Offense not skate-ski
- Too much penalty box-ski
- And refs tilt the ice-ski

Will they fix-ski? See ya Monday to find out-ski

fixed!

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
verhaeghe said in his "postcard" that the team didn't have their legs. hank pointed out that your stamina can fall off when you haven't played a real game in a while.

I suggested something along these lines last night. I think this was a factor.

however, as the VGK players said, they played in our end a lot. we're not built for that and it showed. I think that was a bigger factor, as their goals in the third came off OZ possession.

we had a couple of good forechecking shifts early in the third that didn't result in a shot or chance but it got my hopes up.

neither team had great finish so that probably evened out.

bob was fine. all goalies have more trouble when there's traffic. we need to spend less time in our end and really choke off those low-high passes to help him out. oh, and gtf out of his way, duke/gudas.

in the final analysis, VGK got to their game and we did not. hopefully with some better jam, we'll be able to find our game tomorrow. I think we got a sense of how much more difficult this matchup could be, though.

Reactions: austropanther

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
verhaeghe said in his "postcard" that the team didn't have their legs. hank pointed out that your stamina can fall off when you haven't played a real game in a while.

I suggested something along these lines last night. I think this was a factor.

however, as the VGK players said, they played in our end a lot. we're not built for that and it showed. I think that was a bigger factor, as their goals in the third came off OZ possession.

we had a couple of good forechecking shifts early in the third that didn't result in a shot or chance but it got my hopes up.

neither team had great finish so that probably evened out.

bob was fine. all goalies have more trouble when there's traffic. we need to spend less time in our end and really choke off those low-high passes to help him out. oh, and gtf out of his way, duke/gudas.

in the final analysis, VGK got to their game and we did not. hopefully with some better jam, we'll be able to find our game tomorrow. I think we got a sense of how much more difficult this matchup could be, though.
So Verhaege basically confirms that the rust issue is real. Good to know so we have an excuse / can start complaining earlier next time

Reactions: iam76

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
A lot of similarities to vegas’ game 1 in the last Stanley cup they were in. Game 1 in vegas, against a team who’s been around longer who were also gunning for their first cup, same festivities before the game, tie game going into the 3rd, vegas scored 3 goals in that 3rd which included an empty netter to win the game. Sound familiar? Well Washington made adjustments and ended up winning the series (actually won 4 straight after that). This doesn’t spell doom for us yet. Let’s make adjustments and hand it back to them. We know this group knows how to weather storms and won’t be discouraged after one game.

Last edited:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
So Verhaege basically confirms that the rust issue is real. Good to know so we have an excuse / can start complaining earlier next time

he didn't say rust, he said legs. (sorry, having trouble finding the link but you can probably look it up.)

and I agree with Maurice, who said he was worried about that at the start and didn't see it. at the end of the first, I exhaled and commented that we got out of the first even and can now forget about the rust excuse.

didn't consider that we might fade not having played in 10 days but I think that was a factor.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
he didn't say rust, he said legs. (sorry, having trouble finding the link but you can probably look it up.)

and I agree with Maurice, who said he was worried about that at the start and didn't see it. at the end of the first, I exhaled and commented that we got out of the first even and can now forget about the rust excuse.

didn't consider that we might fade not having played in 10 days but I think that was a factor.
Pot-a-to - pot-ah-to 😉

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
After a nice rest this series isn't done. Stupid to count these guys out, I am a basket case as usual.

Regardless, last night was a slap in the face. Vegas dictated a lot of play. Verhaeghe's point about "not having their legs" was definitely visible last night. They looked a lot like they did in Game 4 vs. Toronto, just a step too slow and fighting the puck all night, but this Vegas punished them a lot worse than the Leafs because they're a better team.

It's like when we outshoot the opponents we don't play our game. Our game is to grind out chances in the offensive zone, not one and done shots from everywhere. There was too much of the latter last night and not nearly enough of the former.

Maurice and his crew need to fix that powerplay ASAP. They looked completely confused out there. They were obviously trying something new given the info they have about Vegas' PK but oh man it looked atrocious. Cannot have that kind of powerplay in the Stanley Cup Final.

Bobrovsky was good, he's going to need to be that good to win this series. Hill is beatable, luck is clearly on his side right now, Panthers need to do everything in their power to drain that from him.

With Vegas' depth, Luostarinen coming back would be massive. Not so much that the 4th line struggled but Lomberg is kind of a play killer with his style on the wing with Reinhart and Lundell.

Reactions: austropanther

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
I love Matthew but he’s getting ripped apart on Twitter and let’s face it he has the biggest game in his playing history and end up like he did….well that’s just not a good look.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
And sometimes he’s missing in action on the ice that can’t happen in the Finals… nobody gets a pass.
Again, the rest issue counts for MT as well. When him and Bennett bith got ejected, it was the only time they were able to get "in close" with the Vegas players and use their physicality.

The only reason why PoMo remaind calm during the game and after was the fact that he knows that we did not play at all the way we are able to. We will see a stronger team tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad