Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final G1: Caps @ Knights | 5/28/18 | 8:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
- We could never establish our system. We had to almost play run N gun all night

- ice was absolute garbage (which caused above)

-Fluery is beatable

- Refs blew that 4th goal. They let the game get out of control

- The NHL promoting this “Cinderella story” and all this wrestling/Vegas mentality is the most annoying thing that has ever happened to the NHL. It’s an absolute embarrassment

Sep 19, 2008
I've never been so infuriated at my own team's players.

Last night really made me mad, so mad in fact that I had to leave the watch party and mill around in the concourse fuming. How could Wilson hit someone without the puck like that? That's a penalty! And then you had so many of my fellow Caps fans...they were cheering and yelling and saying IT WAS A CLEAN HIT, well he didn't have the puck and got smashed, how was it a clean hit? If you want to argue he shouldn't be suspended, go ahead, but this is undeniably a LONG history with Tom Wilson.

We all know this Caps fanbase loves Tom Wilson. We know that. But I never was part of the circlejerk. I failed to see why he was so appealing. Is he appealing because he is delivering hits that crush people? If you want to say he's appealing because of that, see who he's injured in the playoffs this season...Doumolin, ZAR, and now Marchassault. Seeing him down on the ice, I know he is an opponent but I still respect all of them and to see the mob mentality, it was like a Roman Gladiator arena. Fans were cheering Wilson on and complaining when he was penalized, claiming "there is a ref conspiracy" well he literally DECKED someone on the ice who didn't have the puck. And that's not legal. That was ridiculous.

Trotz always talks about disciplined hockey. Trotz always says this in the locker room after the game. Part of disciplined hockey is trying to stay out of the penalty box. And Wilson is known for that, and crushing hits. Seeing how deadly teams have been on the PP (the dominance in PKs has not been apparent since the columbus series, Pittsburgh and Tampa scored AT WILL most of the time on the power play) it would behoove the Caps to STAY OUT OF THE DAMN PENALTY BOX.

This is what irritated me the most about last night. This is what still has me fuming behind my computer right now. We all know the Caps play physical. We know that. But there is a line between physical, and flat out dirty hits. Last night hit on Marchessault was dirty. You cannot dispute that.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They need more defensively from Carlson and the fourth line. DSP has to make that clear on the Nosek goal and Carlson can't just puck watch and completely lose his man. I'm not sure the fourth line is up to the task other than just surviving but if Carlson is going to be the money player he purports to be then he's got to be a bit more stout and detailed than he was in G1. The goal was nice but he's got to take care of his end better. I didn't think he was very good in G7 moving the puck and hopefully this isn't a trend with him fading in terms of details. Fair not, he was on the ice for four of the five against prior to the ENG.

There are a lot of positives they can take away from this game but Vegas is probably not going to get down on themselves and make it easier for the Caps. The Caps just have to keep going and understand there may not be a time where they can comfortably seat on a narrow lead and just defend. They have to be on their toes every second, even when they think they may have a clear or whatever. They have to continue to press and try to get the next one. Win or lose, these are valuable lessons along with the primacy of pace over everything else. It should further clarify how they ought to be built and what the ought to focus on to continue to improve.

Penguinfan66

Sep 9, 2008
Im about as far from a Caps fan as i can get but unless i didnt see the right angle i don't think a suspension is needed. The penalty for the late was fine but i thought it was shoulder to shoulder...clean even if not legal.

Reactions: Drakon

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Im about as far from a Caps fan as i can get but unless i didnt see the right angle i don't think a suspension is needed. The penalty for the late was fine but i thought it was shoulder to shoulder...clean even if not legal.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. I can't defend that Wilson hit at all, super late and we'd be livid if someone did that to Ovechkin but at least he went low, so I'm hopefully they figure the penalty was enough. A player without a history wouldn't get suspended for that but because it's Wilson I think there's a chance.

Tough game. I think this will be a pretty evenly matched series and go 6 or 7. Whichever team capitalizes the most will win(obviously), but I think the margin for error will be tight. I can't believe Eller missed that layup at the end that would've tied it, uhh capitalize dude. The refs had some crap missed calls especially the crosscheck that allowed Reaves to score but not going to blame the refs, I'm sure we got away with some too and still could've won the game.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Vegas is average beyond one thing: they pressure the puck like crazy, usually trying to double team whenever possible.

This means you need to get rid of the puck before the double team, and players around the puckhandler need to be aware it's coming and space accordingly to afford passing lanes. This is why you can get behind or around them for wide open chances.

I don't even want to talk about the reffing.

Agree on both counts. When Vegas actually has to defend in a conventional sense - especially against a a halfway decent cycle or via any sustained possession by their opponent - they're not very good at it. There's a shock and awe quality to their pressure, because no other team does it, and the league hasn't seen enough of them to figure out how to beat it. But it's very high risk, high reward. Really seems like something that some coaching adjustments ought to be able to address - Trotz and co. have done pretty well all playoffs making adjustments. Let's see what happens here.

If they play another up and down, trade chances style game and lose, they might consider moving to a Penguins Game 6 style

Reactions: g00n

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
If anything, this game didnt get me down on our chances. Or well, if i was 50/50 at the start, i guess its 40/60 now. But we are very much alive and kicking.

I don't know how this game can make you any less confident, unless you thought we were going to boatrace them. I never did and figured it would be a long tough series. We came close to stealing one in their house in game 1, despite not playing our best and the refs blowing some terrible calls. Eller makes that layup at the end and we go to OT and who knows

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
While I’m bitter as shit about that game last night, it was entertaining as hell and it felt like a heavyweight fight and just thinking about it after the game, holy shit that was on a BIG stage. Everything about that game felt like the Stanley Cup Finals. It’s an awesome feeling aside from the loss. I still think Caps in 6. Wasn’t expecting us to take both games in Vegas. It just sucks that the game was right there for the taking. Our offense looked amazing at times and choppy as hell too. Just a wild game. That Reaves no call goal is going to gnaw at me all series if we go down by more than 2 games.

Reactions: blindsideheadshot

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Frustrated! With the league, the referees . . .

Wilson's hit was interference for sure and unnecessary, but let's not forget this from game 6 of the last series and there was no call

I see no difference.

Then there was the Burakovsky so called boarding call on Eakin whereas Orpik in game 7 is drilled in the back by Paquette and there's no call.

and the blatant cross check by Reaves on Carlson

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I’m not mad that we lost, I’m mad that the game was so sloppy for both teams. Pucks bouncing everywhere and what not. Frustrating to not get clean crisp hockey, stick to stick, etc

Also we need more shots from the point. They are leaving that area wide open for us

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
quik notes about last night.

Are we going to have to watch that entire pre game ice show before every Vegas game? OMG I hope not.

Not bothered that they lost. It almost looked like a pre season game.
Next game will be different.

Burt penalty called and not killed. Reaves penalty not called and LV scores. 2 goal turn around. In the 3rd with a lead missing that crosscheck was brutal. League owes the Caps one.

Tom Wilson is 3rd on the team in even strength points. 1 behind Ov with 3 fewer games.

Caps need to bring out the outdoor game game plan for the vegas ice

Reactions: Blades of Steel

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Agree on both counts. When Vegas actually has to defend in a conventional sense - especially against a a halfway decent cycle or via any sustained possession by their opponent - they're not very good at it. There's a shock and awe quality to their pressure, because no other team does it, and the league hasn't seen enough of them to figure out how to beat it. But it's very high risk, high reward. Really seems like something that some coaching adjustments ought to be able to address - Trotz and co. have done pretty well all playoffs making adjustments. Let's see what happens here.

If they play another up and down, trade chances style game and lose, they might consider moving to a Penguins Game 6 style

Right, forgot to mention a good cycle. That's the other way to get them out of this system but you have to watch for that double team if you get bogged down for a second. Less of a cycle and more of a weave will take them out of it provided you don't skate right into the double team.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Regarding the Wilson hit, I just did a precision measurement using video software with a precision clock and single frame advance.

Marchesault passes the puck at 2.734 seconds.
Wilson hits him at 3.434 seconds.

That's a .7 second difference and 1/10th of a second over the league guidelines of .6 seconds for interference. Not much to get excited about, especially when you consider the speed players travel at.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Even consideration of a suspension or fine for Wilson would be outrageous. It's an interference infraction, warranting a two-minute minor penalty under the league's rules, which he received. Burakovsky's boarding in the first period deserves more scrutiny than Wilson's hit.

If they suspend Wilson and Vegas wins it all, I may very well be done with the NHL

Between the inconsistent refereeing, suspensions, and fines combined with the EA Sports fanasty draft, this league is becoming a joke

Maybe I’m just cynical

Reactions: ovikovy817

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
If they suspend Wilson and Vegas wins it all, I may very well be done with the NHL

Between the inconsistent refereeing, suspensions, and fines combined with the EA Sports fanasty draft, this league is becoming a joke

Maybe I’m just cynical
Well, yeah, the Wilson part would be grounds for that, regardless of the series outcome. But the "fantasy draft" was the one everyone thought McPhee had botched and had produced a historically awful roster, so...?

animositynow

Mar 4, 2012
this caps team needs to get dialed in now. the nerves of the first game are out the way.
We have seen this team play its best with its back against the wall, and the players have said that they don't seem to make it easy on themselves.

Still it sucks to lose, but that game was 50/50. Its only game 1 though. Reminds me a little bit of losing Game 1 to Pittsburgh. A game they clearly should have won and had the lead in the 3rd period.

I still believe. The knights are fire wagon hockey but Caps can impose there game. Defense and Holtby need to be better. They will be.

Reactions: ocubed

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Well, yeah, the Wilson part would be grounds for that, regardless of the series outcome. But the "fantasy draft" was the one everyone thought McPhee had botched and had produced a historically awful roster, so...?

People could think that all they want but the fact that they could take cap friendly players they wanted, young up in comers on good contracts, young and speedy players, and build a team instantly suited for the fast NHL today while others teams have to wait to get rid of the older Chara/Orpik players because they got phased out 2-3 years ago is a joke IMO.

Teams are slowly transitioning into more speed but they have to do it over a few years. Vegas got to do it in one off season

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I've never been so infuriated at my own team's players.

Last night really made me mad, so mad in fact that I had to leave the watch party and mill around in the concourse fuming. How could Wilson hit someone without the puck like that? That's a penalty! And then you had so many of my fellow Caps fans...they were cheering and yelling and saying IT WAS A CLEAN HIT, well he didn't have the puck and got smashed, how was it a clean hit? If you want to argue he shouldn't be suspended, go ahead, but this is undeniably a LONG history with Tom Wilson.

We all know this Caps fanbase loves Tom Wilson. We know that. But I never was part of the **********. I failed to see why he was so appealing. Is he appealing because he is delivering hits that crush people? If you want to say he's appealing because of that, see who he's injured in the playoffs this season...Doumolin, ZAR, and now Marchassault. Seeing him down on the ice, I know he is an opponent but I still respect all of them and to see the mob mentality, it was like a Roman Gladiator arena. Fans were cheering Wilson on and complaining when he was penalized, claiming "there is a ref conspiracy" well he literally DECKED someone on the ice who didn't have the puck. And that's not legal. That was ridiculous.

Trotz always talks about disciplined hockey. Trotz always says this in the locker room after the game. Part of disciplined hockey is trying to stay out of the penalty box. And Wilson is known for that, and crushing hits. Seeing how deadly teams have been on the PP (the dominance in PKs has not been apparent since the columbus series, Pittsburgh and Tampa scored AT WILL most of the time on the power play) it would behoove the Caps to STAY OUT OF THE DAMN PENALTY BOX.

This is what irritated me the most about last night. This is what still has me fuming behind my computer right now. We all know the Caps play physical. We know that. But there is a line between physical, and flat out dirty hits. Last night hit on Marchessault was dirty. You cannot dispute that.

The fact that somebody got their bell rung should have nothing to do with whether the hit was bad or not. I would agree it was a little on the late side, but March would have gotten back up nobody would have said boo. The hit itself was clean shoulder to shoulder and the reason March got hurt was because Wilson hits like a truck and March was admiring his pass. First rule of hockey, keep your head up. I agree I want Wilson to know where the line is and stay out of the box, but hitting is part of the game and he needs to keep doing it, even if the other team is getting roughed up.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Vegas has actually figured out how to forged actual home ice advantage. Home ice advantage in hockey used to be one of the most overrated things in hockey, I mean not since the boards in Detroit has it ever actual meant something, enter Las Vegas. These guys have been playing in this puddle for months, they know how the puck moves and bounces, they know how to skate on it, how embarrassing that in a national broadcast the NHL has to bring on multiple guys with fire extinguishers to fix the ice. We've watch outdoor games in California with better ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad