GDT: Stanley Cup Champion vs other team | 8 PM MT

Choose Your Favorite Championship

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
2001 was way more nerve racking. A surprise Kings team took us to the 3rd period of Game 7 tied 1-1. I actually went to games 3 & 4 at Staples Center (I live in California) that year. I honestly thought with Forsberg out after the Kings series, it was over. We beat the Blues in 5 games, but if I recall correctly, 3 of them went to overtime, so the series was way closer than it appears.

Then the finals, down 3-2 in the series, that was way too nerve racking until, of all people, Adam Foote scored on a slapper that just fizzled on it's way into the net and somehow went in. But if it wasn't for Roy early on, might have been a different out come. With that team and roster, I though we'd for sure get another Cup soon, but had to wait 21 years.

In 2022, looking back, we dominated the playoffs. Blues were probably our toughest opponent, but we dominated the majority of the play throughout that series. and almost all the other games. Even when we were down, we knew we'd make a come back. It was almost a perfect playoffs, never lost 2 in a row, never faced elimination. However, being 21 freaking years since we last won, this one felt deserved.

So, I totally can't pick which one. I suck.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I voted 2022 because I was more sober and remember everything from this run than 96 and 01

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Let’s win this for Colorado’s greatest landmark!

269B502F-FEC1-4695-BB55-B57AAB8E6493.jpeg

Snow Arc

Friendly neighborhood Snow Arc
Aug 14, 2020
I almost voted for 2022 because of Kadri but 1996 was Suuuuperamazing.

Borque...! Can I revote?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
EPIC GDT!

Man, those first three options are all so special. I became a fan of hockey in the early 90s but never picked a team to cheer for until the Nordiques moved to Colorado. When they traded for Roy that sealed the deal and they've been my claimed team since even though I've never lived in Colorado. But that first team was so stacked, and we pretty much stayed that way through the 01 championship. I think I was guilty of taking those things for granted. I was actually at sea on sub in the Navy when they won in 96, but I remember us getting message traffic stating Sakic had won the Smythe, and I knew what that meant baby! I never got to see game scores until we got back to home port and I found an ESPN magazine. Getting news on a sub sucked in the 90s.

But man, with all the health issues I've had lately and with how bad the team had become, I wasn't sure I would get to see another championship in my lifetime. That's why I voted for 2022. I made so damn sure to just soak in every single minute of every game I could last season. It was pure heaven and I think my spirit-buddy Maxy probably felt the same.

I think my cancer diagnosis created a major shift in my mindset towards gratefulness for what I do have and that is probably why I've been so even keeled about what's going on this season. I understand we mortgaged a lot for that championship, and it was going to create issues moving forward. But we're still rocking a core of MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Toews, Nichushkin, Byram, and Girard and got an upgrade in net with Georgiev. I mean, this is still a ridiculously talented group that just hasn't been really totally healthy for long stretches, and we've got Lehkonen, Manson and Landy in the wings healing up.

In some cases, these injuries might actually benefit next season because it gave some NHL experience to guys who might be on the roster next season (Foudy, Meyers, etc.) It was good for them to see where they truly stand against NHL competition and then be able to go back to work on what needs upping.

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
Shut down boldy and hartman and it's a wrap

I am not afraid to express my dislike for the mild and the horse they rode in on

Let's see a domination by the Avs for the Home Crowd tonight !

P.S. '96 will always be tops for me , it was like the new kid in town saying hi I'm here !

and Roy

Avaholic19

Sep 19, 2007
Greeley
I didn't start watching Avs hockey until the 2002 playoffs. I was in high school and one night, looking for something to watch while I did homework, I just left in on hockey. I became hooked from that moment on.

Throughout my lifetime, it was always just Avs have won 2 cups. I got to witness the end of our run and greatness and all the heartache and loss throughout the following years. Watching almost every game on tv, every season so yeah I like the 2022 cup the best. I feel like I paid my dues almost as much as the team I was following.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Meghan Angley wrote:
Alex Newhook on tonight's contest against Minnesota: "We’re trying to ramp it up going into playoffs and trying to bring that intensity every night. But tonight, it definitely adds a little extra too with the division on the line."

I can't wait for Newhook to ramp up his play. Really looking forward to it.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
96 I felt like i was the only person I knew who watched game 4 of the final. Parents had gone to bed way before the end. Kids at school could not have cared less and I think school was already out for summer. Obviously my hockey season was over too.

Made experiencing it, through the TV mind you, extremely personal.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad