GDT: Stanley Cup Champion vs other team | 8 PM MT

Choose Your Favorite Championship

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ain't nothin' gonna top 2001 in my eyes. Watching Ray lift that Cup will forever be my ultimate moment as a sports fan.

That said, 2022 was a wild ride and one of the most dominant runs I've ever seen. They lost a total of FOUR games. And practically the whole time they had a goalie with one fully functional eye.
Definitely agree on all accounts. The 2022 team might have not been the best team, but so many crazy moments that I think surpass a lot of the 2001 and 1996 runs. The Oilers series was bonkers, the number of injuries Avs had to overcome, beating the Blues with seconds left, and going crazy against the Predators, However, nothing will ever beat the 2001 Final because both teams were just crazy good. If it wasn't for Roy in I think Game 6, Devils would have won.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Definitely agree on all accounts. The 2022 team might have not been the best team, but so many crazy moments that I think surpass a lot of the 2001 and 1996 runs. The Oilers series was bonkers, the number of injuries Avs had to overcome, beating the Blues with seconds left, and going crazy against the Predators, However, nothing will ever beat the 2001 Final because both teams were just crazy good. If it wasn't for Roy in I think Game 6, Devils would have won.

Yeah, Roy 1000% deserved the Conn Smythe that year. They could practically rename that trophy after him.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
1996 was like one of those Holiday Lexus commercials where the family wakes up Christmas morning and there's $60,000 SUV parked in the driveway with a bow on it. Who are these guys? Is this really our team? Are they really that good? Can we drive it? What's offsides anyway? It was a gift we really didn't earn.

2001 was "Bourque or Bust", and for me was more like a business trip to get RB a Cup. But as somebody said above, the Avs and the Devils were insanely good.

2022 was just a complete blast, start to finish.

Last edited:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Hard to choose between 2001 and 2022. Both were special.

At the beginning of that 2001 season, if someone told you that the Avs would beat the defending champions without Peter Forsberg, I would accuse them on being on lots of drugs.

Conversely, if someone told you that the 2022 Avs would beat the two-time defending champions with the shittiest goal-tending in the playoffs since 1988... drugs.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Biggest game of the season. We'll, of course, lay a dud and witness a 7-1 L. NewJost directly responsible for 5 goals against but also scores the only goal of the game for us.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I voted 2022 being such an incredible run at 16-4, EJ hoisting the Cup and I am so glad Mack, Landy and Makar won a Cup. It was a tough choice though because Sakic handing Ray the Cup is priceless and one of the coolest moment in hockey history. Gave me goosebumps and tears in my eyes.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
2001 was fun until Foppa got hurt.

See I didn't feel that way at all, they just slapped together the unlikeliest of 2nd lines in Nieminen-Drury-Hinote and IT WORKED. That was fun as hell to watch those guys, and I still maintain to this day that trading away Nieminen the following year was a gigantic mistake.

Foppa getting hurt always felt inevitable. The one or two times it wasn't was when the AMP line was doin' its thing. Then the Hockey Gods decided it should be Sakic who gets hurt.

The only downside to that 2001 run was that it was smack-dab in the prime of the original Dead Puck Era. The fact that Joe Sakic was able to completely tie up defenses back when it was perfectly legal to tackle guys is a miracle in and of itself.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can’t believe any of you are picking 2022.

It was miserable here in every single GDT right up until the last 3 seconds of game 6.

It didn’t read like any of you were enjoying the ride.
You must be new here. This forum was built on the back of fan nihilism and Chicken Little-caliber meltdowns.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

It was miserable here in every single GDT right up until the last 3 seconds of game 6.

You might have a point. I probably can't enjoy a playoff game like I once could when the Avs are involved. I just want them to win so badly it becomes nerve wracking. BUT, I will say that the 2022 was by far the most satisfying to watch. Once that final seconded passed and we got to watch Gabe lift the cup, it was pure ecstasy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Tough spot for me tonight.

In the finals of my fantasy hockey league where I have Gustavsson as my goalie going up against Georgiev on the other side. I also had Ullmark last night go up against Saros on the other side and lost that duel, so kind of need a Gustavsson win and strong performance in this game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
See I didn't feel that way at all, they just slapped together the unlikeliest of 2nd lines in Nieminen-Drury-Hinote and IT WORKED. That was fun as hell to watch those guys, and I still maintain to this day that trading away Nieminen the following year was a gigantic mistake.

Foppa getting hurt always felt inevitable. The one or two times it wasn't was when the AMP line was doin' its thing. Then the Hockey Gods decided it should be Sakic who gets hurt.

The only downside to that 2001 run was that it was smack-dab in the prime of the original Dead Puck Era. The fact that Joe Sakic was able to completely tie up defenses back when it was perfectly legal to tackle guys is a miracle in and of itself.
The results were great but I wanted to see my guy play all 4 rounds especially since he was so good the 2 years prior in the playoffs. Basically eliminated Detroit by himself.

Reactions: dahrougem2

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Let's Go Avalanche!

1680128186943.png

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Thats true. I was the only one really enjoying it.

Tough spot for me tonight.

In the finals of my fantasy hockey league where I have Gustavsson as my goalie going up against Georgiev on the other side. I also had Ullmark last night go up against Saros on the other side and lost that duel, so kind of need a Gustavsson win and strong performance in this game.
dress Gus. Hes winning this one but it likely goes to extras. Avs blowing a late lead seems in the cards tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: 5280

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad