Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Lot of good reviews about Chris Rock's new standup special on Netflix. Watching right now.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I'm halfway through Judd Apatow's "The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling" documentary on HBO. It's a two-part, four hour documentary, so it's a lot of Shandling, especially the first hour, which I thought dragged. The second hour focuses more on Shandling's rise to fame as a stand-up comedian, while also guest hosting the Tonight Show and working on "It's the Garry Shandling Show". Part One of the documentary ends with a tease for "The Larry Sanders Show". I'm looking forward to this half.

What I hadn't recalled was that Garry voluntarily walked away from guest hosting the Tonight Show. He and Jay Leno had been sharing hosting duties whenever Johnny was away, but Shandling found the workload too much, considering he was also doing his own show. I liked Leno when he first stepped in as co-host (no more than Shandling -- and possibly less), but I didn't care for Jay when he took over permanently for Carson.

Some of Shandling's standup material shown in the documentary wasn't quite as funny as I remember...maybe a little too tame? The hair jokes were always good. Regardless, I always respected Shandling as a comedian. His niche is perhaps as a writer and comedic actor, although his stand-up placed him among the best.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I am addicted to The Joe Rogan podcast because it is usually pretty good but his stand up sucks. I don't think I have ever laughed at anything he has ever said. He just seems not to get good punchlines or building up to one.

Sep 19, 2008
On a related topic Louis CK did standup in NY for the first time since he had to "disappear" following allegations which were later shown to be true

The odd thing is I wasn't really surprised when the news broke at the time. He always talked about it in his act if you've ever seen him live.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
On a related topic Louis CK did standup in NY for the first time since he had to "disappear" following allegations which were later shown to be true

The odd thing is I wasn't really surprised when the news broke at the time. He always talked about it in his act if you've ever seen him live.

I figured he’d be back at some point. A little surprised it’s this soon I guess.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Carlin is pretty tame compared with some of the stuff that's come out in the last 15-20 years.

Wasn't really so much the funny for me but how he was honest about life and all of that.

Don't see much comedy pushed anymore, the late night shows try it but Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon are no comedians.

Dane Cook when he arrived years ago wasn't bad, I can't think of too many, I mean honestly, he's not stand up but Jeff Dunham is as good as any of the stand up stuff now. I wouldn't tell you that except I attended a show and that changed my mind. The jokes are at the expense of everything. So no matter one's stance theres an opportunity to laugh.

Comedy central is now a joke, they don't even promote comedians anymore. Sometimes they'll show something late at night of idiots like Schumer and Kevin Hart but outside of the roasts theres very little comedy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Netflix is great for comedians. Youtube also. Spotify actually streams entire comedy albums/specials for when I'm on road trips.

It's actually the most exposure I've ever had to comedy.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'll say this about the Louis C.K. stuff...I don't think a person like a comedian (who is basically an independent contractor) should stop doing work because of accusations or in his case he owned up to what was reported about him (not giving him a medal for that or anything). If the "comedy community" doesn't want him back in, I don't think that collective speaks for everyone in the group. There are some willing to give him another chance.

If a single comedy club isn't opposed to putting him (or her) on stage and that person is willing to accept the public backlash or accept the lack of adulation or a warm reception...then let it be. I'd rather the public who go to these shows and pay the money decide if they want to see some like him knowing what they know. Didn't Bill Cosby still do shows after the stuff came out about him?

My thing is if you don't approve of the person, don't go to their shows but don't tell other people what to do. I don't judge you if you'd still like to watch him perform. Granted, he did a surprise spot at the club. It's not like they sold tickets with him as the headliner.

I don't approve of what he did but I still enjoy his brand of comedy. I will listen to his bits (and laugh) on satellite radio when they come on.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Wasn't really so much the funny for me but how he was honest about life and all of that.

Don't see much comedy pushed anymore, the late night shows try it but Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon are no comedians.

Dane Cook when he arrived years ago wasn't bad, I can't think of too many, I mean honestly, he's not stand up but Jeff Dunham is as good as any of the stand up stuff now. I wouldn't tell you that except I attended a show and that changed my mind. The jokes are at the expense of everything. So no matter one's stance theres an opportunity to laugh.

Comedy central is now a joke, they don't even promote comedians anymore. Sometimes they'll show something late at night of idiots like Schumer and Kevin Hart but outside of the roasts theres very little comedy.
Wow. Okay.

Reactions: Pilky01

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'll say this about the Louis C.K. stuff...

So you're a female comedian hanging out in the green room before a show when Louis CK steps in. How are you feeling?

It's hard to deal with "facts" in hypotheticals, but I feel fairly confident in stating this as fact: If Louis CK sucked as a comedian, he'd never be allowed on a stage of any prominence again for the rest of his life. But he's hilarious, so people look for ways to diminish the effects of his behavior and marginalize his victims, and talk themselves into this being okay. Unfortunately, quality of standing/talent vs. punishment is pretty much a universal phenomenon in this world. Hell, just look at the NHL, in terms of punishing star players vs. scrubs.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

ummm, Bill Burr?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So you're a female comedian hanging out in the green room before a show when Louis CK steps in. How are you feeling?

It's hard to deal with "facts" in hypotheticals, but I feel fairly confident in stating this as fact: If Louis CK sucked as a comedian, he'd never be allowed on a stage of any prominence again for the rest of his life. But he's hilarious, so people look for ways to diminish the effects of his behavior and marginalize his victims, and talk themselves into this being okay. Unfortunately, quality of standing/talent vs. punishment is pretty much a universal phenomenon in this world. Hell, just look at the NHL, in terms of punishing star players vs. scrubs.

Any female comic worth a damn is feeling hopeful that he whips it out and starts masterbating. That's 10 minutes worth of new material right there!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI

I'm not going to speak for female comedians or other male comedians...I'm speaking from the perspective of a consumer and fan of comedy. I don't like the current environment overall where people not directly involved with a situation speak on behalf another person or a group. I can only speak for myself.

Does he get a second chance because of who he is? Well, probably yeah...or he's going to get a better opportunity to redeem himself compared to other people of less fame. Your NHL or pro sports comparison is mostly true. We are starting to see guys not getting those second chances as often as before due to questionable/criminal behavior.

My thing is let the comedy community sort this out themselves but let the comedy fans decide who they want to support or not. If you don't approve of what he did and you don't want to support him anymore...I'm not going to any argue with anyone if that's how they feel. He's done something in his past that will make you think twice about wanting to support or be a fan of his projects or stand up.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Well, I'm not sure why this is turning into a thread about Louis' transgressions, but I'll get back on track here:

Netflix is quite the hot-bed for stand-up comedy now. They did a great job of getting into that market of stand-up specials.

One of the more intriguing "stand-up" guys for me is Reggie Watts... definitely no one else out there like him.

Demetri Martin has a pretty solid new one on there. His extended bit "If I" is a pretty epic piece of work.

I didn't read through all the pages, but I haven't seen Jon Mulaney mentioned throughout here, he's absolutely hilarious in my opinion.

Chad Daniels has some pretty edgy and funny material without getting into the Black comedy of guys like Jeselnik.

Bob Saget has some pretty shocking comedy if you've only seen him as Danny Tanner and you're not familiar with his stand-up style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad