Stan Kroenke joins real estate group building NHL/NBA quality arena in San Diego

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Ah, I may have misundersood the discussion taking place. I assumed it was about markets and revenue, arguing a market like San Diego vs a smaller one.

OK I see where you're coming from. "Total revenue" is certainly one metric, but "cheaper to see the game" is a different but completely understandable one.

Like I said - I heard anecdotally people saying it was cheaper to fly to Vegas to see a game then see one in Edmonton. My 2 minutes of research showed it's definitely cheaper to get into Vegas than Edmonton, though I have my doubts about adding the flight (never mind hotel).

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
OK I see where you're coming from. "Total revenue" is certainly one metric, but "cheaper to see the game" is a different but completely understandable one.

Like I said - I heard anecdotally people saying it was cheaper to fly to Vegas to see a game then see one in Edmonton. My 2 minutes of research showed it's definitely cheaper to get into Vegas than Edmonton, though I have my doubts about adding the flight (never mind hotel).

Yeah, I thought you guys were talking about how much revenue each team brings in, like "Vegas sells out because they give tickets away" kind of stuff.

Can't imagine why on the BOH forum, I just assumed that's what the convo was!

:sarcasm:

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I think that San Diego could work. It is 18th largest MSA in America at 3.27mil, just above Denver at an even 3.0 and they are a four sport city. I also see potential for bringing in fans due to the relative sports vacuum created by the NFL leaving.

I guess the biggest question is if you want to go to the 18th largest MSA when you have holes in #5, #6, #10 (Houston, Atlanta, and Phoenix respectively).

I know I know, they just went into Salt Lake which is #46 on this list (😳) but that was more of an emergency relocation with a willing ownership group and strong municipal backing. Basically everything went right for SLC but the NHL didn't really "want" SLC; they wanted rid of a problem.

With only so many potential expansion teams left to go around, the NHL can't waste any more slots you know? I suppose you could go into all four of the above mentioned markets and move a Nashville over into the eastern conference. I just think San Diego is more on the "everything has to fall into place for us to get one" side of the equation rather than the "NHL wants to go there" side. San Diego needs their Ryan Smith basically. Is Stan Kroenke that guy? I don't really understand why he has his paw prints all over this project when he already owns an NHL franchise.

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I think that San Diego could work. It is 18th largest MSA in America at 3.27mil, just above Denver at an even 3.0 and they are a four sport city. I also see potential for bringing in fans due to the relative sports vacuum created by the NFL leaving.

I guess the biggest question is if you want to go to the 18th largest MSA when you have holes in #5, #6, #10 (Houston, Atlanta, and Phoenix respectively).

I think San Diego is definitely a place the NHL should target, because while you mention three cities with more people... those other markets have NFL and NBA and San Diego does not.

It's the fourth-largest market without an NHL team.
It's the fourth-largest market without an NBA team.
It's the fourth-largest market without an NFL team.

Think of it from the perspective of "fan dollars per person needed to provide league average revenue for all the market's big five teams." That's obviously not how it really works, but it shows you the likelihood of one team being financially successful.

For example, NY and LA have so many people that it's like $60-$75 per person to reach the average revenue to have ONE NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS team in those cities. For the 11 New York has, it's $146 per person.

So to add an NHL team would be:
$210 - Houston
$221 - Atlanta
$226 - Quebec
$293 - Phoenix

$187 - San Diego

(Again, this isn't like "how it works" because corporate dollars are a massive factor, which is why everyone's gung-ho on Vegas, which is $323 per person for NFL and NHL now, and would be $643 if they get an MLB and NBA team.)

But it does illustrate how the market saturation for sports dollars is real.

Reactions: Bucky_Hoyt

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I think San Diego is definitely a place the NHL should target, because while you mention three cities with more people... those other markets have NFL and NBA and San Diego does not.

It's the fourth-largest market without an NHL team.
It's the fourth-largest market without an NBA team.
It's the fourth-largest market without an NFL team.

Think of it from the perspective of "fan dollars per person needed to provide league average revenue for all the market's big five teams." That's obviously not how it really works, but it shows you the likelihood of one team being financially successful.

For example, NY and LA have so many people that it's like $60-$75 per person to reach the average revenue to have ONE NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS team in those cities. For the 11 New York has, it's $146 per person.

So to add an NHL team would be:
$210 - Houston
$221 - Atlanta
$226 - Quebec
$293 - Phoenix

$187 - San Diego

(Again, this isn't like "how it works" because corporate dollars are a massive factor, which is why everyone's gung-ho on Vegas, which is $323 per person for NFL and NHL now, and would be $643 if they get an MLB and NBA team.)

But it does illustrate how the market saturation for sports dollars is real.
I definitely don't disagree with this assessment. Like I said San Diego has a sports vacuum with the Chargers leaving. Their MLB team had some amazing growth once they became the only game in town. There's definitely room for one more sports franchise down there and there's no reason it can't be hockey.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I definitely don't disagree with this assessment. Like I said San Diego has a sports vacuum with the Chargers leaving. Their MLB team had some amazing growth once they became the only game in town. There's definitely room for one more sports franchise down there and there's no reason it can't be hockey.
They have mls coming in next year

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
MLS is not major league. Every other NHL, MLB, and NFL are the top leagues in the world in their respective sport. MLS isn't even one of the top 5 leagues in its sport.

KevFu

May 22, 2009

And there's only three markets larger than SD that don't have MLS.

Montreal, Orlando and San Diego are the only Top 20 markets that don't have at least four of the big five. But Orlando's suburbs are only like 50 miles from Tampa's suburbs and they have a combined six teams in the five sports (2 MLS).

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
MLS is not major league. Every other NHL, MLB, and NFL are the top leagues in the world in their respective sport. MLS isn't even one of the top 5 leagues in its sport.
But I bet the two Los Angeles MLS soccer teams are as popular if not more so in the Los Angeles market in just their short history vs. the Kings and Ducks.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
But I bet the two Los Angeles MLS soccer teams are as popular if not more so in the Los Angeles market in just their short history vs. the Kings and Ducks.

To be fair, and I know Apple/MLS Season Pass streaming exists but that doesn't excuse these numbers in any way.

LAFC, two Saturday's ago got 196k avg viewership on FOX. On FOX! A Big 4 network, and a live U.S. based sporting event got 196k. I know you know how bad, beyond bad that is.

Not to be outdone, Los Angeles Galaxy got a combined 60k Sunday on FS1 & Fox Deportes. 60k, for a live sporting event on cable. FWIW Bassmaster at 5amPT got 103k on FS1, same day same channel.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
It may not be up there with EPL, Serie-A etc. but it is climbing and it's the only top-of-pyramid football/soccer league the US and Canada is going to get. Franchises are going for half a billion now. That was the going rate for an NHL team a decade ago.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
And there's only three markets larger than SD that don't have MLS.

Montreal, Orlando and San Diego are the only Top 20 markets that don't have at least four of the big five. But Orlando's suburbs are only like 50 miles from Tampa's suburbs and they have a combined six teams in the five sports (2 MLS).
Tampa doesn't have an MLS team. There is talk as a 'hopeful' but nothing official.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
It may not be up there with EPL, Serie-A etc. but it is climbing and it's the only top-of-pyramid football/soccer league the US and Canada is going to get. Franchises are going for half a billion now. That was the going rate for an NHL team a decade ago.

The main thing as it pertains to the discussion is the revenue. Where MLS stands in the landscape of world soccer leagues doesn't really matter when we're talking about the saturation of the market for fan dollars.

The average MLS team brings in $75 million in revenue. So while it's a "minor league" in the world soccer landscape, it's a Major League in terms of "significant amount of money the same fans are providing."

Because a "minor league team" brings in about $10m in revenue on average.

I've seen people pointing out in threads on BOH than an NHL owner losing $40-$60 million is extremely bad. So maybe we should consider the $40-$60m difference in market saturation that MLS teams account for.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Be honest,

Would people rather have Phoenix or San Diego as a market?

I'd answer San Diego, but with the caveat that the reason it's San Diego is solely because Phoenix has NFL, MLB and NBA competing for sports dollars; while San Diego has MLB and MLS.

San Diego leads MLB in attendance. San Diego went from "Small market baseball club" to "Spending more than the Yankees" when the Chargers left town. Their sponsorship dollars soared; their ticket revenue soared (they jacked up their prices for both). Because everyone giving money to the Chargers gave it to the Padres when the NFL left!

It's not a value judgement of "San Diego" vs "Phoenix." It's merely a value judgement of market saturation.

The opposite is true for Milwaukee. No one is clamoring for the NHL in Milwaukee. They're really small to be a four-sport city. But if the Bucks and Brewers moved tomorrow, the NHL filling that void makes a ton of sense.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Personally, I think SD could land an NHL team if they get this building to properly incorporate hockey into the design. I'm thinking relo over expansion but I'm no oracle. Phoenix... Eh... not so much.
Relocation from where?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Personally, I think SD could land an NHL team if they get this building to properly incorporate hockey into the design. I'm thinking relo over expansion but I'm no oracle. Phoenix... Eh... not so much.

It's going to be a hockey arena. It's replacing the arena the San Diego Gulls play in, they'd be the primary tenant if there's no NHL/NBA team.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I really think the future is 36 teams with the four below coming in:
arz
houston
atlanta
san diego

QC is always going to be an emergency relocation site. I hate it, I miss the nordiques, but that is the reality in 2024. Other locations with interest are really just going to be there for emergency backup.

The one major X factor is IF Ontario gets a 2.0. It can be argued both ways but I think it is foolish to dismiss that as a real possibility.

Reactions: JKG33

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I really think the future is 36 teams with the four below coming in:
arz
houston
atlanta
san diego

QC is always going to be an emergency relocation site. I hate it, I miss the nordiques, but that is the reality in 2024. Other locations with interest are really just going to be there for emergency backup.

The one major X factor is IF Ontario gets a 2.0. It can be argued both ways but I think it is foolish to dismiss that as a real possibility.

I could see that, but we all know there's like one step for Arizona and Atlanta (arena deals done) and one step for Houston (Feritta pulling the trigger) and one step for Quebec (PKP adding a partner so there's enough money to buy the team).

San Diego and almost anyone else we can think of have 2 steps or 3 steps. San Diego is trying to build an arena, but not trying to own a team, because the Kroenkes already have one. They need an arena AND an owner. (Or an arena AND a buyer for the Avalanche, but that seems unlikely).

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad