Stan Kroenke joins real estate group building NHL/NBA quality arena in San Diego

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I bet San Diego would be great for the NHL, especially if the NBA doesn't beat them to it.

I doubt a proposed opening date in 2025, but I guess that's a problem where the solution is to throw more money at the project.

Reactions: DaveG

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Or maybe another possible landing spot for the Coyotes if solution in the Valley to the arena issue can't be found? But I'd be OK with Atlanta and San Diego as teams 33 and 34 (in no particular order), as well.

To me, the news of Kroenke being involved makes San Diego a LESS LIKELY landing spot for the Coyotes, because the Kronke family (because of the NFL technically), owns the Avalanche and Nuggets. He ain't trading 2-for-1 for the San Diego Coyotes.

The problems that exist in the world of sports/land deals is that everyone wants to profits, no one wants the bills. The Coyotes wanted that kind of project in Tempe, because it makes sense for one person to get all the revenue streams from having a team bringing fans to that commercial area.

Does it make sense for the Coyotes owner to go to an entertainment district they don't own (again)? Probably not.

Also, the Midway Rising project was in existence and working its way through the process before this news. I referenced it the day the Coyotes referendum lost. This is just Kroenke buying into the project as lead investor instead of the other guy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
lol NFL isn't going 34 teams. It screws up alignment big time.
They definitely won’t give an an ounce of a shit about alignment whenever they do decide to expand.

If the SD arena is going to be 16,000 that would be good. I’d be curious if they can get it to hold more via SRO or something.

Reactions: WaW

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
NFL would likely go direct to 36 and +4 teams than 34 and +2 teams for the divisional/conference alignment and balance. This is important where there are so few games with the fact these are only weekly and scheduling formula balance. NHL could continue to add 1 team every 4 years without much issue since teams play daily.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
To me, the news of Kroenke being involved makes San Diego a LESS LIKELY landing spot for the Coyotes, because the Kronke family (because of the NFL technically), owns the Avalanche and Nuggets. He ain't trading 2-for-1 for the San Diego Coyotes.

There ways around that, Kronke could put a family member as the owner on paper or be a minority owner of a larger group.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I bet San Diego would be great for the NHL, especially if the NBA doesn't beat them to it.

I doubt a proposed opening date in 2025, but I guess that's a problem where the solution is to throw more money at the project.
SD has no competing team in the winter, unlike SLC. Could be interesting.

EDIT: Spanos sucks. Just want to add that.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Call me crazy, but that screams to me that they're using the "NHL/NBA quality" adage to get public support for more of a dedicated events center akin to Sprint Center in Kansas City rather than fishing for an expansion or relocation team in either league.

Agreed.

San Diego is in dire need of a new general purpose arena. The current one is nearly 60 years old and just can't measure up to anything. I watched (pre-AHL) Gulls games and attended a couple of concerts in the current arena in the mid-late 90's and it was a horrible venue even then.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
There ways around that, Kronke could put a family member as the owner on paper or be a minority owner of a larger group.

They've already exhausted the family thing: Stan Kroenke owns the LA Rams. His wife owns the Avalanche and Nuggets. The NFL requires that kind of arrangement because the Avs/Nugs are in another NFL team's market...

That rule existed in the NFL so different NFL owners were not competing for the same sports dollars in the same city. It had petty feud implications, like "The Cleveland Indians controlled the stadium and the Browns paid rent... Pittsburgh Steelers owners hate Cleveland, he could buy the INDIANS and become the Browns landlord."

But THIS would be different. There's no way Stan can buy the Coyotes and move them to San Diego when Ann owns the Avalanche. It's a conflict of interest for either team to operate when their owners are literally in bed with each other.

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
It's far more likely that Kroenke was brought in to get the land/arena deal done because he has gravitas as one of the most powerful guys in sports; but he has no intention of owning a team in San Diego.

This makes Coyotes to San Diego less likely because the team would essentially be tenants of the development and not be profiteering on it; and that's what the Coyotes had in Glendale.

UNLESS, that after just winning back-to-back titles in Denver with Avs then Nuggets, the Kronkes think this would be the perfect time to sell the Denver sports empire, establish the same thing in San Diego so they're near the LA Rams.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
They should move the Ducks to San Diego

That'd be silly. They should put teams in San Diego and Riverside before taking a team out of Anaheim.

They definitely won’t give an an ounce of a shit about alignment whenever they do decide to expand.

The NFL shouldn't even HAVE divisions anyway. You don't need them. There's 15 conference opponents, and 17 games. Just play everyone in the conference once and your top two rivals twice. You're done.

None of this SOS crap or 8-9 division winners, or fourth tie-breaker non-sense. If you're tied in the standings, you played one game head to head with 13 of the other 15 teams. There's only two teams you could need a second tie-breaker with.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That'd be silly. They should put teams in San Diego and Riverside before taking a team out of Anaheim.

The NFL shouldn't even HAVE divisions anyway. You don't need them. There's 15 conference opponents, and 17 games. Just play everyone in the conference once and your top two rivals twice. You're done.

None of this SOS crap or 8-9 division winners, or fourth tie-breaker non-sense. If you're tied in the standings, you played one game head to head with 13 of the other 15 teams. There's only two teams you could need a second tie-breaker with.
That would never happen because you don’t have any interconference matchups.

I don’t know how NFL expansion would work because they don’t have a real reason to expand within the US, there’s no market they can add that would make the league more valuable, only getting outrageously friendly stadium deals. It’s all figuring out how to make a London team work and eventually having a full division of European teams.

Reactions: Voight

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
If is 16K for NBA you're talking 14.5K for NHL. Wouldn't that be too small?

Regarding Kroenke he is probably going with the AEG/Oakview Group strategy where he invests in venues all over the place. It also makes sense for him to have a stake in a venue in San Diego given that he owns SoFi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad