Stan Kroenke joins real estate group building NHL/NBA quality arena in San Diego

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Could be, if NBA is planning on expanding to 36.

But 31 and 32 are all but confirmed, Vegas and Seattle.

But if San Diego lands an NHL team before then, I am not sure NBA will be interested.
They should be if they want to tap into Mexico. I think that’s the bigger reward for being in the market, and why it’s significant that the NHL beat the NBA to Vegas and (back to) Seattle.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Could be, if NBA is planning on expanding to 36.

But 31 and 32 are all but confirmed, Vegas and Seattle.

But if San Diego lands an NHL team before then, I am not sure NBA will be interested.

Since they don't have football, I think they could support both NBA and NHL.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
They already tried twice…. The ABA Conquistadors and the NBA Clippers.
They had the Rockets too. Its been 40 years since the Clippers left. San Diego won't be getting the NFL back and San Diego State isn't a big draw like SEC football is so it would seem to me that there would be room for NBA as well, maybe they would have to let the market absorb one team before adding the second but it seems like the wealth is there.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Why wouldn't San Diego be a contender for an NBA franchise?

They could be. The NBA and MLB are gearing up to hit 32. The NBA could announce it at any point, the MLB will be moving towards that once the A's and Rays situations are concrete. The MLS will join the NBA and MLB next year with 30 teams, ironically enough in San Diego. The NFL, depending on who you ask, is either fine with 32 teams or looking to raise it to 36 with an "international division". All four will be watching the NHL if they go beyond 32, which is the most likeliest league to expand first.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They could be. The NBA and MLB are gearing up to hit 32. The NBA could announce it at any point, the MLB will be moving towards that once the A's and Rays situations are concrete. The MLS will join the NBA and MLB next year with 30 teams, ironically enough in San Diego. The NFL, depending on who you ask, is either fine with 32 teams or looking to raise it to 36 with an "international division". All four will be watching the NHL if they go beyond 32, which is the most likeliest league to expand first.
The one thing the NHL has that that the other leagues don't have is viable small Canadian markets. The NHL already has 7 NHL markets and there at least two more places a team could work (Quebec aand Toronto/Southwestern Ontario) whereas I'm not sure the other leagues can work In Canadian other than Toronto, Montreal, ad Vancouver.

Reactions: sneakytitz

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
The one thing the NHL has that that the other leagues don't have is viable small Canadian markets. The NHL already has 7 NHL markets and there at least two more places a team could work (Quebec aand Toronto/Southwestern Ontario) whereas I'm not sure the other leagues can work In Canadian other than Toronto, Montreal, ad Vancouver.

As a diehard Atlanta Braves fan, I pray/hope for the return of the Montreal Expos. I hope they're 31 or 32. Screw Nashville, Orlando, Charlotte, and all the rest. Montreal needs to be back in the MLB.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I just realized that Grizzlies owner Robert Pera is actually from San Diego.

Reactions: sneakytitz

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
As a diehard Atlanta Braves fan, I pray/hope for the return of the Montreal Expos. I hope they're 31 or 32. Screw Nashville, Orlando, Charlotte, and all the rest. Montreal needs to be back in the MLB.
They'd need a new stadium, but yeah, I'm down for the return of the Expos if they can find a new place to play in Montreal.

They already tried twice…. The ABA Conquistadors and the NBA Clippers.
Seeing as how I'm from Atlanta, I think you can probably guess what I think of THIS argument.

EvilDecoy

Mar 16, 2024
I just realized that Grizzlies owner Robert Pera is actually from San Diego.
He's actually from the Bay Area but he did go to college in San Diego. I think there was some fear in Memphis that when he bought the Grizzlies he would try to move them to San Jose. Larry Ellison also inquired about the Grizzlies way back when he failed to buy the Warriors.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Like to see San Diego get a NHL ream since the NFL and NBA have slammed the door on them!Instantly the Kings,Duck become rivals and even the Sharks,Stars, and Coyotes if they're still around

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
He's actually from the Bay Area but he did go to college in San Diego. I think there was some fear in Memphis that when he bought the Grizzlies he would try to move them to San Jose. Larry Ellison also inquired about the Grizzlies way back when he failed to buy the Warriors.
He also started his company there (although the HQ is now in NY). I don't know much about the guy so I don't know where his heart is. Just thought the timing of the lease expiring in Memphis (2029) and an arena in San Diego opening around that time was an interesting coincidence

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If Memphis can host an NBA team, any of those cities can EASILY support NBA team. Or MLB team.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Seven viable small Canadian markets? That’s utterly laughable. Both Ottawa & now Winnipeg are dumpster fires. Edmonton had three #1 overall picks in a row. Calgary has ongoing arena drama. Only Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver have been reasonably stable. And now, you want to add a much smaller Quebec market into the mix which will most likely require some sort of aid ten years in…again.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why 16k? Isn’t 18-20 standard? I know jets have a small arena but I would think this would be small for a new arena with a growing population.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Seven viable small Canadian markets? That’s utterly laughable. Both Ottawa & now Winnipeg are dumpster fires. Edmonton had three #1 overall picks in a row. Calgary has ongoing arena drama. Only Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver have been reasonably stable. And now, you want to add a much smaller Quebec market into the mix which will most likely require some sort of aid ten years in…again.
That's rich coming from a fan of a team where the league literally stepped in to save the franchise too. What an obsession you have when your own franchise has had it's own issues. Plus ownership and fanbase size and market share have nothing to do with the on ice results you pointed out there.

All those teams are in viable markets, but that doesnt mean it always works out, or that it cant in the future.

How quickly fans forget their own franchise histories. Lots of people called for the Penguins relocation too, looks like that was a bit premature too, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
34+ teams league here we go...

I've long been against expansion.

But, being as pro-player as I am, if it raises player salaries I am for it. It JUST has to be sustainable. That's all. I think I've completely flipped since we've added Vegas and Seattle in to the mix.

If the league expanded to, say, 36 teams, I would want only one single game between conferences, though. Otherwise, you erode long-standing rivalries even further.

This arena does seem too small for the NHL, though.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
That's rich coming from a fan of a team where the league literally stepped in to save the franchise too. What an obsession you have when your own franchise has had it's own issues. Plus ownership and fanbase size and market share have nothing to do with the on ice results you pointed out there.

All those teams are in viable markets, but that doesnt mean it always works out, or that it cant in the future.

How quickly fans forget their own franchise histories. Lots of people called for the Penguins relocation too, looks like that was a bit premature too, doesn't it?
It’s not rich at all. Our hockey history goes back over 100 years. We had bad ownership, but fixed that. Set the NHL record for longest sellout streak too.

Speaking of bailouts, you should be praising Bettman. If weren’t for him, that Canadian Assistance Fund never happens & all those viable Canadian markets except for Toronto & Montreal go bye-bye.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
It’s not rich at all. Our hockey history goes back over 100 years. We had bad ownership, but fixed that. Set the NHL record for longest sellout streak too.

Speaking of bailouts, you should be praising Bettman. If weren’t for him, that Canadian Assistance Fund never happens & all those viable Canadian markets except for Toronto & Montreal go bye-bye.
It was wrong to assume the Pens werent viable then, just like it is now, with the teams you are naming today.

Many variables that have nothing to do with fanbases and market share. You know it better than most.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
PHX -> SLC
Team #33 -> Atlanta
Team #34 -> Houston
Team #35 -> SD
Team #36 -> Tor2/QC possibly?

I think San Diego needs to hurry up and get into the market before the NBA does.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
It was wrong to assume the Pens werent viable then, just like it is now, with the teams you are naming today.

Many variables that have nothing to do with fanbases and market share. You know it better than most.
perhaps, but in either case, blows apart the absurd notion that every Canadian market is solid just because of geography alone.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
PHX -> SLC
Team #33 -> Atlanta
Team #34 -> Houston
Team #35 -> SD
Team #36 -> Tor2/QC possibly?

I think San Diego needs to hurry up and get into the market before the NBA does.

I'd be surprised as to #36. Quebec has basically gone silent since a "mere" half a billion expansion fee was announced for Vegas, and the asking price now has only skyrocketed. Add to that the almost sure thing that a GTA team would require a hefty indemnity to the Leafs on top of the expansion fees, and you have a small European country's GDP of a fortune of an asking price.

Not seeing a move past seven teams north of the border barring a sudden relocation after a few expansions have already taken place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad