Stamkos these playoffs?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Was referring to more complete offensive game. Johnson is a great finisher, but Stamkos is the better play maker and opportunity creator.

Johnson might put up close to 40 goals in a season, but he'll never put up 90 points.

This is utterly false. Stamkos is the better Finisher than the two of them. After that, Johnson Dominates. Johnson is a better Playmaker and much better defensively than Stamkos.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Stamkos has been rather mediocre this year overall. Good during the regular season, but he really sucked in the playoffs until the end of the Montreal series.

Johnson on the other hand has been unbelievable since October. Right now, he is clearly Tampa's best.

However, I think that Johnson has reached his max and Stamkos will rebound next year.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Stamkos has been rather mediocre this year overall. Good during the regular season, but he really sucked in the playoffs until the end of the Montreal series.

Johnson on the other hand has been unbelievable since October. Right now, he is clearly Tampa's best.

However, I think that Johnson has reached his max and Stamkos will rebound next year.

Hopefully we can get someone on his line that isn't a tweener or utility player next year.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Stammer has lost a step after injury. It is clear he can't do what he used to do easily. When you lose your wheels you are near the end in todays nhl.

Ya, clearly he is near the end in today's NHL with 40+ goals this season.

Just not good enough for him....AHL bound.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Our fan base absolutely was ready to throw him away this year. All you gotta do is go back and look at all the game day threads and the rediculous crap people were saying.

He did have a bad year for his standards. I can't excuse the bone head plays he made. With that said, who else on the team would be able to produce what he did with the mosh posh of linemates he had? Killorn, Cally, Filppula etc. are great but none of them are as dynamic as Kucherov or Palat.

I lot of Johnson's success can be attributed to Palat and Kucherov. Hell, there was a thread before the playoffs that asked if you had to keep one of Palat or Johnson who would it be and the majority of people chose Palat.

That is the best line in hockey because they are ALL great. They click. It works, and they all feed off each other. Can't teach that.

Johnson is an exceptional talent and we are lucky to have him, but Stamkos is rare. Dude has been our star for 5+ year, breaks his leg, comes back and has one bad season and everyone craps on him.

Johnson may one day be better than Stamkos but he has to prove some longevity. He's off to a great start and is more valuable on special teams.

The negativity towards Stamkos this year has been kinda rediculous.

What have you done for me lately, I guess...

If you really must attribute Johnson's success to his linemates, then you can say the exact same about Stamkos and MSL.

Big contract coming up, no more MSL, see: Vinny Lecavalier

If you can't see why people are concerned, keep the glasses on I guess.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Stammer has lost a step or two since he got injured. He can no longer use his speed to break free of people. That is the biggest difference since his injury.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If you really must attribute Johnson's success to his linemates, then you can say the exact same about Stamkos and MSL.

Big contract coming up, no more MSL, see: Vinny Lecavalier

If you can't see why people are concerned, keep the glasses on I guess.

How old was Vinny when he started going down hill?

And, yes. A big part of Johnson's success this year has been Palat and Kucherov. They can all say the same for each other. You can attribute some of Stamkos' success to MSL. Just like OV with Backstrom or anyone else.

I get the contract talk, but all the other crap people have been talking all year is just stupid.

People look like fools how quickly they turned on this guy.

This guy went from "one of the best players in the world" to "bum, overrated, one dimensional, never was good, low hockey IQ, un-clutch, 4th liner at best" in the span of a year. And that was by our own posters on here!

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How old was Vinny when he started going down hill?

And, yes. A big part of Johnson's success this year has been Palat and Kucherov. They can all say the same for each other. You can attribute some of Stamkos' success to MSL. Just like OV with Backstrom or anyone else.

I get the contract talk, but all the other crap people have been talking all year is just stupid.

People look like fools how quickly they turned on this guy.

This guy went from "one of the best players in the world" to "bum, overrated, one dimensional, never was good, low hockey IQ, un-clutch, 4th liner at best" in the span of a year. And that was by our own posters on here!

Some of those terms are a little overboard, but you definitely cannot argue that he wasn't playing like a top-5 center like he is supposed to be this season, one-dimensional and low hockey IQ also described his play this season.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Johnson does benefit greatly from Palat. When Palat was hurt this year, that line was "meh". Drej is a pretty damned incredible complimentary player.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Some of those terms are a little overboard, but you definitely cannot argue that he wasn't playing like a top-5 center like he is supposed to be this season, one-dimensional and low hockey IQ also described his play this season.

It was one season...

After a freakin broken leg!

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This is utterly false. Stamkos is the better Finisher than the two of them. After that, Johnson Dominates. Johnson is a better Playmaker and much better defensively than Stamkos.

I disagree. I think Stamkos is much better at driving the net and creating space. He is less reliant on line mates for scoring chances.

Obviously Johnson is much better in his own end.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I disagree. I think Stamkos is much better at driving the net and creating space. He is less reliant on line mates for scoring chances.

Obviously Johnson is much better in his own end.

Love it. You disagree with the guys that have watched every game Tyler Johnson and Steven Stamkos has played as a pro.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I know he had the major injury last year...but what I'm really curious about is how much people (specifically TB fans) think the absence of MSL has hurt Stamkos as opposed to recovery from the injury, etc.

Did Stamkos ever play as well without MSL on his line previously?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
From what I've seen of the Caps and Rangers series, he isn't playing well. But even so, if they still dedicate top defensive talent to stop him then his team benefits. So it clearly has allowed for others to step up in a big way.

The Lightning didn't play against the Capitals.
Both the Rangers and the Canadiens had their top defensive pairings deployed against Johnson, not Stamkos.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
This guy scored over 40 goals this year and he had a bad year/lost a step?

Not buying it.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
This guy scored over 40 goals this year and he had a bad year/lost a step?

Not buying it.

Buy or don't buy. The guy had a bad year. The "Lost a step" folks are silly. His problems were all mental. Trusting his surgically repaired leg and trusting his linemates were/are mental hurdles he's still dealing with(although less than during the reg. season).

He spent the entire year thinking the game instead of instinctively playing it. It made him look like he'd lost a step at times, but I assure you, he's every bit as explosive skating as he was. He's still battling through his game mentally though, not all there just yet.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
Stamkos has 12 points so far and people want to run him out of town. He had 72 point during the regular season. Any body would want him on their team yet many Bolts fans bash him non stop. I just do not get it.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Stamkos has 12 points so far and people want to run him out of town. He had 72 point during the regular season. Any body would want him on their team yet many Bolts fans bash him non stop. I just do not get it.

There are a select few on here that really stir the pot. Getting rid os Stamkos would be ******** long term.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Stammer is tied for 8th in this years playoffs with 12 points.
That's 4 behind the two leaders who are playing GREAT hockey.
Had a down series first round but has bounced back beautifully. I think it was a match up issue first round by talented defensive players and brilliant coaching. Even with his poor first round this team looks deep and talented and since this is still a team oriented game he's playing how he's asked at both ends of the ice. Great player great Captain good playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stamkos is playing good since the MTL series but well below his standard in previous seasons, well at least in my opinion. Those who are saying he's playing fine obviously have a lower standard for him I guess. I mean if some fans are satisfied that he's been a passenger all season/playoffs then more power to them!

I can't even imagine how good TB could be if Stamkos was playing at his 09-13' form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad