Stamkos these playoffs?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I wouldn't crap that much on his ability to play center. Before he broke his leg he was doing everything you'd expect from a top 3 center at a very high level. That said, no sense dwelling on that past. He's playing strong and extremely confident now at wing so keep him there. It's a good thing the Lightning got Drouin to spend some time playing center in Juniors so it gives them some options going forward.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I mentioned Drouin as long-term C a few weeks ago and many chuckled. However that's 99% due to the bias against smaller players at Center. Yzerman, Sakic, Crosby and countless others say hi.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I wouldn't crap that much on his ability to play center. Before he broke his leg he was doing everything you'd expect from a top 3 center at a very high level. That said, no sense dwelling on that past. He's playing strong and extremely confident now at wing so keep him there. It's a good thing the Lightning got Drouin to spend some time playing center in Juniors so it gives them some options going forward.

Yup, the dude is sitting at 54% on face offs right now. Anyone who has followed Stammers career knows that is really good for him. I think him playing wing is more a product of not having the right wingers for him right now than it is a long term solution. Drouin will be on Stammers wing come next season as we all predicted.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Stamkos is now one point behind Johnson for the playoff scoring lead. True we have played 4 more games than the Ducks but its still an impressive comeback by Stammer.:handclap:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Stamkos is now one point behind Johnson for the playoff scoring lead. True we have played 4 more games than the Ducks but its still an impressive comeback by Stammer.:handclap:

Im kind of hoping he continues to surge and wins the Conn Smythe to shut up all the haters.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
He's quietly having some very good playoffs. For all this talk of Tyler Johnson, the reality is that Stamkos>Johnson AINEC. You'd have to be a fool to pick Johnson over Stamkos under any circumstances.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He's quietly having some very good playoffs. For all this talk of Tyler Johnson, the reality is that Stamkos>Johnson AINEC. You'd have to be a fool to pick Johnson over Stamkos under any circumstances.

So very quiet...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's great when people underestimate Johnson. Stamkos has raised his level of play and it's awesome, but Johnson's been at this level all year.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Im kind of hoping he continues to surge and wins the Conn Smythe to shut up all the haters.

I hate this logic. Before Stamkos scored his 2nd goal of the playoffs he was playing sub-par. How does bringing that up make you a "hater?"

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
To be fair, everyone is born inside a generation.

Everyone's a generational player.

images

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hate this logic. Before Stamkos scored his 2nd goal of the playoffs he was playing sub-par. How does bringing that up make you a "hater?"

This. No one criticizing Stamkos wasn't hoping he wouldn't turn it around. We were calling a spade a spade. He played poorly for most of the year (pretty much what you saw in Round 1, but with a lot of goals sprinkled in to make it tolerable.). Couldn't be happier that he's playing well now. It finally gives the Lightning a 1-2 punch.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
It's great when people underestimate Johnson. Stamkos has raised his level of play and it's awesome, but Johnson's been at this level all year.

And Stamkos has been at this level for the past 5 years.

This is where I have the issue. As a die hard fan, I love both of them and consider the team lucky to have both. But, we tend to jump to conclusions as it pertains to Johnson and Stamkos.

What are we going to say when in the next year or two Johnson goes through a long stretch where he's trying to find his game? It happens more often than not.

At this point Stamkos has reached the level where he's going to get paid a huge amount and the hardcore fans will most likely never be completely satisfied with his production. Unless, he continuously puts up godly numbers he will always have his contract and lofty expectations held over his head.

Not saying it's wrong, but it's a damned if you do damned if you don't from now on.

This will eventually happen to Johnson too. It's just at this point since Johnson is playing above expectations with a cap friendly deal, everything he does is looked at as amazing. If both get a rebound, tap in goal Johnson is praised and Stamkos gets "that's nice but..."

Again, not saying it's wrong, just nature of the beast.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And Stamkos has been at this level for the past 5 years.

This is where I have the issue. As a die hard fan, I love both of them and consider the team lucky to have both. But, we tend to jump to conclusions as it pertains to Johnson and Stamkos.

What are we going to say when in the next year or two Johnson goes through a long stretch where he's trying to find his game? It happens more often than not.

At this point Stamkos has reached the level where he's going to get paid a huge amount and the hardcore fans will most likely never be completely satisfied with his production. Unless, he continuously puts up godly numbers he will always have his contract and lofty expectations held over his head.

Not saying it's wrong, but it's a damned if you do damned if you don't from now on.

This will eventually happen to Johnson too. It's just at this point since Johnson is playing above expectations with a cap friendly deal, everything he does is looked at as amazing. If both get a rebound, tap in goal Johnson is praised and Stamkos gets "that's nice but..."

Again, not saying it's wrong, just nature of the beast.

When Johnson goes through a bad stretch, we'll criticize him too. Otherwise what's the point of discussing anything if things are just peachy all the time?

Callahan is struggling right now. He'll probably find his game too. Does that mean we shouldn't be critical of him while he's struggling?

The level Johnson has played at this year, and particularly in the playoffs, should elevate him to a pretty similar status as Stamkos for the time being. We'll see who pulls ahead next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see either lead the team in scoring, or Kucherov, or even Palat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad