Stamkos these playoffs?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Unfortunately haven't had a chance to follow the playoffs as much this year as most, but from watching highlights and reading articles, etc. it appears Tyler J has been Tampa's MVP which is great. But I'm surprised from some of the stuff I've heard that Stamkos has been underwhelming and pretty bad at times, was just hoping to get some perspective and honest view on how he's been these playoffs. Sometimes there's so much focus on guys like Crosby, Stamkos that it gives others an opportunity to step up and be awesome, i'm wondering if this is one of those situations, or has Stamkos actually been bad.

thanks!

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
A few things:

Never the same after injury.
Non favorable line mates.
Added pressure from being Captain?

He's really not having a horrible playoffs, Johnson is just playing better and also playing with better linemates.

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
From what I've seen of the Caps and Rangers series, he isn't playing well. But even so, if they still dedicate top defensive talent to stop him then his team benefits. So it clearly has allowed for others to step up in a big way.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos did not have a good regular season, was terrible in Round 1, and since then? He's been pretty decent, really. I'd give his playoffs a B- so far, which isn't bad when you consider the horrific start he had vs. Detroit. He's still struggling to find any sort of consistency though.

But he's pretty clearly #2 (at best) behind Johnson right now, and that's been the case since about November. We've known this as TB fans. So it's old news to us. The rest of the league is just finding out and it's pretty funny how they refuse to believe what their eyes are seeing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
From what I've seen of the Caps and Rangers series, he isn't playing well. But even so, if they still dedicate top defensive talent to stop him then his team benefits. So it clearly has allowed for others to step up in a big way.

This again. Johnson is taking the tough match ups.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The myth that won't die.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Stammer has lost a step after injury. It is clear he can't do what he used to do easily. When you lose your wheels you are near the end in todays nhl.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The myth that won't die.

Worked against OV and Sid when they looked like they were going to take over the series following monstrous performances in the first two games. The adjustments were made, not heard from again after that.

But of course TJ > OV??

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Worked against OV and Sid when they looked like they were going to take over the series following monstrous performances in the first two games. Not heard from again after that.

But of course TJ > OV??

What? I'm not sure how that has anything to do with anything. We're talking about which Lightning player takes the tougher coverage between Stamkos and Johnson. There's still an erroneous perception that Stamkos draws the majority of attention, leaving room for Johnson to operate. Which isn't the case.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Worked against OV and Sid when they looked like they were going to take over the series following monstrous performances in the first two games. The adjustments were made, not heard from again after that.

But of course TJ > OV??

Your saying TJ hasn't been playing against your top pairing? Because that's what he was saying. Nothing more.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stammer has lost a step after injury. It is clear he can't do what he used to do easily. When you lose your wheels you are near the end in todays nhl.

I don't think anyone who's watched him all year has seen anything to support this. Stamkos looks as fast/explosive as ever to me. The issues he's been fighting all year seem to be mental issues, not physical issues.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
McDonagh wasn't on the ice for his lone even strength goal this series.

Cooper, for once, actually did a pretty good job of getting slipping away from the match ups last night. But NYR is trying to shut down Johnson, which they should be doing. And if they do shut that line down, TB is screwed.

At this point, if your coach is trying to shut down Stamkos instead of Johnson, he's an idiot. Babcock focused on Johnson all the way back in November, and it caught on from there.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
I think the play started as an offensive situation for the Rangers, which explains why Boyle was on the ice.

Hence, adjustments being made.

Your missing the point completely. The Myth is that Johnson gets to skate around and do whatever he wants because other teams top defensive pairings are out against Stamkos trying to shut him down.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Your missing the point completely. The Myth is that Johnson gets to skate around and do whatever he wants because other teams top defensive pairings are out against Stamkos trying to shut him down.

I migut have read it wrong then. I took what he said as top defensive talent being unable to shut him down.

The myth of dedicating top defensive talent to stop him won't die is what he said, Idk.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I migut have read it wrong then. I took what he said as top defensive talent being unable to shut him down.

The myth of dedicating top defensive talent to stop him won't die is what he said, Idk.

Yeah, just a misunderstanding. My biggest fear for this series is that NYR will manage to shut Johnson down. I have no doubt they're capable of that. And I don't think we can trust Stamkos for primary scoring just now.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah, just a misunderstanding. My biggest fear for this series is that NYR will manage to shut Johnson down. I have no doubt they're capable of that. And I don't think we can trust Stamkos for primary scoring just now.

It's basically going to come down to Lundqvist. Obviously Tampa fans have to feel confident with the last change and trying to get him away from McDonagh and out there against Boyle or Yandle.

Caps fans obviously felt the same way with how OV dominated MSG ice in the first 2 games just like TJ did

Game 3 Ovechkin was a machine on the ice and had free reign, the only difference was Hank robbed him of at least 3 or 4 would be goals/golden opportunities. It also happened to be the best game the Rangers played that entire series, Holtby played the game of his life and a stupid bounce that hit off Yandle from behind the net was the difference.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Is that because he was being put out against Stamkos?

Think Staal has primarily been used against Stamkos thus far.

Rangers will have a tough time matching up on the road though. Don't expect too many defensive zone starts for Yandle/Boyle. Will probably see more of Staal and Klein together.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Stamkos is playing up to what we know he can provide but there are instances where he just flips a switch and scores a goal or creates one. He's infuriating for us because we know he can do that all the time and he's infuriating for the other team because they know they can't take their eyes off of him.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
He had a so-so first round but I think he's been really good ever since. The constant comparison with Johnson is kind of odd, as if a team is only allowed to have one guy play well or get credit at a time.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Stamkos is playing up to what we know he can provide but there are instances where he just flips a switch and scores a goal or creates one. He's infuriating for us because we know he can do that all the time and he's infuriating for the other team because they know they can't take their eyes off of him.

Sounds like Nash, only not as big a wimp as #61. Man if Nash scores on that SH odd-man rush, it's a whole new ballgame. So many shoulda, coulda, wouldas for the Rangers last night. Too many for them to win.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Correct me if I'm wrong, Tampa fans, but his linemates have changed from the first round, right? Seems like he's got his offence back since being put back on Filppula's wing. The times he looked really bad against Detroit he was playing with Killorn and Callahan, wasn't he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad