Proposal: Stamkos Poll

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Id prefer a poll asking the max amount of money per year people would be willing to spend on Stamkos. I'd be pretty curious about those results

I'd be more optimistic if Red Wings can get him at about $6 million for the next 3 yrs ($18 million total + bonuses if make finals).

Realistically he'll get over $9 million for the next 7yrs. He's not worth the risk. Easy pass!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Signing stammer is the lesser of two risks. I'd much, much rather sign stamkos for what he wants than a combination of any other two free agents that will get ugly contracts. At the same time I'm not exactly thrilled about stamkos and don't think he's going to make as much difference as people think. Let's remember that the lightning have had some terrible finishes missing the playoffs with stamkos at his best.

Well, not that I think 1 forward makes a team or anything, check out the goaltending they had from from 09-13 until Bishop emerged. The only time they made the playoffs they only did so well because Roloson played out of his mind.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'd be more optimistic if Red Wings can get him at about $6 million for the next 3 yrs ($18 million total + bonuses if make finals).

Realistically he'll get over $9 million for the next 7yrs. He's not worth the risk. Easy pass!

In what world do you think we could ever sign Stamkos for Mike Green money?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Well. Now it's pretty clear its either sign stamkos. Or sign some old guy to a garbage contract

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
hopefully I put in a few options to make the poll interesting. We can edit if I posed a dumb question.

Well 84% have said DOY no question so I don't think anyone had to think long and hard before answering. A few took the provactive approach of saying NO THANKS I DON'T WANT NO ELITE TALENT ON MY HOCKEY TEAM.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
In what world do you think we could ever sign Stamkos for Mike Green money?

Which is why it is an EASY PASS for me. No matter who signs him, that club (and fans) will have years of great regret.

To me, health wise, Stamkos is Stephen Weiss all over again. Compliance buyout in the making.

I'm not worried about Detroit signing Stamkos because I know Ken Holland isn't that dumb, or reckless.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Which is why it is an EASY PASS for me. No matter who signs him, that club (and fans) will have years of great regret.

To me, health wise, Stamkos is Stephen Weiss all over again. Compliant buyout in the making.

I'm not worried about Detroit signing Stamkos because I know Ken Holland isn't that dumb, or reckless.

Do you want stamkos on a bad contract. Or backes on a bad contract

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Whoever has the shorter contract and lowest cap hit. The lesser of two evils.

It's not really lesser if backes is the worse player and still has an unmoveable contract. At least stamkos will produce during it

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Wait, what? You do realize the Wings have been gunning for Stamkos the entire time. And that they moved Datsyuk's contract specifically to give them a chance to make a huge offer.

The Wings may not get him, but it won't be for lack of effort. Their entire off-season plan revolves around Stamkos as Plan A. I need you to join us in reality here for a bit.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
The thought that of Stamkos = Backes...painful.

I have been a big proponent of Tampa letting him walk, because I thought he was overrated prior to last year, when consensus was Crosby, Malkin, Ivi, Stammer), but this franchise needs a change. There's nothing better to spend cap on than an elite 1C. Do it.

I'm almost certain they'll end up spending their cap on a Backes/StaalBrouwer/Helm and Dman though.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Funny how this thread is thick with criticism about how Holland can not land premiere free agents, yet when the possibility presents itself there is so much trepidation. You can't have a top player for a cut-rate contract. You have to pay a HIGH price for premier players. Such is life.

Stammer...yes, please. Coagulopathy be darned.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Blood clot away from not producing it. Give me Backes

Stamkos has Vascular Thoracic Outlet Syndrome also called Effort Thrombosis. It's not that his blood inherently has a clotting issue. It's that the vein kept getting pinched where it goes over the first rib, so they typically remove that rib.

I think I read that people who've had this are at slightly higher risk for a blood clot relative to the general population but it's negligible.

Basically from everything I've read about it, it doesn't seem like Stamkos doesn't is a higher risk of a career-ending injury than any other hockey player.

And no thanks on Backes. If he were a secondary piece for a long playoff run, absolutely. As a major long term signing, no thanks. He plays a physical game and is likely to suffer a production dropoff in the next few seasons.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we miss out on Stamkos, I will consider trading back from 16 to 20 and passing on Chychrun a huge mishap. This is probably the only thing that could validate it, in my opinion.

So yes, I want to sign Stamkos. Holland gambled on himself, so get it done.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I'm torn.

A number 1 center, right handed goal scorer. That's 3 things we needed badly!!

BUUUUUT

I think anything over 9m is too much for any player. Plus this team needs about 4 or 5 players to win not just one.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If we miss out on Stamkos, I will consider trading back from 16 to 20 and passing on Chychrun a huge mishap. This is probably the only thing that could validate it, in my opinion.

So yes, I want to sign Stamkos. Holland gambled on himself, so get it done.

I completely agree, although the only other thing that could validate it is Cholowski turning out to be a great player or at least better than Chych.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I completely agree, although the only other thing that could validate it is Cholowski turning out to be a great player or at least better than Chych.

True, I just have a hard time seeing that TBH. And Chychrun will make it to the league waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sooner which has a lot of value, IMO.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
True, I just have a hard time seeing that TBH. And Chychrun will make it to the league waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay sooner which has a lot of value, IMO.

I was all in on Chych, if Stamkos comes here Holland made a phenomenal move and should be congratulated on it. Pretty much every other option after that is pretty underwhelming and not what this team needs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was all in on Chych, if Stamkos comes here Holland made a phenomenal move and should be congratulated on it. Pretty much every other option after that is pretty underwhelming and not what this team needs.

I agree. Cap space is only a great asset when used properly. Hopefully this all works out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00