Proposal: Stamkos Poll

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Last edited:

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I don't like the number honestly.

But the alternative right now seems to be signing a bunch of spare parts.

So, I'd be content.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Stamkos, at worst, is a near 40 goal scorer. At his best he's a 60 goal scorer. You'd be crazy not to want him at that price. We don't even have any 30 goal scorers on our team recently.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Extremely happy to sign the player, not anywhere near as happy with the salary it will require.

Even with a Stamkos I think the team needs more players that excel in the corners and in front of the net to really be a threat again.

It's definitely a step in the right direction though.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
So Ken Holland has backed me into a corner. The only free agent I want for the money they'll command is Demers. I would also be fine with short cheap depth signings. Regardless I think signing Stamkos at 7×9.5 would be a horrific idea...let alone 10.5 (or the 11 I think he'll get). However Holland has made it clear if it's not Stamkos it'll be Okposo, Lucic, Backes, Steal etc. which makes me feel physically ill. Thus my ideal is Holland wiffs on everyone. If Holland is successful, Stamkos is the lesser of two evils. So I guess I'm ok with it if only because I don't trust Holland with 7.5 million of idle money.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So Ken Holland has backed me into a corner. The only free agent I want for the money they'll command is Demers. I would also be fine with short cheap depth signings. Regardless I think signing Stamkos at 7×9.5 would be a horrific idea...let alone 10.5 (or the 11 I think he'll get). However Holland has made it clear if it's not Stamkos it'll be Okposo, Lucic, Backes, Steal etc. which makes me feel physically ill. Thus my ideal is Holland wiffs on everyone. If Holland is successful, Stamkos is the lesser of two evils. So I guess I'm ok with it if only because I don't trust Holland with 7.5 million of idle money.

Stamkos: 26
Lucic: 28
Okposo: 28
Backes: 32
Staal: 31

None of these guys are super old but. Stamkos is clearly the best choice.

I hate Lucic. But I supposed a player "like him" (a "very good" abdelkader) is something our team needs badly.

I have no idea who we should sign. But I really hope its NOT Backes or Staal.

Actually if he did something reasonable like a 3 Year deal, I would be ok with almost anyone (Like the Green signing).... No 5,6,7 year deals though.

I agree though, Idle money hasn't served us well last time (Weiss). But for the most part being cash strapped kinda helped us save money. Now free agents will know we have it. Also Mrazek sounds like he doesn't want a bridge, so that could eat a little.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Undecided.

The short-term future Stamkos even at 10 mill makes us a better team. Long-term it will kill us and make us a worse team. It could hurt us two ways at once by preventing us from being able to field a contending roster and prevent us from rebuilding. Who knows how many years Holland has left, it could be before Stamkos contract is up and the new GM may want to go other directions with the team.

At this point Stamkos might be a 7 mill player. For years I have thought he was the worse super star in the game. At 26 most people no longer consider him a super star (top player in the league). I don't see him putting in 40+ goals by the time he is 29-30 years old. I would actually be surprised if he was able to hit 40 more than once with the Red Wings. Outside of the goals hes a very mediocre player. He could be one of the worst contracts in the NHL by 30 years old. If that turns out to be true, look out to the team who has him. 10 mill is such a huge cap hit that is going to be untradeable and team crippling.

I'm not saying this because I am all in on a complete rebuild. But we do have some potentially decent forwards who we will need money for in the future. What if Mantha becomes a 5-6 mill player, Larkin is going to need money. Maybe we get lucky and someone like Schvenikov or AA become a legit top six player and demand money.

You got to factor that in and the possibilities of us maybe having a chance to sign a UFA D or a trade falls into our lap. Our time has to be coming to get a legit shot at a D. This signing could really hurt that. You can argue well we never have those chances.. Well yeah we do. We had a legit chance at Suter and we did sign Green. Another Green caliber D and our D wouldn't look so bad right now. D is obviously the real fix for this team if we actually want to be a legit contender.

If Stamkos was worth anything near what he will be paid, then I would take my chances on missing out on those possibilities. But he isn't. Tampa Bay didn't even miss him in the playoffs, that's pretty scary when your considering locking a guy up for 10 mill 7 years. Let's not forget how useless he was in the playoffs the year before either.

To be willing to pay this guy 10 mill for 7 years is desperation. We all know how most desperate signings turn out. There is a good chance if we signed him, three years from now all the people that wanted him will be talking about how they told everyone it was a bad idea and that this contract would kill us.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
They didn't miss him in the playoffs because they had Drouin step in and go nearly ppg. Not many teams have that kind of luxury. For as "useless" as Stamkos was in the playoffs he put up 18 points in 26 games. That destroys any kind of production we've had from a Red Wing in the playoffs sans a very small sample size Datsyuk a couple of years.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I voted yes but I want him at less than 11. If it's more than that then the final 3 years better have a reduced price or I'm not comfortable with it.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
They didn't miss him in the playoffs because they had Drouin step in and go nearly ppg. Not many teams have that kind of luxury. For as "useless" as Stamkos was in the playoffs he put up 18 points in 26 games. That destroys any kind of production we've had from a Red Wing in the playoffs sans a very small sample size Datsyuk a couple of years.

Yeah I guess 18 points in 26 games with one of the most offensive teams in the league at 10-11 mill a year is pretty great. On top of the fact that outside of any points he produces he isn't having nearly as much of an impact on the game as our old vets.

I wonder how many points he would get if he had the same team our old Datsyuk and Zetterberg had to work with?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Any consideration of the cap going up in the following years and Stamkos being on a 10M Contract?

Hes a superstar in this league i think hes worth it

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
we have two options only, any and ALL other options in between are doomed to failure and prolong that failure

1. we sign stamkos, trade for a top pairing dman, next offseason again draft in the 14-18 spot and gain 1 more good young prospect and try and dump howard via expansion

2. we trade kronwall, zetts, nyquist, tatar, dekeyser, green,howard, smith starting now this offseason and thru till the next TDL for picks and prospects and go for a full rebuild

the signing of any other UFAs and/or the filling the roster with nothing but our own GR kids without adding anymore future picks and prospects are atrocious ideas as they're noncommittal

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Stamkos, at worst, is a near 40 goal scorer. At his best he's a 60 goal scorer. You'd be crazy not to want him at that price. We don't even have any 30 goal scorers on our team recently.

He didn't score 40 last year. He only had 64 points.

Has serious health concerns.

I think the team should be rebuilding, not signing more bandaids. Especially the guys below Stamkos on that list

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yeah I guess 18 points in 26 games with one of the most offensive teams in the league at 10-11 mill a year is pretty great. On top of the fact that outside of any points he produces he isn't having nearly as much of an impact on the game as our old vets.

I wonder how many points he would get if he had the same team our old Datsyuk and Zetterberg had to work with?

He didn't have an amazing playoffs, I'm not going to say that. But he certainly wasn't useless. Our old vets just got creamed by a younger and better Tampa team. We need speed, quick decision making, and youth. Stamkos is all of that.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
It's a tough call. He hasn't been the same since returning from his broken leg, and certainly not worth that contract. If they're confidant he'll return to form then yes, you go after him with everything you can. But if this is the player he is now, signing him for 10/7 is going to turn ugly.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
There should be an option for probably a bad idea but do it anyway just in case

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I said Yes, Having watched Stamkos play his entire 8 year career in Tampa. I've seen him play with the best of them and he's the real deal. I would gladly take him for no more then $10 million per any more then that and he can definitely go elsewhere.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He didn't score 40 last year. He only had 64 points.

Has serious health concerns.

I think the team should be rebuilding, not signing more bandaids. Especially the guys below Stamkos on that list

Let me help you out.

And that wasn't even in 82 games. He's pretty much a shoe in for 40 if he's playing 82 games most seasons. Blood clots don't come back often. And with some of the best doctors in the world his health doesn't concern me at all. He's 26 and he doesn't play a super physical game. Health is almost a non-factor for me here.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
It should because his PPG has been declining rapidly since his leg injury. He has been nowhere close to 60 goals in years and he wasn't even on pace for 40 last year. On one of the best teams in the league he got surpassed by an undrafted midget

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It should because his PPG has been declining rapidly since his leg injury. He has been nowhere close to 60 goals in years and he wasn't even on pace for 40 last year. On one of the best teams in the league he got surpassed by an undrafted midget

The last 5 years he's been on pace for 60, 50, 55, 43, and 38 goals. Now keep in mind the last two seasons have also been two of his worst for shooting percentage and have seen some of the Tampa Bay's other stars develop and take away some of Stamkos' ice time. Not to mention the whole league has seen a decline in scoring overall. I don't really see that much of a decline. It's unlikely he hits 60 again for sure. More than likely he puts up 40 most seasons with an outside chance for 50.

And lol that undrafted midget had a bad year this year but he destroyed us in the playoffs two years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad