Proposal: Stamkos Poll

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
When the cap finally trends upwards, his 12M a year won't look that bad. I honestly don't think he will decline in a few years like everybody says he will. He's still fairly young and is in great shape. If Steven stamkos was some slouch away from the ice and never put hard work in the gym, then it would Be a different story, but considering he's a work horse I can see him maintaining his play throughout the majority of his potential contract.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The problem is that Holland has this money and is desperate to spend it. The other options are all worse than Stamkos. Both because they are positions Detroit doesn't need to fill and because they are mostly all near or over 30 looking for contracts that will make them anchors by the time Larkin/Svech/Mantha hit their primes.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm pretty concerned about his leg, not to mention general health...but I dont see any better plans. The risk is no worse than flat out tanking....and as Leaf fans will tell you....try anything you can to win now before the greatest dynasty ever takes hold lol.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He didn't score 40 last year. He only had 64 points.

Has serious health concerns.

I think the team should be rebuilding, not signing more bandaids. Especially the guys below Stamkos on that list

He missed a quarter of the season too

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I guess this poll states pretty definitively what side this board falls on. :laugh:

I have zero problem signing him at 10M, 10.5 no problem, 11 is where I start to get uncomfortable. But that said if it comes down to Stamkos at 12 or no Stamkos, I pay the 12.

We have how many wasted millions tied up in Weiss, Ericsson, Howard, etc.? If we can throw money around so freely with the mediocre/average, what's an extra million on Stamkos? Hopefully it doesn't take that much though.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
When the cap finally trends upwards, his 12M a year won't look that bad. I honestly don't think he will decline in a few years like everybody says he will. He's still fairly young and is in great shape. If Steven stamkos was some slouch away from the ice and never put hard work in the gym, then it would Be a different story, but considering he's a work horse I can see him maintaining his play throughout the majority of his potential contract.
Fans say this every year. The cap is barely budging. It wouldn't of even increased this year if not for artificially increasing it via the escalator. There's no new major revenue stream coming in to boost it. I highly doubt we see another big movement in the cap anytime soon. We'll probably have another lockout first.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
It's a combination of 1 and 2, signing a star player is a no brainer but at what cost? I wouldn't dish out 10M+ for him but 9 would be really nice. Getting a 1C to help shelter Larkin's development would be really nice. I hope Kenny talked to Stamkos before he pulled the trigger because if they whiff on Stamkos I wish we would've just ate Datsyuk's cap for one of the defenseman possibilities next off season and Chychryn/Fabbro.

Yeah, wish we just ate the cap if Kenny is going with some guys looking for retirement contracts. Could've had a solid defensive prospect instead of a project who will be 5-7 years away from making an impact. Then next offseason, go to war for Brent Burns in FA.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It should because his PPG has been declining rapidly since his leg injury. He has been nowhere close to 60 goals in years and he wasn't even on pace for 40 last year. On one of the best teams in the league he got surpassed by an undrafted midget

It has?

By my figuring he scored at .85 PPG returning from his broken leg. The next season it went up to .878 PPG, and last season it was down to .831. And I'm sure dealing with effort thrombosis affected part of last season.

And the only time that undrafted midget surpasses Stamkos in points it's because Stamkos only played 37 games due to the leg break. And even then Johnson only put up 10 more points playing 82 games. Last season Johnson's PPG actually dropped significantly to .550.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I guess this poll states pretty definitively what side this board falls on. :laugh:

I have zero problem signing him at 10M, 10.5 no problem, 11 is where I start to get uncomfortable. But that said if it comes down to Stamkos at 12 or no Stamkos, I pay the 12.

We have how many wasted millions tied up in Weiss, Ericsson, Howard, etc.? If we can throw money around so freely with the mediocre/average, what's an extra million on Stamkos? Hopefully it doesn't take that much though.

There's definitely a risk because while Stamkos is young, he's coming out of his prime scoring years. He's also had a significant injury. And most of all he's gonna cost a dumptruck full of money.

The things is with Datsyuk gone and and Zetterberg on the decline, the Wings have a massive hole at center.

With a player like Stamkos, the Wings suddenly have options. Stamkos as #1 center, probably Larkin as #2. Slot Zetterberg in on Wing and get his minutes down which would hopefully make him more effective.

Not to mention with the Wings moving into a new arena very soon, it's bad timing to blow the team up. Stamkos is a star player they can slap on the front of every program.

From the Wings side it makes a ton of sense. From Stamkos's side, I doubt Detroit is top of his list unless they outspend everyone.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
It has?

By my figuring he scored at .85 PPG returning from his broken leg. The next season it went up to .878 PPG, and last season it was down to .831. And I'm sure dealing with effort thrombosis affected part of last season.

And the only time that undrafted midget surpasses Stamkos in points it's because Stamkos only played 37 games due to the leg break. And even then Johnson only put up 10 more points playing 82 games. Last season Johnson's PPG actually dropped significantly to .550.

By PPG I meant goal scoring, my mistake. We had been having a conversation about goals

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
What this poll shows (yet again) is that it is a small minority who love to complain a out everything who drive the narrative on this board :(

85% people on this board think signing Stamkos is a no brainer, but you'd never guess it from all the posts on here

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
As much as I'd like to get Stamkos part of me wants them to trade off some players to get whatever they can and fill in with the youngsters and save the cap space. If Stamkos goes elsewhere I don't want Lucic or any of these other free agents

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
What this poll shows (yet again) is that it is a small minority who love to complain a out everything who drive the narrative on this board :(

85% people on this board think signing Stamkos is a no brainer, but you'd never guess it from all the posts on here

Don't need a poll to see that...look at the draft threads as well as pretty much every thread

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Id prefer a poll asking the max amount of money per year people would be willing to spend on Stamkos. I'd be pretty curious about those results

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Part of me thinks we should spend as much as we have to on Stamkos. If he ends up returning to his form or even just potting 40+ a year that's easily worth it and we have a competitive team for 8 more years. If he ends up declining fast he speeds up our rebuild because we won't be able to fill any holes in the roster due to his contract. That's a win-win scernario if u ask me

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Popular does not necessarily equal correct. I still say it's a mistake to add a massive contract to a roster that needs to be blown up. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see any achievable scenario where, even with Stamkos and one new defender, that this team gets near a championship.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I still say it would be best for his legacy if he stays with the Lightning, but...

I'm gonna go with
#1 Detroit Red Wings: team with the greatest sense of tradition
#2 Buffalo Sabres: most money to offer
#3 Toronto Maple Leafs: Toronto is his hometown plus they got some good young pieces

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Popular does not necessarily equal correct. I still say it's a mistake to add a massive contract to a roster that needs to be blown up. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see any achievable scenario where, even with Stamkos and one new defender, that this team gets near a championship.

Signing stammer is the lesser of two risks. I'd much, much rather sign stamkos for what he wants than a combination of any other two free agents that will get ugly contracts. At the same time I'm not exactly thrilled about stamkos and don't think he's going to make as much difference as people think. Let's remember that the lightning have had some terrible finishes missing the playoffs with stamkos at his best.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Going to be a lot of disappointed Red Wings fans if Kennah signs Stamkos. Especially at the money he will COMMAND.

Red Wings have enough players they can buyout. They certainly don't need to add another one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad