Proposal: Stamkos Poll

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
If we miss out on Stamkos, I will consider trading back from 16 to 20 and passing on Chychrun a huge mishap. This is probably the only thing that could validate it, in my opinion.

So yes, I want to sign Stamkos. Holland gambled on himself, so get it done.

Scary to think we could essentially turn Chych into Backes. But I hope not, that is depressing. :laugh:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Scary to think we could essentially turn Chych into Backes. But I hope not, that is depressing. :laugh:

Whatever, the trade had to be done. They weren't going to get a better offer any other time. If they want to get a shot at Stamkos I'd do this trade every time. They passed on a guy who's probably going to be a #3 or #4 at best. Not sure why people are getting worked up over it still.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wait, what? You do realize the Wings have been gunning for Stamkos the entire time. And that they moved Datsyuk's contract specifically to give them a chance to make a huge offer.

The Wings may not get him, but it won't be for lack of effort. Their entire off-season plan revolves around Stamkos as Plan A. I need you to join us in reality here for a bit.

Has Holland publicly announced he was going hard after Stamkos or is it just media/fan speculation?

Holland always kicks tires, but has an "idea" what he is willing to pay. I have a feeling what he's willing to pay might be a lot less than a handful of other teams.

I seriously doubt KH lands Stamkos unless Stammer wants specifically to take a major discount to play in Detroit.

And as for joining you in reality, I think you forget who Ken Holland is and how he isn't one to grossly overpay. How is that reality for you, bud?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Has Holland publicly announced he was going hard after Stamkos or is it just media/fan speculation?

Holland always kicks tires, but has an "idea" what he is willing to pay. I have a feeling what he's willing to pay might be a lot less than a handful of other teams.

I seriously doubt KH lands Stamkos unless Stammer wants specifically to take a major discount to play in Detroit.

And as for joining you in reality, I think you forget who Ken Holland is and how he isn't one to grossly overpay. How is that reality for you, bud?

He almost overpayed to just get suter

He's gonna go hard after stamkos. And then probably back out

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Whatever, the trade had to be done. They weren't going to get a better offer any other time. If they want to get a shot at Stamkos I'd do this trade every time. They passed on a guy who's probably going to be a #3 or #4 at best. Not sure why people are getting worked up over it still.

It had to be done if we were going to get Stamkos, yes, which could have waited if it was guaranteed. That's the issue here, it's not guaranteed and it's concerning to see how Kenny uses the cap space we have if we do not get Stamkos. Chych was a defenceman we desperately need and was a safer pick than the guy we did choose, who by all accounts has been described as boom or bust.

I don't hate the move entirely, yet, not until we see what happens with the cap space.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If we miss out on Stamkos, I will consider trading back from 16 to 20 and passing on Chychrun a huge mishap. This is probably the only thing that could validate it, in my opinion.

So yes, I want to sign Stamkos. Holland gambled on himself, so get it done.

Dang, so when did Dennis Cholowski officially bust? As soon as Ken Holland called his name? :laugh:

Cholowski could just as easily turn out to be a top defenseman and Chychrun could bust. Just because one is more hyped means nothing.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It had to be done if we were going to get Stamkos, yes, which could have waited if it was guaranteed. That's the issue here, it's not guaranteed and it's concerning to see how Kenny uses the cap space we have if we do not get Stamkos. Chych was a defenceman we desperately need and was a safer pick than the guy we did choose, who by all accounts has been described as boom or bust.

I don't hate the move entirely, yet, not until we see what happens with the cap space.

Since when did he become the next Duncan Keith? Damn!

Dennis Cholowski could be the defenceman we desperately need for all we know. Since when does AZ have the best scouts in the league?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

It didn't have to be done, we don't even know we will need the cap space yet.

It was a choice, and we will see if it was a good one or not in time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dang, so when did Dennis Cholowski officially bust? As soon as Ken Holland called his name? :laugh:

Cholowski could just as easily turn out to be a top defenseman and Chychrun could bust. Just because one is more hyped means nothing.
Since when did he become the next Duncan Keith? Damn!

Dennis Cholowski could be the defenceman we desperately need for all we know. Since when does AZ have the best scouts in the league?

Keep saying things no one actually said, that makes for great discussion.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Keep saying things no one actually said, that makes for great discussions.

Not making up anything. People are hyping Chychrun as the "great" miss by Ken Holland for trading down. If the scouts really thought he was so amazing, they would have drafted him. I doubt they had much regard for the kid and probably didn't even want him over Cholowski.

For all we know KH would have picked Cholowski with the 16th, but instead got their kid with the 20th, got a free 2nd rounder AND dumped Datsuyks cap hit all in one swipe.

If true, that's a win, win, win even if they don't get Stamkos.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
So apparently the Leafs are gonna offer Stamkos 3.5 million in endorsements according to this guy.

That's clearly cap circumvention, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there's some truth to it at the same time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not making up anything. People are hyping Chychrun as the "great" miss by Ken Holland for trading down. If the scouts really thought he was so amazing, they would have drafted him. I doubt they had much regard for the kid and probably didn't even want him over Cholowski.

For all we know KH would have picked Cholowski with the 16th, but instead got their kid with the 20th, got a free 2nd rounder AND dumped Datsuyks cap hit all in one swipe.

If true, that's a win, win, win even if they don't get Stamkos.

Dreger said Holland is "near desperate" to land Stamkos.

I believe he might have been desperate enough to make the blunder of passing on Chychrun to do so.

I think cap space took precedent to drafting the best player on day 1 of the draft.

We will see how these two develop, I actually have a lot of respect for Tyler Wright so far so maybe he strikes gold again like he did with Larkin. I just was big on Chychrun and you can look back on my posts to see that even before he slipped to 16.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I believe he might have been desperate enough to make the blunder of passing on Chychrun to do so.

I think cap space took precedent to drafting the best player on day 1 of the draft.

We will see how these two develop, I actually have a lot of respect for Tyler Wright so far so maybe he strikes gold again like he did with Larkin. I just was big on Chychrun and you can look back on my posts to see that even before he slipped to 16.

Everyone wanted Chychrun and he kept dropping. Something must have left a bad taste in a lot of teams mouths. I heard his hockey IQ is questionable.

As for Dreger, he is always flinging mud at the wall hoping something sticks. Go back and look up all his rumors and you'll see he said Red Wings are in on everything. From Marc Methot to Matt Niskanen. Dreger is always one to overuse synonymous adjectives when describing how "aggressively", "desperately", Red Wings are after any high profile player.

I need more than Dreger to be convinced that KH is considering overpaying to get Stamkos. I'm sure KH will kick the tires and make 'what he feels' is a fair offer. Only to get outbid by millions from about 10 other teams

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

It seemed like a bigger gamble than Holland is usually willing to take. Lots of smoke though about Stamkos signing here on Friday though. So maybe they know something we don't. Or, and please forgive me guys for bringing up such a triggering and painful topic, but it could be Suter 2.0.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Even the most loyal of the beat writers have said the Wings have significant interest in Stamkos and would be willing to cough up around 10 mil per season on a 7 year deal to get him.

They've been wrong before but all signs point to them putting a big offer in front of Stamkos.

So apparently the Leafs are gonna offer Stamkos 3.5 million in endorsements according to this guy.

That's clearly cap circumvention, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there's some truth to it at the same time.

This really makes no sense at all. First, like you said its cap circumvention. Second, Stamkos is already signed by Nike and Sportchek, so he likely can't accept any other sports merchandising deals.

What are the Leafs going to get him doing? hawking cars for local dealerships? making commercials for Pizza Pizza?

Realistically Stamkos will make roughly the same amount in endorsements whether he's playing in Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo or back in Tampa.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
It seemed like a bigger gamble than Holland is usually willing to take. Lots of smoke though about Stamkos signing here on Friday though. So maybe they know something we don't. Or, and please forgive me guys for bringing up such a triggering and painful topic, but it could be Suter 2.0.

if i recall, holland did in fact offer the highest amount for suter. just that suter at the last minute decided he wanted to play with parise.

if stamkos doesn't sign here, it won't be because of money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad