Waived: Stalberg and Clune waived

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Jones shouldn't be considered.

Assuming no retention, framework should be:
player+prospect+2016 1st+dump (Stalberg)

If Fiala, then the player/prospect shouldn't be a significant one (e.g. none of Smith, Wilson, Ellis).

Just Examples: Smith+Aberg/Salomaki+2016 1st+Stalberg, Fiala+Watson+2016 1st+Stalberg

Toronto fans won't like those packages, but that's the most I would want to see Poile give up.

The last 2 prospects I want to see moved are Aberg and Fiala. I have a feeling we don't fully understand what we have in Aberg. I've followed him since the days leading up to his draft and he is a stud...but then again...it is Kessel...so who knows what we could be giving up.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Hate to be Buzz Killington but I don't see this as an immediate precursor to something else. I think he's just hoping to find a biter by waiving them before the craziness of the draft and free agency.

If it was a buyout, they'd be on unconditional waivers. Why bother with regular waivers first?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
This makes no sense. Why is there a regular waiver in the summer when nothing is going on?

On another note, I'd rather have Stalberg as to Nystrom. Nystrom is more useless than anyone on the team including Clune.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
This makes no sense. Why is there a regular waiver in the summer when nothing is going on?

On another note, I'd rather have Stalberg as to Nystrom. Nystrom is more useless than anyone on the team including Clune.

Agreed. Although I was one that liked the Stalberg signing. :shakehead

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Do not want Kessel. He doesn't improve our team that much. As many have pointed out, we need a #1C or someone close to that. Kessel ain't it. I' m tired of Poile's man crushes and giving up solid assets for crap. Really wish he would retire...

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Do not want Kessel. He doesn't improve our team that much. As many have pointed out, we need a #1C or someone close to that. Kessel ain't it. I' m tired of Poile's man crushes and giving up solid assets for crap. Really wish he would retire...

I would not consider a perennial 35+ goal scorer on any given year crap. Yes, he has his issues character wise but to say he wouldn't improve our team isn't exactly true. As much as I would rather find that #1C, I wouldn't necessarily call adding a goal scorer like Kessel non-improvement.

I'm of the same hope that if we were to trade for Kessel it would be Ellis+Smith and maybe a small add. Only problem would be how interested Toronto is in an RFA Smith and also how much of Kessel's salary is being retained. The retained salary could help us down the road with the resignings of Jones and Forsberg...pending not giving up Jones.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I would not consider a perennial 35+ goal scorer on any given year crap. Yes, he has his issues character wise but to say he wouldn't improve our team isn't exactly true. As much as I would rather find that #1C, I wouldn't necessarily call adding a goal scorer like Kessel non-improvement.

I'm of the same hope that if we were to trade for Kessel it would be Ellis+Smith and maybe a small add. Only problem would be how interested Toronto is in an RFA Smith and also how much of Kessel's salary is being retained. The retained salary could help us down the road with the resignings of Jones and Forsberg...pending not giving up Jones.

The thing I do not like about Kessel is he lacks the drive/motivation to always go out and give it your all and then some. He could be an annual challenger to Ovechkin's goal tally if he wasn't so lazy. He likes to float ALOT!

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
The thing I do not like about Kessel is he lacks the drive/motivation to always go out and give it your all and then some. He could be an annual challenger to Ovechkin's goal tally if he wasn't so lazy. He likes to float ALOT!

Couldn't you see our lax media market and Coach Laviolette helping that problem? Lavy doesn't except laziness. This is a great place for him all depending upon the return.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Couldn't you see our lax media market and Coach Laviolette helping that problem? Lavy doesn't except laziness. This is a great place for him all depending upon the return.

Not at this point. I think he is too set in his ways to change. I just do not see him as a fit here. IMO Michael Del Zotto was more of a fit than Kessel would be here.

And, regarding the media here, one would think it would help with players, but it doesn't seem to help bring them here but rather turn them away.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Id be very skeptic about signing anything else from Toronto. Theyre all cursed with a non curable losing mentality.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
For you guys wanting Kessel and holding on to Fiala, Aberg. At some point there will need to be slots for those guys in the top 6 if they are as good as you think. If a move is made for Kessel you have Kessel, FF9, Neal, on the wings. Most want Wilson and Smith retained as well. There is no chance that Wilson or Smith are moved to center long term. The log jam we had at center is now relieved somewhat but the one on wing is just starting. It will not be unreasonable to offer Fiala/Aberg + Wilson/Smith + 2016 1st but I doubt that's a package the Leafs are interested in.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
To Toronto: Jones, Austin Watson, Stalberg, Craig Smith, 2016 2nd
To Nash : Bozak, Kessel (30% retained by Toronto)

Sign Soderberg 4 years 5 mil

Forsberg-Bozak-Kessel
Wilson-Soderberg-Neal
Fiala-Fisher-Moses
Jarnkrok-Gaustad-Nystrom

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Jones shouldn't be considered.

Assuming no retention, framework should be:
player+prospect+2016 1st+dump (Stalberg)

If Fiala, then the player/prospect shouldn't be a significant one (e.g. none of Smith, Wilson, Ellis).

Just Examples: Smith+Aberg/Salomaki+2016 1st+Stalberg, Fiala+Watson+2016 1st+Stalberg

Why do you want to keep giving up those 1st round picks?

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
What is the deal with Stalberg ? He didn't seem that bad when I was watching the playoffs.

Is he a "has tools but no toolbox" type of player ?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
What is the deal with Stalberg ? He didn't seem that bad when I was watching the playoffs.

Is he a "has tools but no toolbox" type of player ?

That's partially it, but I think he's been very unlucky in his time in Nashville. Got hurt in his first training camp, Trotz never really seemed to be a big fan so he was plugged in with spare parts on the fourth line, waived a couple times, dominated AHL, was called back up and played well but would still periodically get scratched.

I think he just needs a fresh start, but could still be a good player for someone.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
To Toronto: Jones, Austin Watson, Stalberg, Craig Smith, 2016 2nd
To Nash : Bozak, Kessel (30% retained by Toronto)

Sign Soderberg 4 years 5 mil

Forsberg-Bozak-Kessel
Wilson-Soderberg-Neal
Fiala-Fisher-Moses
Jarnkrok-Gaustad-Nystrom

I'd rather deal with Kessel on his own and seek a better option than Bozak. But if the prices are high, Ie Soderberg/O'Reilly, then it might not be a bad package option. You could probably get away with Ellis rather than Jones if a pick is included. Bozak is a good solider, he'll win draws, play a straight-line game, and would probably make Phil more comfortable resulting in a more immediate impact offensively. I'm not an advocate of this deal, but I've certainly seen worse.

Last edited:

van22

May 25, 2014
This was retweeted by A Vingan.

Total cost 566K. Cap hit in 2015/16: 283K and in 2016/17: 283K

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad