OT: Stadium Series Tickets

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
They even resorted to selling $30 student rush seats because they couldn't sell out. What miss by the the NHL determining the prices

So I guess I should not have bought tickets so early for $160.

Does the lack of a sell out reflect poorly on Pittsburgh OR is it a sign this has gotten old?
IIRC Toronto did not as well get a sell out.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
A sign it's gotten old IMO, they had no issue selling out the first WC they had at Heinz Field.

After the last one they couldn't have paid me to go to another. I guess I'm glad I went just so that I can say I experienced an outdoor hockey game but it's easily the worst live hockey experience of my life. Add in the fact that it's going to be around 70 degrees all week and 55 degrees and rainy on Saturday and it's going to be a nightmare. I can't wait to see who has to go on IR with a groin injury.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
A sign it's gotten old IMO, they had no issue selling out the first WC they had at Heinz Field.

After the last one they couldn't have paid me to go to another. I guess I'm glad I went just so that I can say I experienced an outdoor hockey game but it's easily the worst live hockey experience of my life. Add in the fact that it's going to be around 70 degrees all week and 55 degrees and rainy on Saturday and it's going to be a nightmare. I can't wait to see who has to go on IR with a groin injury.

Same here. The only thing that would've been worse was traveling to the one in Chicago, i.e. the worst hockey game ever.

As far as this upcoming one I heard the other day they sold 60,000 which means about 8,000 left over. Can't provide a link just what I heard from someone that heard on the radio or whatever.

pensfansince88

Feb 5, 2012
i feel like they didn't really promote it much. only time i've seen it promoted has been during pens games.

i didn't go to the one vs the caps so i'm excited to see an outdoor game. all i've heard is how bad the viewing angles are so i have low expectations. hopefully we get a clear night. AccuWeather currently says morning rain, no rain forecasted at game time yet.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'm going to be there, but frankly it's because I was able to get free tickets. They were giving every family involved in Learn to Play 2 free seats so that probably lets you know how sales are going. I still expect there will be around 60k there but it won't be a sell-out.

I'm sure the seats I get will be crap but...they were free. Who cares. I can go in, wander for a period and a half, and then leave if I want and it's guilt-free.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
And to think a few years ago some people wanted this game at Beaver Stadium.

What a joke. Will the sellout streak end with an outdoor game? I am assuming the sellout streak is still going...I don't really pay attention to those things.

I'm kind of curious what the attendance split is going to be. I can tell you one thing, I am not paying this kind of money to end up sitting by some stupid drunk Flyers fans.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I believe they are calling for possible thunderstorms for game time. And possible 70 degree temps the day before. Not a great thing for ice conditions.

I don't care if we win or lose, just want no injuries.

Oh gosh. Please rest Sid

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

What a joke. Will the sellout streak end with an outdoor game? I am assuming the sellout streak is still going...I don't really pay attention to those things.

I'm kind of curious what the attendance split is going to be. I can tell you one thing, I am not paying this kind of money to end up sitting by some stupid drunk Flyers fans.

Sell out streak should have ended quite awhile ago. They will give away tickets until they're all gone so they can claim another one. They had to do that for the first round of the playoffs under Mike Johnston, too. Way overpriced them and then had to scramble to get rid of them to keep the "streak" alive.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I wanted the Beaver Stadium game. If you have any ties to the area it's a fantastic idea. Having it at Heinz Field again was so deflating, and I was already down on the outdoor games. Also I hate Heinz Field more than PPG Paints which is saying something.

Sell out streak should have ended quite awhile ago. They will give away tickets until they're all gone so they can claim another one. They had to do that for the first round of the playoffs under Mike Johnston, too. Way overpriced them and then had to scramble to get rid of them to keep the "streak" alive.

Yeah if you read between the lines the sellout streak ended a long time ago. Their marketing as of last year told the story by itself: "Tickets Always Available!". What? That's a far cry from how they marketed in the past.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

I actually think it would've drawn better at Beaver Stadium. A true battle of PA in the middle of the state. Heinz has already been used and there's not really any fan-fare around it. Hell most people probably don't even realize there was an alumni game.
They were giving every family involved in Learn to Play 2 free seats so that probably lets you know how sales are going.
Holy. Crap. That's amazing :laugh: I was at a game a few weeks ago and someone answered the trivia question wrong during the TV timeout and got 2 tickets anyway :laugh:

I'm going and will have fun I'm sure, but I love that the ticket sales leading up to it are abysmal considering how they probably expected it to go. They wore the outdoor stuff out SO fast, which is a shame because one outdoor game on New Years Day could have been a long-standing tradition. But now they're so prevalent no one gives a ****

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I actually think it would've drawn better at Beaver Stadium. A true battle of PA in the middle of the state. Heinz has already been used and there's not really any fan-fare around it. Hell most people probably don't even realize there was an alumni game.

Holy. Crap. That's amazing :laugh: I was at a game a few weeks ago and someone answered the trivia question wrong during the TV timeout and got 2 tickets anyway :laugh:

I'm going and will have fun I'm sure, but I love that the ticket sales leading up to it are abysmal considering how they probably expected it to go. They wore the outdoor stuff out SO fast, which is a shame because one outdoor game on New Years Day could have been a long-standing tradition. But now they're so prevalent no one gives a ****

Yeah, they drove their cash cow into the ground.

Reminds me of the saying, "pigs get fat, and hogs gets slaughtered".

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I actually think it would've drawn better at Beaver Stadium. A true battle of PA in the middle of the state.

If there would have been a way to make this circus any worse, this would have been it. It's going to be bad enough playing this **** fest in horrible conditions and trying to avoid injuries against a team known to prefer to injure players over winning, ESPECIALLY in a year they aren't making the playoffs.

If you play this game in the middle of the state where it's likely to draw an equal number of fans from both fanbases I think the potential for it to get completely out of hand would be just too high.

Screw this game, if you offered me the opportunity to take this one in the loss column today and not play the game I would take it instantly.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
So I guess I should not have bought tickets so early for $160.

Does the lack of a sell out reflect poorly on Pittsburgh OR is it a sign this has gotten old?
IIRC Toronto did not as well get a sell out.

Easily a sign that this has gotten way too ****ing old.

People just don't care anymore. These games are a weather-hindered joke and the novelty has long long since worn off.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Easily a sign that this has gotten way too ****ing old.

People just don't care anymore. These games are a weather-hindered joke and the novelty has long long since worn off.

Over done, over priced, bad hockey, and a good chance of 'bad' (ie 70 degree) weather for an outdoor game.

I went to the first one but had no interest in repeating the experience. To make it even worse it was where Crosby got concussed/his neck injury.

It was a cool idea to start, a throw back to the pond hockey 'olden' days that stirred the imagination, but now it is an idea that really needs to be put to rest. Sadly, as long as they can make money on it the NHL will milk it for all that it is worth.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think NHLers would be all for it IF it only was on 1/1/__ each year. One game. Once a year. No more. Tickets would sell and it would be about a 10 years before coming back.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm going to be there, but frankly it's because I was able to get free tickets. They were giving every family involved in Learn to Play 2 free seats so that probably lets you know how sales are going. I still expect there will be around 60k there but it won't be a sell-out.

I'm sure the seats I get will be crap but...they were free. Who cares. I can go in, wander for a period and a half, and then leave if I want and it's guilt-free.

Ya my daughter is in the program and we got free tickets and I was pissed off.

I told my wife she can take my daughter.

I'm a terrible father and husband, I know.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Not sure if I am allowed to post this or not? If not I apologize in advance, but is anyone looking to sell their tickets for Saturday? Me and my buddy were trying to go but didn't want to spend a ton of money on ticketmaster fees and such. Thanks guys!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Not sure if I am allowed to post this or not? If not I apologize in advance, but is anyone looking to sell their tickets for Saturday? Me and my buddy were trying to go but didn't want to spend a ton of money on ticketmaster fees and such. Thanks guys!

Save your money and watch at home friend. Use the money for booze and munchies and stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad