TBN: Stadium/Arena Thread

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I have an album by Hackett called Genesis Revisited with Wetton. He had such a powerful voice.
Levin plays with the latest version of King Crimson. That band is phenomenal. Three drummers - one of whom plays the mellotron, Levin; early King Crimson member Mel Collins on sax and flute; Fripp of course; and the vocalist/second guitarist Jakko Jakszyk. They play a lot of very early Crimson, and Jakko does a nice job of bridging the difference between Greg Lake and John Wetton. They also turn Mel Collins loose on the baritone sax on a few songs - which to me is a special treat as you don't often hear the baritone sax in rock music.
I’ve got that Steve album on DVD, and I’ve seen him and his band do the Genesis Revisited show. Treat yourself the next time Steve is touring in your area and go see them.

Reactions: Dex

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The Bruford/Wetton/Fripp version of Crimson packed it in in 1975, so Bruford was a free agent. After the Genesis tour he did some solo stuff with Alan Holdsworth on some of the recordings and also was in a band called UK with John Wetton and Eddie Jobson. Not sure if he did one or two albums with them - but I liked the group. Then around -81 Fripp reformed King Crimson with Bruford, Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and maybe one other guy and they did three albums until around '85 or so when they disbanded again. I loved the Fripp/Wetton/Bruford band and enjoyed the Belew years as well, but it was tough to beat that 71-75 version of the band
Never saw any of those bands being discussed, but enjoyed them all. No one writes 7:00-11:00 minute songs anymore which hold your interest throughout, and those bands made it seem easy.

Adrian Belew was a member of Talking Heads touring entourage, whom I saw in 1983 at UB Alumni Arena, as part of their tour / rehearsals for what would become the Stop Making Sense movie they filmed when they got to LA a couple months later.

If you're a fan of either, there's a full concert movie of their "Live in Rome" show from 1980. Belew was frenetic, and Talking Heads was beginning the arc to their zenith. They really envisioned their music as both an audio and visual performance.

Reactions: oldgoalie

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I realize just how old I am when I read these posts and have no idea who you are talking about!

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Never saw any of those bands being discussed, but enjoyed them all. No one writes 7:00-11:00 minute songs anymore which hold your interest throughout, and those bands made it seem easy.

Adrian Belew was a member of Talking Heads touring entourage, whom I saw in 1983 at UB Alumni Arena, as part of their tour / rehearsals for what would become the Stop Making Sense movie they filmed when they got to LA a couple months later.

If you're a fan of either, there's a full concert movie of their "Live in Rome" show from 1980. Belew was frenetic, and Talking Heads was beginning the arc to their zenith. They really envisioned their music as both an audio and visual performance.

Belew brought a lot of that energy and creativity to Crimson as well. There's a video of Elephant Talk on YouTube that is a good example

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Stop Making Sense is exhilarating. Jealous I wasn't alive to see David Byrne run in circles live.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
(1) Proximity to hotels
(2) Proximity to public transportation
(3) More centrally located for other uses (concerts, conventions, etc.) which should be a big priority if it is getting public funds
(4) Could have one multi use facility for the Bills and Sabres

Really it all just boils down to accessibility. Having it downtown makes it more accessible to more people. Which, if you're asking for oodles of public dollars, should be the goal.

Buffalo fans often complain about Buffalo not being treated like a real city. Well, connecting a major infrastructure expenditure like this to the existing public transportation network would be a nice start. Run a subway out to orchard park and then I'll start thinking of that location as anything but a bad joke.

I think the problem is... they studied what kind of events are realistic and what kind of revenue they would provide. They also studied the amount of land acquisition, infrastructure, permitting, etc would be required downtown. The delta between that did not come anywhere near close to making it worthwhile for a few monster truck rallies. We arent landing a superbowl. Probably not a final 4. No wrestlemania. No marquee NCAA bowl games (the 3rd or 4th rate bowl game they can attract or the MAC title would be sparsely attended). No regular NCAA neutral site games.

We are probably talking about doubling the cost for the stadium. Instead of asking the public for perhaps $700 million, you would need to ask for $2 billion. Have you tried leaving a Sabres game parked in a ramp or close to the arena during a playoff game that comes down to the wire? Multiply that by a factor of 3. "Building a subway" isnt feasible either Buffalo isn't nearly as big of a population base as the 1st and 2nd ring suburbs. That is a huge cost for Bills games?

A new stadium would likely land the same amount of concerts and events as the existing one. Many winter concerts and events in a city this size can take place at the arena. Ideally, we can land a brick and mortar amphitheater somewhere downtown in the outer harbor or something. That would accomplish what everyone dreams a football stadium would. 10K-30K people downtown for many dates all summer. Put Darien Lake (concerts) out of business.

Ultimately a stadium helps downtown not at all, and people would argue it would hinder it. What we really need down there are 1-3+ Fortune 500 companies headquartering there. Then, people will live down there, property values skyrocket, commerce happens, and suddenly the cranes all come in.

Orchard Park is fine for the Bills. NFL games are typically all-day events and an extra 15 minutes for Canadians and Northtowners is not a factor, especially when most people arrive before 10AM. Its wide open, traffic isnt exactly perfect, but it is tolerable. All the lots and infrastructure/facilities already there, county-owned land.

What is interesting here though is the apparent abandonment or lack of an ask for the arena. The arena is well overdue for some moderate renovations.

Reactions: brian_griffin

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
60,000 seat open air stadium and it is still 1.4 billion? Clown shit. BUILD A f***ING DOME. We draft players from the South and Cali more then Northeast/Midwestern guys so the "weather advantage" argument is just bullshit. Build a dome so you can use it year round since all parties are bitching about money.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
60,000 seat open air stadium and it is still 1.4 billion? Clown shit. BUILD A f***ING DOME. We draft players from the South and Cali more then Northeast/Midwestern guys so the "weather advantage" argument is just bullshit. Build a dome so you can use it year round since all parties are bitching about money.

Have you seen how much building materials cost now?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00