Confirmed with Link: Staal Re-Signed (6yrs - $5.7m per)

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't in favor of resigning Staal but I guess I can live with this deal. Despite the fact that it's a discount, it's still a lot to pay for a second pairing defenseman with an injury history who provides limited offense. Regardless, this team's strength is based around it's defense and goaltending, so it makes sense.

One of Staal and Girardi will be traded before their contracts are up, maybe both.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Ohhhhh ****. Big news!

6 years??? I dunno about that... if he can stay about where he is now throughout, it will be a pretty good deal.

I'm just ok with this for right now. If MSL takes a sweetheart deal and we can keep Zucc and Hags, I'll be pretty happy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Great deal. Was obvious he would be signed after the Rangers let Stralman move on. People who expected him to be traded or not resigned we're kidding themselves. Knew that Staal will give a home team discount but this I is a bigger discount than expected. Stepan will get resigned next and then it will get interesting between Zuke, Hags and MSL. Zuke should get his deal carrying under $5 m per ($4.5-$4.8). Hagelin is being pushed out of off top 9 on the Rangers while he's a solid top 6 - top 9 twinner by NHL standards. IMHO he will not get resigned here and I could see him being traded before the deadline for a solid center with good face-offs skill, some offense and no defensive holes, or being kept for the play-off run and then let go after the end of the season. MSL is the most difficult to predict. How big of a discount he could give? How his body and skills will hold up in the next two years?

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
His offensive game was coming around bigtime right before his piece of ****, whining, entitled brother concussed him.

No reason he couldn't have been a 45-50 point defenseman that was straight up dominant in his own zone. The puck to the eye was just another strike of bad luck.

Great deal here though, I still don't think he's where he was defensively before the injury, but he's been fantastic for most of this season, and he's worth way more than 5.7m. :)

i think people forgot just how good staal was before that concussion because McD came in and stole the spotlight the last couple of years.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
His offensive game was coming around bigtime right before his piece of ****, whining, entitled brother concussed him.

No reason he couldn't have been a 45-50 point defenseman that was straight up dominant in his own zone. The puck to the eye was just another strike of bad luck.

Great deal here though, I still don't think he's where he was defensively before the injury, but he's been fantastic for most of this season, and he's worth way more than 5.7m. :)

These things happen. Eric wasn't trying to hurt him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This deal will look ridiculously good in a couple years when the cap rises.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Seems players want to be Rangers. This is nice. Particularly as a Jet, Knick, and Met fan. It's novel.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
considering what he would have gotten on the market once the bidding began, and in that context alone, he took a discount to stay in ny and we keep a pretty decent homegrown shutdown dman. he wanted to stay here and he and his agent realized you gotta give a little bit. he got 6 yrs and we got a LNTC after year 3. thats the art of the deal, both sides feel they won.

personally, I'm ok with having him back and keeping the status quo. we have a solid top 4 all signed and content. don't discount the fact that as a unit all 4 will be together for the next couple years anyway.

however, I'm worried what impact this will have down the line with our other fa's

losing a guy like hags and/or zuke may hurt more than keeping staal in the fold. those 2 guys want to get paid too and there isn't much money left.

msl I'm pretty sure will lake an incentive laden 2 year deal then retire.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
considering what he would have gotten on the market once the bidding began, and in that context alone, he took a discount to stay in ny and we keep a pretty decent homegrown shutdown dman. he wanted to stay here and he and his agent realized you gotta give a little bit. he got 6 yrs and we got a LNTC after year 3. thats the art of the deal, both sides feel they won.

personally, I'm ok with having him back and keeping the status quo. we have a solid top 4 all signed and content. don't discount the fact that as a unit all 4 will be together for the next couple years anyway.

however, I'm worried what impact this will have down the line with our other fa's

losing a guy like hags and/or zuke may hurt more than keeping staal in the fold. those 2 guys want to get paid too and there isn't much money left.

Disagree, especially in Staal vs Hagelin straight up comparison. Even more surprised with your sentiment in the context of the Rangers roster and prospects, especially knowing your attitude toward McIlrath and Buchnevich & Duclair.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
i think people forgot just how good staal was before that concussion because McD came in and stole the spotlight the last couple of years.

He was so good, he dominated every shift. And he was chipping in offense too. Hopefully he can be injury free for this season and into next year and he should be back at his peak.

Glad he's wrapped up, he's very valuable to this team.

Any idea when we get an official announcement from the team?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
at which point it would have cost more $$ and we wouldn't have been able to keep him. slats handled it the right way

Agree. If Staalsy is in longterm plans you bring him back now and not get into the bidding war in the offseason.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
at which point it would have cost more $$ and we wouldn't have been able to keep him. slats handled it the right way

You say that now.

Talk to me if/when MZA and MSL have great postseasons and walk for nothing.

There is no way anybody can judge this move right now.

My concern is the ripple effect of breaking up Brassard and Zucc's chemistry.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Disagree, especially in Staal vs Hagelin straight up comparison. Even more surprised with your sentiment in the context of the Rangers roster and prospects, especially knowing your attitude toward McIlrath and Buchnevich & Duclair.

i was all for keeping staal this season and making a run. after this year, i would prefer to keep both of them over staal for 6 more years tho.

both hags and zuke are guys good teams need to win. forwards with speed and creativity like that are keepers, while i think having mcd, girardi, klein AND staal is a luxury. in fact, if i need to lose one of those 4, i would lose staal first given the other guys play and his 6 yr deal.

as for mcilrath, he's not a factor here at all. hell probably play, but his impact will be negligible.

buchnevich will find a spot in the top 9. he's too talented to not play here next fall. duclair is the same. hell create a spot for himself eventually. but 2 rookies in the top 9 is unlikely.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
i was all for keeping staal this season and making a run. after this year, i would prefer to keep both of them over staal for 6 more years tho.

both hags and zuke are guys good teams need to win. forwards with speed and creativity like that are keepers, while i think having mcd, girardi, klein AND staal is a luxury. in fact, if i need to lose one of those 4, i would lose staal first given the other guys play and his 6 yr deal.

as for mcilrath, he's not a factor here at all. hell probably play, but his impact will be negligible.

buchnevich will find a spot in the top 9. he's too talented to not play here next fall. duclair is the same. hell create a spot for himself eventually. but 2 rookies in the top 9 is unlikely.

I hear ya, but what was the locked-up top 6 prior to this deal?

Nash-Brassard-X
Kreider-Stepan-X

One of - if not both of - MSL and MZA will be back, depending on their willingness to offer discounts, creativity with bonuses, etc. And we have Duke and Buch waiting in the wings.

Meanwhile what did the top 4 look like?

McD-Girardi
X-Klein

MAYBE Skjei will sign after his junior year and MAYBE he'll be ready to play a top 4 role right away. And that's the only option.

No brainer. ESPECIALLY given how far under market Staal signed.

The writing is on the wall re: Hags being moved, but as much as I like him, I have no problem with that given the options waiting in the wings. Hell, last offseason showed that you could get a 30-odd year old for under $1MM on a 1-year deal to take his spot if necessary.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
You say that now.

Talk to me if/when MZA and MSL have great postseasons and walk for nothing.

There is no way anybody can judge this move right now.

My concern is the ripple effect of breaking up Brassard and Zucc's chemistry.

If MZA lights it up the rest of the season + playoffs to the point where retaining him is impossible, that is Sather's own damn fault to begin with for having to nickel & dime him on a $3.5M one year deal.

I see no problem with judging this contract as great market value. This Rangers group is build from the net out. Their core strength is GA via Hank and the D. Retaining Staal was necessary to maintain that - especially given Moore's lack of development and Skjei staying in school. The only feasible alternative is to replace him with UFA X who would cost what? And is a guarantee to sign here why?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Hagelin is 100% expendable. The org has to bank on a winger prospect making it. There is no replacement for Staal on a team that is built from the net out with GA as a core strength.

And "creativity" would not be an attribute I would use to describe Hagelin. I love the kid and in a perfect world would keep him as a 3rd liner for his career. But he is expendable in a cap world.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

ODC, Read your post - you actually are making all arguments for me. Where Hags will play if both Butch and Duke are making it? Will his 4th line position warrant the salary that will be coming his way or be better than $5.75 for a top 4 defenseman who's able to defend against any top opponent?

I agree that Hags and Zuke will be needed for this year's run so I will understand a gamble to let one of them walk for free this summer.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I hear ya, but what was the locked-up top 6 prior to this deal?

Nash-Brassard-X
Kreider-Stepan-X

One of - if not both of - MSL and MZA will be back, depending on their willingness to offer discounts, creativity with bonuses, etc. And we have Duke and Buch waiting in the wings.

Meanwhile what did the top 4 look like?

McD-Girardi
X-Klein

MAYBE Skjei will sign after his junior year and MAYBE he'll be ready to play a top 4 role right away. And that's the only option.

No brainer. ESPECIALLY given how far under market Staal signed.

The writing is on the wall re: Hags being moved, but as much as I like him, I have no problem with that given the options waiting in the wings. Hell, last offseason showed that you could get a 30-odd year old for under $1MM on a 1-year deal to take his spot if necessary.

Too logical. Should be ignored.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Hags may become redundant if Duke comes in and provides similar speed with better talent. We wouldn't be losing him for nothing either: we will get a quality prospect or draft pick for him. That's assuming we don't have the space for him, which we probably will because:

You are probably right about MSL taking a bonus-based deal. He'll be 40 and already made close to $60 million over the course of his career, so he will want to finish on a good team where he enjoys playing, aka the Rangers. A bonus-laden deal would allow much of his cap hit to be shifted to 2016-17 when Boyle will be replaced by McIlrath as a RD, saving us over $4. That year we also won't have any UFAs besides Boyle and Moore (who will also be replaced by the cheaper Lindberg), so the cap won't be a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad