Confirmed with Link: Staal Re-Signed (6yrs - $5.7m per)

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Still extremely glad he was able to come back the way he has from that eye injury. I was at that flyers game when he got hit, saw the blood on the ice, and thought his career could very well be over.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Still extremely glad he was able to come back the way he has from that eye injury. I was at that flyers game when he got hit, saw the blood on the ice, and thought his career could very well be over.

He was sooo good right before that eye injury. :( It saddens me to think what could've been. IIRC, his offensive game was terrific at that point.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
He was sooo good right before that eye injury. :( It saddens me to think what could've been. IIRC, his offensive game was terrific at that point.

His offensive game was coming around bigtime right before his piece of ****, whining, entitled brother concussed him.

No reason he couldn't have been a 45-50 point defenseman that was straight up dominant in his own zone. The puck to the eye was just another strike of bad luck.

Great deal here though, I still don't think he's where he was defensively before the injury, but he's been fantastic for most of this season, and he's worth way more than 5.7m. :)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
terrific deal, he took a big discount to stay at home.

you know he would get 6.5 mil a year for 7 years easily on the open market. left a lot of money on the table.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
MORE? Dude. It's a really nice discount.

terrific deal, he took a big discount to stay at home.

you know he would get 6.5 mil a year for 7 years easily on the open market. left a lot of money on the table.

I see it more as an multiple injury hometown discount.

His eye will not improve beyond the vision he has now, and if Marc had another concussion before July, no one would be offering 7 years. Marc hedged his bets and it worked out well for all parties.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
With the cap going up, where does that leave the space available after Stepan resigns? I'd reup Zucc first.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Between the difference in money and the fact that he'd lose much less to taxes and cost of living in most other places, this is a hefty discount.

This was a signing that had to be made. We don't have anyone who we know can replace him right away, we wouldn't be able to get a comparable player at this price in FA (and why would we want that when we already have a guy who knows the system), and Staal is a key leader in the locker room. This team is built to contend now, and losing Staal would have hindered our ability to do that.

And perhaps best of all, we don't need to hear about Carolina anymore. :laugh:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Between the difference in money and the fact that he'd lose much less to taxes and cost of living in most other places, this is a hefty discount.

It really bugs me that COLA isn't taken into account with the cap. I suppose that when you're in these guys' tac bracket, the amenities provided by NYC life are worth the premium you are paying, but man, I would definitely not want to be a Ranger if I had the choice.

I'm not saying that the cap should be adjusted on the same scale as federal pay, for example, but there should definitely be some amount of locality adjustment factored in.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Love Marc.

I think in a couple of years the team might really have to look into trading Girardi, and hopefully Buch/Duke can come in and replace one of the forwards the Rangers are probably gonna lose. Nonetheless, Staal is the man and it's good to see him wear the sweater for what will be the most productive parts of his career.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Seems like he took a pretty significant discount. Glad to have him aboard.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
Well let's hope for the best! We really didn't have much choice, and him signing seemed inevitable. Sucks that we lose Hags, Zuccarello or msl . I would be wary of signing MSL over either of those, considering his career is in its twilight.
Also, with McD playing like dog crap, and may be needing shoulder surgery(speculation on my part), we need a strong LD.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
It's good to see players who have a loyalty and passion for the team they are a part of, and see something greater than simply the bucks. He is an important part of what this team is.
Yay.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
dancing_gif_by_thepivotsxxd-d468ttp.gif

Excellent

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Anyone believe with the Staal signing it give the Rangers more flexiblity to make some moves.

Most believe the Rangers can't sign everyone--not so sure but even so let's say the Rangers decide to package Hags.

The Rangers could put together a package of:

Hags
Undertakes or Allen dare I say Skjie(not likely)
Moore
Hell throw in Glass or Kristo( I know no one wants them)

Nice return for a top 6 forward.

I personal don't want to trade Buch or Duclair seeing how they are the youth.

Any ideas as to what that package could bring back.

Hanzel and Z from Arz or maybe give Dallas a call Fiddler and one of the young Dman????

Just food for throughly maybe someone has something better.

Sorry guys I just moved this post to the roster building trend---my bad.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Great contract. Correcf me if I'm wrong, but doesn't his partial NTC kick in when McDonagh's RFA contract is up? It'll give them room to alleviate some cap space for McDonagh, and by that time Skjei should be able to get 2nd pairing minutes. Pretty smart move by Sather and co if that's the case

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Love Marc.

I think in a couple of years the team might really have to look into trading Girardi, and hopefully Buch/Duke can come in and replace one of the forwards the Rangers are probably gonna lose. Nonetheless, Staal is the man and it's good to see him wear the sweater for what will be the most productive parts of his career.

My personal opinion is that McIlrath was drafted to eventually replace Girardi... I don't think that would ever happen, but i do see Klein doing that at some point

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He left somewhere around 10 mill on the table IMO. Great deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad