Post-Game Talk: Staaaaaaalllll wins it in OT (Mod warning post #260)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If you didn't cheer loudly when Staal scored because you were busy whining about KK's ice time, you aren't a real Habs fan.
Not a huge fan of gatekeeping. That said when staal scored, I cannot remember seeing a player in a habs jersey that happy on the ice. His smile was ear to ear and it was great to see the boys celebrate with him to welcome him.

Kudos to t'paul for fishing the puck out of the net for staal.

Losing 11 is gonna hurt, how much remains to be seen.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I’m really hoping we resign him.
Old man Perry is the bomb and one of the few players the habs signed that does exactly what you hoped for/expected of him to succeed.

I mean I liked the toffolli signing but I would be lying if I said I thought he would be where he is.

Perry's success seems just more assured going forward becuase there is no reason that what he is currently doing to be successful will magically disappear.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m really hoping we resign him.

Depends on how the Habs finish the year and how he gels with the team core we have. It's very possible.... even more possible if Danault is still asking for $5M+. We could sign Staal for $2M ish and let Danault walk while we retain both Tatar and Armia. One more year and I'm sure one of Evans or Poehling is ready for 3C role.

Reactions: Habs178 and Chr1s97

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They'll likely throw KK on the wing and bring in Evans until Armia is back.
Would prefer the other way around with Evans on the wing and Kotkaniemi staying at center. I just hope Kotkaniemi gets his share of ice time and does not Staal his development

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Would prefer the other way around with Evans on the wing and Kotkaniemi staying at center. I just hope Kotkaniemi gets his share of ice time and does not Staal his development

Considering we bamboozled him out of TOI for Nate Thompson before.. and the past track record.. I wouldn't be surprised.. but even if he stays at C, we know he's gonna get the worst linemates on the team and get punished for it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not a huge fan of gatekeeping. That said when staal scored, I cannot remember seeing a player in a habs jersey that happy on the ice. His smile was ear to ear and it was great to see the boys celebrate with him to welcome him.

Kudos to t'paul for fishing the puck out of the net for staal.

Losing 11 is gonna hurt, how much remains to be seen.

Perry slides into his spot with Tatar/Danault I bet. If anybody can replace Gallagher's role on that line, it's Perry

Tatar / Danault / Perry
Staal / Suzuki / Toffoli
Drouin / KK / Anderson
Byron / Evans / Armia

Lehkonen

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Considering we bamboozled him out of TOI for Nate Thompson before.. and the past track record.. I wouldn't be surprised.. but even if he stays at C, we know he's gonna get the worst linemates on the team and get punished for it.

Not sure if Ducharme is the old school "punish" type of coach

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Perry slides into his spot with Tatar/Danault I bet. If anybody can replace Gallagher's role on that line, it's Perry

Tatar / Danault / Perry
Staal / Suzuki / Toffoli
Drouin / KK / Anderson
Byron / Evans / Armia

Lehkonen

Is Armia even close to coming back?

Staal on the wing has he ever played wing in the NHL? They brought him in, in part for his faceoff taking ability which while not amazing, at about 51% for his career is better than all but Danault I believe.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ya, alas this organization as a whole still has issues with being good and consistent when developing a prospect. Dude needs to play at center and get ice time to continue to improve and be the player they expected when they drafted him.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
When you look at the last goal of staal. This is what can do a real goalscorer, even if he is old. You can’t teach that. He was skating on a fast stride and found the net. If you rewind 5 minutes before that goal, byron made the same kind of play 3 times, but his shot touch the board those 3 times

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is Armia even close to coming back?

Staal on the wing has he ever played wing in the NHL? They brought him in, in part for his faceoff taking ability which while not amazing, at about 51% for his career is better than all but Danault I believe.

Staal and Suzuki share the role. Did you watch the game last night? Staal was acting like a winger in our own end covering the point on a lot of shifts.

Not sure when Armia is coming back. I'm just assuming he is close

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
He did well this offseason, Florida GM giving him a run for his money though

True that

Id say

Hornqvist trade = Anderson trade

Wennberg signing = Toffoli signing

Weegar extension = Petry extension

Gudas = Edmundson

BUT they are carried by Barkov and Huberdeau as well, but very good point, Florida's GM should definetly be a strong candidate.

Reactions: the

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When you look at the last goal of staal. This is what can do a real goalscorer, even if he is old. You can’t teach that. He was skating on a fast stride and found the net. If you rewind 5 minutes before that goal, byron made the same kind of play 3 times, but his shot touch the board those 3 times

I like the added shot power with Staal in our mix. In tight games, shot power can break it open. This was a problem for the Habs for many seasons now.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Lots of positives last night...

- dominant first period
- KK line was terrific in the first... just a lack of finish
- Price with many important saves
- Weber was a wall in front of McBaby
- Petry was a beauty once again
- Mete was flying... I admit I thought he was done as a Hab a month ago
- Down by 2, they came storming back with a dominant 3rd to tie
- Perry was Perry...what a signing
- Anderson with another goal and flying all night
- Danault, Byron and Petry were terrific in OT
- Toffoli's drive and competitiveness are off the charts
- Tuna Tatar with a beauty game tying shot
- They seem to have figured out, unlike every other NHL team, how to contain McBaby
- After being so bad in OT all year, DD and staff are at least trying to implement a system that is getting better
- AND ERIC STALL WINS IT IN OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Exactly right... Byron missed the net by at least a foot each time.

Low stick side was always my favourite shot back in my glory house league years. :)

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007

What I really liked about Staal's play here is the pass reception. It was in his skates a bit, but he received it seamlessly and it even allowed him to be in shooting stride all along, making it unpredictable to the goalie when he would choose to shoot.

He may not be the Staal from years ago, but the instincts are something else. Him and Perry are that way.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So tell me why Suzuki was able to be productive and being contributive on the fourth line with thompson and KK isnt able. KK is probably a second centerman in the futur, but you exagerate on his potential
Forget about him. I think you're exaggerating KK's potential.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So everyone who wants to bring back Evans please raise their hand!!!@!@!!!!

:wally

Here!

Have to say Byron played a fantastic game. If he's going to play like that, I'd bench Lehkonen instead.

Evans is our best pker, and is more skilled. Put him on wing, but he needs to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad