St Louis Overtime Goal-Where Does it Rank Among Greatest Ranger Moments

DiehardSince81

May 27, 2014
It's great but moments like this are really solidified by the events that follow. This goal felt awesome but realistically if they fail to win the 'Cup everyone will probably put it with the Gaborik triple OT rather than the Matteau goal. Honestly part of the reason the Mattaeu goal was so great (aside from lol Fatso, lol Devils, series clinch) was the call on it. Don't expect any epic calls of a Rangers OT goal from NBC/CBC. I like Kenny but don't see him immortalizing any goals either.

I think the call is what makes it great all these years later, and still gives me chills. But I wasn't listening to the radio when that goal was scored. I didn't hear the call until much later. I was in a packed bar in Brooklyn (the now defunct Brooklyn Dodger in Bay Ridge) and it was jammed out to the gills. Total fire hazard. But I digress.

The elation of that goal is hard to top for me. After celebrating prematurely prior to the Devils tying the score with seconds left, to sitting on the edge of my seat during one OT and (vaguely remember) a big Devils opportunity before Matteau scored.............nothing has topped it for me since. That series was so emotionally draining, and all of the fear of losing just washed out in an instant. Incredible elation.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Really don't see a point in ranking anything at the moment. The Rangers are not even out of this series--series winning goals in overtime like Matteau's that beat the Devils in 94--go right to the top of the list but series winning goals tend to rank pretty high anyway. They don't even necessarily have to be great shots like St. Louis' the other night. Messier's that was the '94 cup winner IMO was controversial--I still think it was Noonan's. It's not always the stars that get the big goals. Mike Rupp has a Stanley Cup winning goal--so does Travis Moen.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
As great a goal as it was and as fun as it was to shake the house and wake the neighborhood, that goal doesn't compare at all to Matteau's second double overtime goal. Nor Leetch's, nor Graves, nor "Messier's" goal in Game 7 1994.

Messier is in quotes because aint no way he scored that 3rd goal, Graves scored it.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
#4, right behind Nash's game 5 goal that sent us to the finals and obviously behind both the late tying goal by Richards and Hagelin's Cup winning goal in game 6 of the SCF :sarcasm:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
As great a goal as it was and as fun as it was to shake the house and wake the neighborhood, that goal doesn't compare at all to Matteau's second double overtime goal. Nor Leetch's, nor Graves, nor "Messier's" goal in Game 7 1994.

Messier is in quotes because aint no way he scored that 3rd goal, Graves scored it.

Pretty sure you mean Noonan

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

I thought Noonan scored it?

corduroyg

Apr 10, 2012
nyc
the later you go in the playoffs the bigger the goals are. this goal was bigger than the richards/staal goals 2 years ago.

rangers5000

Apr 30, 2012
come on guys, the richards/staal moment was good but this beats it simply because its a finals

with all the bad calls, fear of going 2-2 back to montreal, that goal and the beauty of it imo tops richards/staal

this was pretty much the richards/staal moment except 1 round later, it felt with this goal that it may be the moment they need to finally make it to the 4th round
richards/staal did the same, but to the 3rd round

BarbaraAlphanse

much bigger? no way.

We went to the ECF that year and were considered favorites to not only go to the cup but potentially win it.

That win meant we were heading to Washington with a cushion rather than on the brink of elimination on a year that so many of us believed was destined to end with greatness. It's easy to say in retrospect that this was bigger because it happened later in the playoffs, but that goal was one of the clutchest goals in Rangers history.

The elation I felt after that goal supersedes any Rangers moment I remember (I remember nothing of the '94 run besides the parade - I had just turned 3).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
come on guys, the richards/staal moment was good but this beats it simply because its a finals

with all the bad calls, fear of going 2-2 back to montreal, that goal and the beauty of it imo tops richards/staal

this was pretty much the richards/staal moment except 1 round later, it felt with this goal that it may be the moment they need to finally make it to the 4th round
richards/staal did the same, but to the 3rd round

The Richards/Staal thing was special because of the tying goal

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

Agreed!

Add to it, the Rangers shouldn't have been in that position and the goal is even less. In the end it was an OT GWG.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Tough to say because the series isn't over. Maybe someone scores an even bigger goal to clinch the series. Maybe Montreal forces the series to 7 games and the St. Louis goal loses some of its significance.

The 97 ECF run was great, there were two series-clinching OT goals. Graves' wraparound goal against Marty to eliminate the Devils remains one of my favorite post-94 moments, shades of Matteau all over again. The Rozy double OT winner is another personal favorite of mine - it was the first playoff OT goal for the Rangers in 10 years.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
After Matteau Matteau Matteau my 2nd fondest is Stemkowski's triple OT winner in 71. Yes Im old lol. It lost its luster after 94 rightfully so as we didn't even go on to win gm 7. But thru the 70s and 80s ,it was an awesome recollection.

The moral is like some here have said MSL's great goal will only last a lifetime if we win the cup.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
All of these moments are great, and all captured in time and memory. Each was the greatest moment at the moment it occurred, and each struck their own chords and made us feel the passion the drives us, that makes us love hockey as we do. The moments that make us certain, without doubt, that this is the greatest sport of them all, leading us to question what is lacking from the minds of the 'normals' that for some reason can't cause them to see that. How this sport ranks below like, I dunno, billiards or something, I'll never know. No other sport comes close, and us that are fans know that. Because when you're a fan, you get it. No fans are more passionate than hockey fans, and it's because of moments like all those listed.

This SC run we're on right now is exactly what I love about hockey. You just never know. Every game, every shift, every shot, can matter so much. And don't blink, ever, or you might miss a moment that can be remembered a lifetime.

Let no one here doubt that we can do this. Over and over I've repeated aloud what Henrik uttered to start the playoffs to begin with. "Why not us?". The team has bought in. They believe. They believe in the journey, they believe in each other. This is the most I've seen them play as a team in 20 years. Greater than the sum of their parts. I miss Cally, I truly do. But the injection of MSL, his leadership, his legacy, has made all the difference. Leaders abound on this team, as does heart, and in some part skill. We have one of the best defenseman in the world, the best goalie in the world, and some of the most underrated players whose skill potential still has not yet been met. Possibilities are endless here. And I for one, believe. I truly believe, and even down 3-1 against Pitt, at which time my sons heard me give a 45 minute tirade about their not playing to potential, about how this just wasn't them, that tired or not they need to dig down, and blah blah blah, speaking as if I were there coach in their locker room at that very moment, lashing out with conviction and fury, but ending it with nothing but full faith and confidence. I knew we could come back. I knew we could match Pitt, contain pitt, and advance. My sons heard me say it, that we will do this. That we can come together as a team and find the heart and the will to play like the warriors we need to play like in order to be cup worthy. And then we did. And my sons learned one hell of a lesson, that you can never count a team out in the playoffs. They too now believe. They too now feel, "why not us?". Because we can. Because we are greater than the sum of our parts. Because we believe, and we believe in each other. Because we have the right leaders, the right depth, the right attitude, and no "always look to pass the puck to so and so" type stars.

I often have believed that you can tell the team that will go on to win the cup by going through each series and imagining what the SC run video months later would look like. What story lines would it have? There's always a story line. Silly concept, I know. But I'm tellin ya, if you try and imagine the video in your head, or one hour special in your head, you can usually pinpoint which team would be the one likely to fill the footage. And to me, when I'm doing it this year, though LA is worthy as well, this time I see the footage being filled with us. Our story lines. Our road to triumph.

We have a long way to go, my friends, but this year, this journey is hours. In a few weeks, I am going to be enjoying a life long memory with my two boys, as we join thousands of you for the victory parade in NYC. What other moments will occur from now till then? Who will the heroes be? I can say with almost certainty that at one point Zucc will have a moment worthy of making the list. Remember I said it. He will have his hero moment. But what others? So much must happen from now till the hoisting of the cup. So many saves, so many plays, so much more story. My warning to all, is to not take any moment of it for granted. Don't let the games fly by, enjoy each shift, keep replaying a good goal, enjoy this run, because it may end up being memorialized forever, and we can all years down the road proclaim "I remember that moment", "I remember how I felt" "I remember what the look on my sons face was like" etc. Enjoy it. All of it. We've a long way to go, but just remember, "Why not us?"...

And on a completely separate note, as much as it might ruin the spirit of above, I do want to at least weigh in on the whole Messier/Noonan thing. Video, angles, speed, are tricky things. Yes, it looks so unlikely if not impossible to have been Mess's goal, but it was. I've gone through it a million times and have pinpointed exactly how it was. But to me the most important evidence of all is Messier himself. To those of you who believe it was Noonan, I speak this to you. I cannot consider you to be a true blue blooded ranger fan if you do not believe that our greatest captain had even a shred of integrity. You would have to believe that Mess has such little integrity, such a complete lack of it, that he would go all these years without owning up to it. Yes, that is a fact. You would have to think so little of him, that you should be demanding his banner be yanked from the rafters. But Mess is full of integrity and honor, and I'm a proud Rangers fan that holds him up as one of our greatest. There is simply no way, none, that he would have such little integrity and honor that he would let everyone continue to believe it was his goal. How can you be a die hard fan and yet think so little of "The Captain"?. That's all I've got to say about that. I cringe every time I see those claiming it wasn't him, because it is a character assassination on him, on one of our greatest. An out and out character assassination, as if he had no character at all. Yes, it was his goal. Had it not been, we would've known about it years ago, from Mess's mouth himself. Period.

Anyway, enjoy the game tonight all, I'm crossing my fingers we just end it here. Let's just do this. LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Agreed, Graves, and of course the MSL goal may be usurped by more events; well, hopefully there are more moments to come that will top that goal. Not taking away anything from the goal - just saying I hope there are other events that will seem more important at the time than an OT goal to go up 3-1 in the Conference Finals,

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I was thinking about the graves' OT goal that was almost identical to matteau's, against NJ to win the series in '97. Also in '97 was that Tikkanen shot off the camera in OT against fla. One of the hardest one timers I ever saw. Just a spectacle how fast it was on and out, VBK was reacting after it was ten feet out. Video review. Think that won the series too.

Test of time, for me, these moments rank higher OT wise. Plus Gretzky's hat tricks.

Last edited:

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Here is today's history lesson, kids. Stemmer's Triple OT goal against Chicago in April of '71 (love hearing Marv's narration!). Marty's OT goal is roughly on par with this one, but will loom larger if the Rangers advance to the SCF. Matteau's still has slightly more historical significance though IMHO. That clinched the conference final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGh_lG-k-Uk

Thesensation19*

I was scared the whole game we would lose. I was quiet for the entire OT. And I jumped up and celebrated for that MSL goal like any Ranger fan I expect did.

However I didnt really take from that game much. thought that is just me.

Looking back at it now, and researching the last 10 years of Rangers.

There is probably only Brad Richards OT goal 2 years ago that beats it. And maybe 1 goal last year that competes with it. On that note, Malik shootout is up there. And that is really it.

So yea it probably ranks 2nd in post lock out goals.
Maybe higher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad