St Louis Overtime Goal-Where Does it Rank Among Greatest Ranger Moments

rangers5000

Apr 30, 2012
i know its still fresh but in recent memory the only one that comes close to this is the brad richards late goal and staal's winner vs caps

not the game, but the moment st louis took the puck and the celebration

Tumsh

Jun 26, 2007
i know its still fresh but in recent memory the only one that comes close to this is the brad richards late goal and staal's winner vs caps

It's going to depend on how the rest of the playoffs go...

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014

I watched that game on my phone while in the waiting room while my wife was in labor with our first child. That was a moment I will always remember.

I was at the game tonight, and that was the greatest MSG moment I have witnessed in person.

rangers5000

Apr 30, 2012
Perhaps the biggest moment since 94.

was thinking this to
dont think i ever jumped for joy as much as i did in that moment

literally time stopped in those last few moments

gabbys 3 overtime winner was big, but this felt even better

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
The whole Richards scores late then Staal wins it was amazing, but I think this tops it.

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
I think they are very close but you have to take into consideration the round. The ECF brings this up a notch. Heading back to MTL in the ECF up 3-1 is so insanely important compared to going back tied 2-2. This was the biggest goal in 20 years.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I think they are very close but you have to take into consideration the round. The ECF brings this up a notch. Heading back to MTL in the ECF up 3-1 is so insanely important compared to going back tied 2-2. This was the biggest goal in 20 years.

and Richards' goal saved us from being down 3-2 heading to WSH Without that goal we essentially don't even make the ECF. Plus the whole clutch factor with 6 seconds to go and all.

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
and Richards' goal saved us from being down 3-2 heading to WSH Without that goal we essentially don't even make the ECF. Plus the whole clutch factor with 6 seconds to go and all.

It was more magical, but less important. Marty's goal will prove to have much more impact. No one will remember the context of Richards goal in 20 years. If we make the cup finals this goal has much more staying power. It was huge.

Cake or Death

Tough to say where it ranks since I've been watching the team about four decades. Tonight's ending was exciting. But if I have to be honest, I flipped out vastly more last round when the final buzzer sounded and the seemingly impossible comeback against the Pens was complete. No idea where I'd rank tonight's game, but it's been a great run this season.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
It's going to depend on how the rest of the playoffs go...

Nail on the head. Tonight it's still fresh and a fantastic moment, but if we in a week are shopping for new golf clubs and fishing equipment, then this will fade away fairly quickly. Then most of us will want to forget about this whole series as soon as possible. Hopefully this will still be a awesome moment 10 and 20 years from now.

Tikkanen10fan

Apr 2, 2012
It's new and exciting..can they make him captain already??..but there were some magical goals scored in the 97 playoffs.
Graves wrap around. The comeback in game 4 until Lindros scored with 7 seconds left.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
In my time... it might be top-10, if we're just looking at playoffs.

Here's some of my favorites:

1992 Game 7 Destruction of Devils
1994 Game 3 ECF Double OT Matteau
1994 Game 6 ECF Messier Hat Trick
1994 Game 7 ECF Matteau Double OT
1994 Game 4 SCF Bure Penalty Shot
1994 Game 7 SCF Leetch Goal
1994 Game 7 SCF Cup win, obviously
1997 Game 3 ECQF Tikkanen OT Goal that hit the camera
1997 Game 4 ECQF Gretzky Hat trick
1997 Game 5 ECQF Tikkanen OT elimination goal (I really liked that series)
1997 Game 5 ECSF Graves OT elimination goal vs Devils
2007 Game 3 ECSF Roszival Double OT
2008 Game 5 ECQF Chico Resch cries
2012 Game 3 ECSF Gaborik triple OT
2012 Game 5 ECSF Richards ties and Staal wins

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
In my time... it might be top-10, if we're just looking at playoffs.

Here's some of my favorites:

1992 Game 7 Destruction of Devils
1994 Game 3 ECF Double OT Matteau
1994 Game 6 ECF Messier Hat Trick
1994 Game 7 ECF Matteau Double OT
1994 Game 4 SCF Bure Penalty Shot
1994 Game 7 SCF Leetch Goal
1994 Game 7 SCF Cup win, obviously
1997 Game 3 ECQF Tikkanen OT Goal that hit the camera
1997 Game 4 ECQF Gretzky Hat trick
1997 Game 5 ECQF Tikkanen OT elimination goal (I really liked that series)
1997 Game 5 ECSF Graves OT elimination goal vs Devils
2007 Game 3 ECSF Roszival Double OT
2008 Game 5 ECQF Chico Resch cries
2012 Game 3 ECSF Gaborik triple OT
2012 Game 5 ECSF Richards ties and Staal wins

That was so classic. :laugh:

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The closest historical comparison, RIGHT NOW, is Stemkowski's triple OT winner in a Game 6 at the Garden vs. Chicago in the semi-finals (1971). That forced a Game 7.

They lost the Game 7.

If this year's team advances, the MSL goal probably trumps that one, and moves closer to Matteau status.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
My favorite Rangers post-lockout moment continues to be Shanahan squaring off against Brashear at center ice. Despite Shanny's attempts to make me hate him in a certain position he used to hold with the league ;) The way he was sticking up for Jagr there, and taking on Donald in that moment. Wow.

That MSL goal was a fantastic moment though, and hopefully not the best moment of these playoffs ;)

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
Ha, Yeah Tikkanen in 97 refusing to play on just standing there with his arms up celebrating because he knew he scored. That was pretty memorable. That was an awesome run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad