GDT: St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks -- Game 1| 9:30 CT | NBCSN, FSMW |

Status
Not open for further replies.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
All right, time to start looking for the panic button.

I do believe the Blues miss Eddy and Maroon. Heart and soul rough and tumble guys you need in the playoffs.

Faulk is a disaster.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

I do believe the Blues miss Eddy and Maroon. Heart and soul rough and tumble guys you need in the playoffs.

Faulk is a disaster.
Edmundson likely probably just would've added more PIMs. Maroon would've been nice simply because he is a bottom 6 forward which they're missing two of right now. Ultimately neither one likely makes a difference. The team is struggling because their best players aren't playing their best which is what you need in the postseason.

Faulk and his contract are a disaster.

Reactions: Bendak

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I honestly dont think we played that poorly. Could certain players have played better, yes. However, I feel our loss came down to 4 major points.

1. Markstrom was just better than Binnington. I felt like Binny was cheating to the short side all night and the Canucks made him pay. I didn't like goals 1,3 or 4 against.

2. Penalties. I know the officiating was poor but we didn't adjust at all and continued to take call after call all night. This not only lead to 3 Vancouver goals but I felt it stalled our 5v5 game which was building in the right direction.

3. Clearing the puck. This one goes with the excess penalties. On each of Vancouver's first two PP goals there was a time when Blues defender had the puck on his stick with time and space and failed to clear. The puck was in the back of net within 10 seconds each time. Those pucks have to get out.

4. Hit the net. This is one that has plagued this team for a long time. I swear no team misses clean looks at the net more than the Blues. I counted 8-10 chances the Blues had in a prime scoring area last night where the Blues either shot wide or tried to force that extra pass. These opportunities are rare, they have to get on net.

Overall I liked the way or game was trending last night. Especially 5 on 5. I'm not worried yet but next game is crucial.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It's really disheartening to me to see this team STILL trying to find the right pairings on defense. We've been a discombobulated mess there all season long and Scandella is a significantly worse player than Bouwmeester. I would really like to see changes made to this group before the start of next season.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Faulk playing-
good play, good play, what was that?, good play, good play, did he really just do that?, good play, good play, wait...what?, ... and so on
it is actually more frustrating because you can see the talent and ability, but that absolute consistency of senseless mistakes is really hard to fathom

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
It's really disheartening to me to see this team STILL trying to find the right pairings on defense. We've been a discombobulated mess there all season long and Scandella is a significantly worse player than Bouwmeester. I would really like to see changes made to this group before the start of next season.

I have been saying to all who will listen,

Jaybo is a HUGE loss for the team for this run, more important then all other changes put together. He is safety net for whom ever he is paired with, Great PKer and over all calming influence.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
sundqvist still only seems to be about 70% available when he's on the ice, guess he's still nursing something from that awkward fall in practice

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I agree, but I think Perunovich will probably make the team and add to the pieces. But I’m not sure he’ll correct the problem.

It would be nice if Mikkola forced his way into the picture.

I don’t see any trades on defense other than maybe moving someone out to make room. I have a bad feeling we’re going to view Scandella as a 7th man by next season.

Reactions: Bendak and TK 421

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Faulk is a disaster.
That’s not the issue. The Blues were the wayyy more physical team.

They probably went a bit overboard with it and got away with a couple calls as well.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I honestly dont think we played that poorly. Could certain players have played better, yes. However, I feel our loss came down to 4 major points.

1. Markstrom was just better than Binnington. I felt like Binny was cheating to the short side all night and the Canucks made him pay. I didn't like goals 1,3 or 4 against.

Overall I liked the way or game was trending last night. Especially 5 on 5. I'm not worried yet but next game is crucial.
Markstrom’s going to be a huge factor in this series. He had a great season and is very locked in right now. That kick save at the end of the game was a perfect example.

Under a normal playoff atmosphere and season it feels like the Blues would be able to use their experience and style to beat Vancouver pretty easily. I still think we win this series but it won’t be easy.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I agree, but I think Perunovich will probably make the team and add to the pieces. But I’m not sure he’ll correct the problem.

I don’t see any trades on defense other than maybe moving someone out to make room. I have a bad feeling we’re going to view Scandella as a 7th man by next season.
Scandella is fine. He looked much better when rest of team was playing well. That improves, his play will. Bigger problem on D to me is Dunn needs to be sheltered and he and Faulk don't pair well together. I would put Faulk back with Petro.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Scandella is fine. He looked much better when rest of team was playing well. That improves, his play will. Bigger problem on D to me is Dunn needs to be sheltered and he and Faulk don't pair well together. I would put Faulk back with Petro.
Agreed on Scandella. He’s no Bo but I thought he played a real strong game 1. They will probably put bortz in for Dunn next game. I wouldn’t mind seeing Faulk sit a game but they won’t do it. If Petro doesn’t get his head out of his azz then Faulk won’t look much better with him. I’m thinking Gunner would make a good partner for Faulk right now. He needs a steady/stay at home type on the other side.

Reactions: Bendak and mk80

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Agreed, Perunovich could be part of the solution but for me Mikkola is perfect to take Bouwmeesters role directly. Obviously he doesn't have the experience yet but his instincts and reads give me a lot of confidence he can adjust quickly and his physical attributes and play style both fit the role. This could then free up Scandella to pair with Petro(assuming he's re-signed of course).

I'm with you on Scandella, he doesn't do much for me.

Nederlander

Apr 19, 2017
Colorado
I thought Scandella looked solid last night, he wasn't why we lost. I love Dunn's offensive instincts, but he needs someone solid defensively paired with him, and that ain't Faulk. Let's face it, the Faulk trade and extension was a bust. He just doesn't fit.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I thought Scandella looked solid last night, he wasn't why we lost. I love Dunn's offensive instincts, but he needs someone solid defensively paired with him, and that ain't Faulk. Let's face it, the Faulk trade and extension was a bust. He just doesn't fit.
Scandella and Parayko’s inability to execute a pass under a low pressure forecheck led to the 3rd goal. Bouwmeester and Parayko didn’t have flubs like that very often in the postseason.

Boyesfan

Feb 4, 2008
I really really want Blais back, I was trying to find somewhere that tells me how long he is out. I could see him punishing the nucks.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't want to say the Blues look like they don't care. I am sure they do. But something is off with them. They don't seem like the same team that won the cup and were leading the west before covid.

Kind of stating the obvious I know but its puzzling.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Think Seattle will take him? :laugh:

I am kind of torn on him. If we lose Pie, which I have this horrible feeling he won his cup and will go chase money to play in Canada (he just doesn't seem like an STL lifer to me) it would be good to keep Faulk even though he is expensive. Our D depth isn't what it used to be.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Blais was on the ice today, so that's a good sign.

Does anyone know what's wrong with Steen?

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Faulk playing-
good play, good play, what was that?, good play, good play, did he really just do that?, good play, good play, wait...what?, ... and so on
it is actually more frustrating because you can see the talent and ability, but that absolute consistency of senseless mistakes is really hard to fathom

Literally every single time I think to myself " Faulk is looking pretty good" he does something boneheaded. Its infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad