GDT: St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks -- Game 1| 9:30 CT | NBCSN, FSMW |

Status
Not open for further replies.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
If he doesn’t have a bounce back game Friday, I think we’ll see Allen in Game 3.
Binner finds his game in front of an audience. Allen's been honing his craft in exhibition settings. If ever there were a time to rotate goalies in the playoffs, this is it.

The Nucks are shooting blocker side over and over on him, and I can't help but wonder if throwing them a changeup in this exhibition setting doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Bendak and TheDizee

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Promising for game 1 still. If we keep improving each game like I expect, I like our chances.

Reactions: Bendak

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Promising for game 1 still. If we keep improving each game like I expect, I like our chances.
The Blues found their legs about 13 minutes into The 1st Period, and were competitive through the end of The 2nd. They started to deteriorate near the beginning of The 3rd, and spent most of that period chasing The Canucks and the puck. They are now 0-12 in goals for-goals against in the 3rd Period of the 4 games that have counted since the Pandemic Break, and 0-14, if we add in the game vs. The Hawks. That CAN'T be a coincidence. And we can't account for that with the excuse that the games "didn't count". The Blues are still not in top playing shape (just like Boston), and the teams that they've been playing have been in better shape, and also have had their players in better sync, as well. The good news is that The Blues were quite a bit better in this game for most of the first 2 periods than they were in the 3 Round Robin games. I doubt that they'll be ALL the way back next game. But, let's hope they play inspired, and win it, anyway. Going down 0-2 would be a big problem.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
The Blues found their legs about 13 minutes into The 1st Period, and were competitive through the end of The 2nd. They started to deteriorate near the beginning of The 3rd, and spent most of that period chasing The Canucks and the puck. They are now 0-12 in goals for-goals against in the 3rd Period of the 4 games that have counted since the Pandemic Break, and 0-14, if we add in the game vs. The Hawks. That CAN'T be a coincidence. And we can't account for that with the excuse that the games "didn't count". The Blues are still not in top playing shape (just like Boston), and the teams that they've been playing have been in better shape, and also have had their players in better sync, as well. The good news is that The Blues were quite a bit better in this game for most of the first 2 periods than they were in the 3 Round Robin games. I doubt that they'll be ALL the way back next game. But, let's hope they play inspired, and win it, anyway. Going down 0-2 would be a big problem.
We were dominating in the third, we looked like the Good Blues until that soft goal against. The most troubling aspect was our response to that, we lost confidence in the game plan. The forecheck died, the guys got stupid and played on their heels. I fear this team just can't muster the adrenaline required to play our way without an audience.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
The trade that seems really bad now is the Fabbri one, some additinal scoring is needed throughout the lineup.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
One thing too on the bad Stetcher goal. This doesn't absolve Binnington on that because he needs to have that save, but that puck also needed to be cleared out of the zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston and Bendak

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
We were dominating in the third, we looked like the Good Blues until that soft goal against. The most troubling aspect was our response to that, we lost confidence in the game plan. The forecheck died, the guys got stupid and played on their heels. I fear this team just can't muster the adrenaline required to play our way without an audience.

its gotta be f***ing weird ... but hopefully chief and otter will bark em up

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
its gotta be f***ing weird ... but hopefully chief and otter will bark em up
I hope so, but ultimately it has to be internal. Nobody can magically unlock what isn't there already. There's no magic formula to the Cup, including what got us there last year. Just have to trust in each other and the system, and work hard together.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
This team will be out in the first round if they don't wake up fast. I hate the Dunn/Faulk pairing as neither guy can defend that well, and we took FAR too many penalties. I don't think Vancouver can beat us at even strength as long as we limit their PP chances.

And please start Allen next game, Binnington has looked mediocre since play re-started and most of the season quite frankly. The team seems to play harder in front of Allen and I don't have any patience to watch this half-assed version of Blues hockey any more!

Reactions: Bendak and simon IC

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Brutal. Just lost to Vancouver of all teams :laugh: Yikes.

lol, reminded me of this classic quote from earlier this season.

EGiW8iLX4AElSdo.jpg

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If neither Steen nor Blais can go Friday I hope they get Kyrou in over DLR at the very least. DLR brings nothing to the table, and having both he and Brouwer in the lineup is gross.

Having watched the recording, I agree with most everything that’s been said. Much better 5-on-5 but soft goaltending and a lack of discipline is going to sink any team. Friday’s a big game. Going down 2-0 likely makes this a quick series, but if they win I like their odds in a best of 5. They were so good (Binnington in particular) at bouncing back last year — I hope we see it again.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The trade that seems really bad now is the Fabbri one, some additinal scoring is needed throughout the lineup.

He’d be on the bench just like Kyrou was tonight. Chief wouldn’t trust his defensive game. Doesn’t play the style Chief wants.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
There is no-one not dressed for the Blues last night that is going to come in and improve the offense from last night, what they will do is improve our ability to grind down Vancouver to allow our top two lines to have an easier time. If Blais, Barbie or Steen net a goal, well that's just a little extra bonus. Without those three the rest of the top three lines had to play just a little of a harder assignment. Blais and Barbie are two of our best fore-checkers

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Not worried just yet. If they lose game 2 though I might start to worry though.

There is no-one not dressed for the Blues last night that is going to come in and improve the offense from last night, what they will do is improve our ability to grind down Vancouver to allow our top two lines to have an easier time. If Blais, Barbie or Steen net a goal, well that's just a little extra bonus. Without those three the rest of the top three lines had to play just a little of a harder assignment. Blais and Barbie are two of our best fore-checkers
Has there been any word of Barbie has come back yet? I know he’s gotta pass tests 4 (?) straight days or whatever once he does.

Reactions: Bendak and Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad