GDT: St. Louis Blues @ Detroit Red Wings 6:30 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What are your feelings about AndyMacs game so far? ok, He has 10 pts/13 games, and it's too early but I kind of expected Him to be more of a leader in scoring. Of course it's very nice to see Bergie, Stewie and Frank putting pucks to the net, but Andy is not getting scoring chances like old times.

But, nice win, good battle, hopefully THE SHIP IS TURNING! :handclap:

He's playing great IMO. He gets whatever line he's on going. David Backes and TJ Oshie played their best game of the season (IMO) against Anaheim when they had McDonald on the wing.

Tarasenko was most effective when he had Andy Mac. And lo and behold, McDonald was back on the same line as him and he scores last night.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
What are your feelings about AndyMacs game so far? ok, He has 10 pts/13 games, and it's too early but I kind of expected Him to be more of a leader in scoring. Of course it's very nice to see Bergie, Stewie and Frank putting pucks to the net, but Andy is not getting scoring chances like old times.

But, nice win, good battle, hopefully THE SHIP IS TURNING! :handclap:

I am not happy with Andy's game. His point totals are great, but like many on the team points are not the whole story. His decision making is about 2 notches below what one would expect. He is getting worked in the corners by a fair margin (something he was fairly good at historically). When he isn't getting points, his play is relatively low given his abilities.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I am not happy with Andy's game. His point totals are great, but like many on the team points are not the whole story. His decision making is about 2 notches below what one would expect. He is getting worked in the corners by a fair margin (something he was fairly good at historically). When he isn't getting points, his play is relatively low given his abilities.

What he said...

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The goaltending will revert to the mean but the engine of this team are the skaters. It all starts with tremendous dedication in the defensive zone and I was really impressed with what I saw in the last half of the game from the Blues in that dept. First time I felt like I was seeing glimpses of last season. They do that and they'll win consistently.

There are some notions among fans I've seen out there that T.J. Oshie has been bad-to-average this season. I do not even begin to understand how these fans watch the game. He's been BY FAR the Blues' best forward all season.

Stewart and Berglund had tremendous "on" games. How much better would this team be if those players had it in them to do it with any regularity?

I still don't understand what Pietrangelo is doing out there. Really hard to take watching what you thought was a rare prodigy turn into someone so freaking average. His poorly-decided step ups seem to generate several odd-man rushes against per game.

I am not sure I would go as far as average in terms of overall play, but defensively I wholeheartedly agree. His puck control and compete in the corners/behind the net has been very erratic. That is no way comparable to last year. In addition, Petro is also making some poor reads in terms of gap closure.

Offensively, he needs to start thinking about turnover transitions from the offensive zone. He is leaving his D partner out to dry, by not backpedaling quick enough.

Overall he just needs to play conservative in high risk situations and settle down on offense. The greatest thing about Petro last year and the thing that made him comparable to Lidstrom was his ability to wait for opportunities and capitalize on them. This year he is trying to make opportunities and it is burning the team too frequently. The points will still come even with a conservative approach. Its part of what makes great players great IMO.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Just finished watching the game, was impressed with their overall play. Maybe they're headed in the right direction, playing a team defensive game is what I like to see it creates puck possession, which improved their play in the neutral zone which allowed them to gain the blue line. Just keep things simple.

Now they need to do this to the Kings.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Totally agree with the comments on Petro. Offensively he's fine, but defensively he looks like crap. We've never seen him make such bad pinching decisions and look so weak on the defensive side of the puck. I'm really kind of perplexed. What does everybody else think of starting Allen next game?

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I really liked Schwartz's game last night. That is the most confident I've seen him with the puck all year.

+1.

I'm surprised his game isn't being talked about more. He was awesome last night. Great forechecking (spearheaded a shift where the Blues spent about 40 seconds in the offensive zone) and you can tell the game is starting to slow down for him a bit. He's hanging on to the puck longer and looking to make plays.

As for Petro, yea his decision making is leaving me scratching my head. His horrible pinch in the 2nd period (I believe Flippula went in on a partial 2 on 1 with Datsyuk) was the most noticeable error and he played a key role in the first goal against.

Amazing what happens when he sticks to playing defense. His great stick check in the defensive zone led to Stewart's goal.

He really needs to simplify his game.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I really liked Schwartz's game last night. That is the most confident I've seen him with the puck all year.

Agree 100%. He was so shifty in the corners, stole the puck a few times, and cycled like a maniac. He was great.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree with Celtic I'm disappointed with McDonald's game. He isn't playing great at all. His game is just a notch below what I expected. He's no longer burning opponents with his speed. He is bad defensively. He's been OK but not as much of a leader as I hoped. Plus he's just too small.

I really wish Schwartz would catch fire because I'm not exactly yelling for McDonald's return next season. Would love if Schwartz could take his place. Jaden was good last night. His whole line was fun to watch.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I agree about McDonald, that's why I'm hoping Stewart becomes a complete player. I'd rather The Blues keep the bigger body and with McDonald's age we know the end will come, you just don't know when it will happen.

If The Blues breese into the playoffs I doubt there will be a move at the dead line, but if they're struggling I could see him being moved. I would be ok either way if he stayed this year or if they moved him, but I just hate to see assets wasted. Because I believe this will not be their year, but I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad