St Louis Blues at the trade deadline

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I would rather have Jaskin over Jagr or Stafford. His physicality is a welcomed addition to the third line. He is defensively solid and goes hard to the net. These are important attributes for playoff success.

As for the development of Jaskin, it's best that we let him play.

For the team, I think this is a final assessment year. We either make it far and tweak or we make some larger changes. If it's the later, the I would rather have the assets to make those moves without sacrificing winning now or the future. I just don't think short term transactions make sense unless they are cheap.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Jagr isn't 29 anymore but hey let's not let that get in the way of facts.

Jagr is a fantastic possession player and still puts up plenty of points. Not great defensively and doesn't hit though.

I'd rather have him for the impact he can give off the ice than the impact he has on the ice. The guy is more experienced and more dedicated than anyone else in the league and he could be the difference between crumbling and bouncing back if the team drops a couple in a row.

Overall though I don't really care. I don't think it would be a big improvement because I like the team we have. We don't need to make lateral moves.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Jagr for Rattie and NJ's 2nd in 2015?

No thanks. The idea of acquiring Jagr is that he's cheap asset-wise, a proven performer, and fits the depth role "we" feel that Jaskin isn't ready for in the playoffs. If we're giving up a guy with decent potential and a pick that this organization has proven they can do well with for a pure rental, we're in trouble.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Stafford doesn't offer all that much offensive production either. He was only an option before Jaskin started playing better and Lindstrom was in the lineup full-time.

There are very few realistic upgrades on the market for us. We won't be going after players with term, so no Doan, and there just aren't any quality rentals that will either be in our asset cost range or even enough of an upgrade to make it worth it.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That 2nd will be 35-40 pick where 1st round talent is. NJ isn't going for that.

Fans have said to get Rattie they would do Jagr+3rd(15) or their 2nd. Not both

Why is it that others seem to covet Rattie, but he can't get a sniff of the NHL from us. And we are possibly looking for a right winger who can score.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Only reason I can think of is he's a pure offensive player..too weak in his zone and on the backcheck. I havnt watched him play so I'm swinging in the dark. Management is still pretty high on him so I don't think they are actively looking to deal him but here's the positives I see in trading him or reason to entertain the idea.

-position of relative strength
-"weak" defensive play
-we have Fabbri who has probably passed him.
-if we can snag a 2015 1st or 2nd in a deal for Rattie, we can improve another position of need or pick up a player with higher potential that'll take longer to develop, kick the can down the road to say.

Rattie is a luxury to me. We're good with keeping him or he might be a valuable asset to improve the team. I wouldn't move him at all for a rental unless future assets are coming back too.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Why is it that others seem to covet Rattie, but he can't get a sniff of the NHL from us. And we are possibly looking for a right winger who can score.

Other teams would be looking at Rattie as a potential future piece - he has value in the future, not not really much of any value at the NHL level currently. The Blues could theoretically use a good 3rd line winger now, but Rattie isn't ready yet. He's still a very one dimensional player at the AHL level. The Blues are looking for him to make the next step and work on his play without the puck, defensive game, bulk up some more, etc. He's likely a good future NHLer but if placed in the NHL today, you likely have someone like Petr Sejna or TJ Hensick. It would be nice if Rattie could just jump in and fill that spot well but there's really no reason to think he would be successful in that spot in the NHL at this point. He's still developing and needs another year or two before he's ready to make a true NHL impact IMO. I wouldn't just give him away or anything but he's certainly a trade chip I'd be willing to part with in the right deal.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Only reason I can think of is he's a pure offensive player..too weak in his zone and on the backcheck. I havnt watched him play so I'm swinging in the dark. Management is still pretty high on him so I don't think they are actively looking to deal him but here's the positives I see in trading him or reason to entertain the idea.

-position of relative strength
-"weak" defensive play
-we have Fabbri who has probably passed him.
-if we can snag a 2015 1st or 2nd in a deal for Rattie, we can improve another position of need or pick up a player with higher potential that'll take longer to develop, kick the can down the road to say.

Rattie is a luxury to me. We're good with keeping him or he might be a valuable asset to improve the team. I wouldn't move him at all for a rental unless future assets are coming back too.

I don't know, if theres a package for someone to get that can significantly help this team now, I take it. I like future pieces, but Fabbri, Jaskin and even Barabashev in a few years will be NHLers. Rattie is a luxury but may not fit with the team now or in the future.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't know, if theres a package for someone to get that can significantly help this team now, I take it. I like future pieces, but Fabbri, Jaskin and even Barabashev in a few years will be NHLers. Rattie is a luxury but may not fit with the team now or in the future.
I agree but for what's been proposed...nothing has enticed me enough to move Rattie though.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
I think Zidlicky would be a good match with Jackman and could even make our PP better than it is. Take Bouwmeester off the PP and replace him with Zidlicky.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Zidlicky would be a good match with Jackman and could even make our PP better than it is. Take Bouwmeester off the PP and replace him with Zidlicky.

That's my thoughts...although I'll admit that's assuming on my part. If he's good at an outlet pass, then the pairing would be good. A few say he's not good in his own zone but he's also facing tough competition in NJ, he'd be sheltered here behind Pie and Shatty and the heavy work could be done by Jax.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
NHL GM's don't value rattie the way fans like us do because he still hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. his value is much lower than it would be if he played in the show this year and put up 20 or so goals etc..

I'm glad we haven't called him up yet because he seems to be developing very nicely and scoring goals in the AHL so why rupture that when he atleast at this point probably isn't an upgrade over the current 3rd line players we have atleast role wise...... also, the AHL let's alot more **** go than the NHL, so he has to fight through more **** to go to the net, come out of the corners with pucks, which will hopefully help him when he does get his next NHL shot to show coaches he's more than just a goal scorer.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. The NHL is a lot tougher league to dig the puck out of the corners in. Everything is slower in the AHL, with there being more time and space.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. The NHL is a lot tougher league to dig the puck out of the corners in. Everything is slower in the AHL, with there being more time and space.

What i mean, is the AHL is alot more chippy and alot of **** that's called for penalties in the NHL are fair game in the AHL.

I didn't mean it's literally a harder league to play against...i just mean that hopefully having to deal with all that extra **** will help him when he makes the jump to crack our NHL roster. obviously his strength has been his biggest weakness so far atleast according to everyone else...then again i haven't been able to watch him so i couldn't tell ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad