St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Poor ROR. Losing just follows that guy around (not saying it’s his fault).

lol

I still have hope that the blues turn things around somewhat and give us a pick in the 11-15 range.

I think I’d rather have a pick in that range this year, as I don’t see them being that awful again next year (but who knows with this team...).

But it sure would be fun (rooting for a top i k next year) if they kept their 1st this year and then struggled again next season. I’d still rather get the #11pick this year, though. I get flashbacks of that Isles pick being top 5, then them keeping it and making the playoffs next season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I feel like these watch threads need some positive energy for once, so I wanted to come by from the other draft pick watch thread and wish you guys all the best this year. I hope you get high picks.

:D

Reactions: Graves and Zemgus26

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Having 3 first round picks that could be anywhere from 1-31 in 2020 could be fun, I have little confidence in St. Louis being good this or next year. They are in a stacked division without a good goalie, or a legit franchise centre. They have a bunch of “decent” players but they don’t play with pace and are a slow team.

San Jose is always going to be good until they aren’t, the biggest thing with them is age, they can fall of a cliff at any time.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Welp...The Blues were up 2-0 at home on the Oilers and had even me convinced they would win this one.

Lost in a shootout.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The way things are going, it’s looking more likely than not that that St. Louis pick will be deferred until 2020.

Which could be good or bad. If St. Louis is able to address their major issues this off-season, it’s bad.

But if this is the start of a full rebuild in St. Louis, they might be terrible again next year - a scenario that’s really really good for us.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The way things are going, it’s looking more likely than not that that St. Louis pick will be deferred until 2020.

Which could be good or bad. If St. Louis is able to address their major issues this off-season, it’s bad.

But if this is the start of a full rebuild in St. Louis, they might be terrible again next year - a scenario that’s really really good for us.
Now’s the time to offer them their first back for Tarasenko ;)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The blues were a clown show after the 1st. Allen let them down in the end, but the loss was coming since the beginning of the 2nd.

We’re not getting that pick for 2019. That team is injured, and looks defeated. Reminds me a lot of us, last year.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
After watching the Blues, even with a new coach and goalie that team is not going far in the playoffs even if they make it. That pick will be in the top 20 at worst in 2020. Brayden Schenn overachieved and is not that great as a top center. He is more of a 2. Tarasenko has not been that amazing the last couple years either.

That STL 1st is arguably going to be the most valuable asset in that entire trade.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
After watching the Blues, even with a new coach and goalie that team is not going far in the playoffs even if they make it. That pick will be in the top 20 at worst in 2020. Brayden Schenn overachieved and is not that great as a top center. He is more of a 2. Tarasenko has not been that amazing the last couple years either.

That STL 1st is arguably going to be the most valuable asset in that entire trade.

So, after some quick looking...

Unless they find a way to trade Steen or Perron, their top 9 will consist of guys already on the roster, theyre pretty locked in. On d, they’ll likely have Dunn pietrangelo and Parayko in the top 4, will probably let bouwmeester walk, and have to resign edmundson.

the good news for the blues is that they’ll have about 23 million in cap space to fill a small number of actual roster holes. If they can convince panirin and bobrovsky to come, they can afford both, and still have a good top 4.

They are in position for a real good bounce back next year if they make the right moves.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
This Blues team is mentally weak and their locker room seems fractured. This isn't a shot at ROR, I'm not trying to re-ignite a locker room debate here... But I've felt this way since they lost Backes & Oshie. Add poor coaching, weak goaltending, and a young defense and you have their situation.

As others have said, they can easily improve coaching and and their goaltending, and their d will be a year older, but they need some leadership to evolve from within the room (or hire a coach that can fill that void). Blues fans have been questioning pietrangelo's leadership for a while now.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
As the Sabres have shown, sometimes it's extremely hard to get back to winning ways. The Blues look like a trainwreck, and granted they aren't at the Sabres level of futility, but it's not easy to get back to being a good team. Sure, they can make a couple FA moves next year and get a new goalie, but sheesh, this team looks like complete garbage right now.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think they'll be a lot better if they can get solid goaltending next year. Watching the game last night reminded me a lot of how it felt to have Lehner in net--it seemed like any big mistake by the defense would turn into an automatic goal against, and even relatively harmless opportunities could magically turn into grade-A chances due to goalie miscues.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I doubt they try to rebuild without a 1st round pick in next year's draft. My guess? They try to shore up the goaltending this offseason, and make one more run for it to see if this team can contend.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think they'll be a lot better if they can get solid goaltending next year. Watching the game last night reminded me a lot of how it felt to have Lehner in net--it seemed like any big mistake by the defense would turn into an automatic goal against, and even relatively harmless opportunities could magically turn into grade-A chances due to goalie miscues.

Yeah but how did you think they'd do this year after the ror trade? Most had them pegged as an easy playoff team. They're one of the worst teams in the league. The goaltending has been better lately but it hasn't helped.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah but how did you think they'd do this year after the ror trade? Most had them pegged as an easy playoff team. They're one of the worst teams in the league. The goaltending has been better lately but it hasn't helped.

Most people probably assumed that their goaltending wouldn’t dive off a cliff. Adding O’Reilly was just part of their moves. They also brought in Perron, Maroon and Bozak.

They also have Pietrangelo and Schwartz hurt again. Not to mention Tarasenko is having a slow start.

I shudder to think what you thought of the goaltending before, because their last 6 games the tendies have given up 3 in shootout loss to Edmonton, not bad, gave up 6 to the Coyotes oof, 2 against Colorado and they won so it did matter in that one woo, gave up 4 to Detroit boo, gave up 8 to Winnipeg, and gave up 2 to Nashville and they won.

They have plenty of skating talent to rebound next year, particularly if they luck into a high pick in the lottery.

The real question is, will they do better than have two goalies with sub .900 save percentages or over 3.00 gaa.

Random side note, Jake Allen has supposed to be a young star on the rise forever and I look at him today and realize dude is 28!

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If it's ROR for Lafreniere I change my mind about this trade

Getting Lafrienere would be like the Oilers getting McDavid. They’d immediately change the lottery to no repeat winners within a certain number of years.

But we’d get arguably the best player of the next two drafts, so f*** yeah!

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I rather hope they have a second half surge I dont expect them to be as bad next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad