St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Yeah, at least once. July 1st 2008, Vancouver signed David Backes to an offer sheet which was matched...7 days later the Blues retaliated with an offer sheet on Steve Bernier which was also matched.

I'm still waiting for the Edmonton-Vanek retaliation.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They blew a lead to Florida at home but scored late to seal it.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I totally forgot that the Blues signed Jordan Nolan. Did Armstrong really watch the Sabres last season and think that Chad Johnson and Nolan would be good pickups for his team?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Blues lost 2-7. While it’s hard to look at their roster and expect them to be this bad next season as well they definately have more troubles than goaltending. And once you start to suck...

Deleted member 27798

So if the Blues miss the playoffs and post lottery end up 11-16 we get their pick this year?

If so, I think that is a possibility. They are only 5 or so points away from 11th. They have too much talent to continue at the horrible pace they have been at for 30 games.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I don’t put much weight in these things. An issue not controlled for are schedule imbalance and team injuries.

Also historically how teams close matters more. You can start out slow and get hot and make the playoffs vs you start out hot then falter.

On avg the final playoff spot is around 94 pts vs ,500 record of 82 pts.

You go 62 over 62 games and 32 over20 or 2 10games streaks of 8-2 or 4 4-1 streaks over 4 games.

St. Louis has a good around something like 4-5-1 per 10 games. 11.5 pace puts you around the playoff line. They need to avg around 13 pts per 10 games to be in the playoffs.

Reactions: Eichel9

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I don’t put much weight in these things. An issue not controlled for are schedule imbalance and team injuries.

Also historically how teams close matters more. You can start out slow and get hot and make the playoffs vs you start out hot then falter.

On avg the final playoff spot is around 94 pts vs ,500 record of 82 pts.

You go 62 over 62 games and 32 over20 or 2 10games streaks of 8-2 or 4 4-1 streaks over 4 games.

St. Louis has a good around something like 4-5-1 per 10 games. 11.5 pace puts you around the playoff line. They need to avg around 13 pts per 10 games to be in the playoffs.

He's mostly going by historical data. Anything can happen, of course, but historically, things are pretty clear by now.

You still have to keep putting up the wins. A look at the rest of this month I like our chances to go 4 - 2 or better. And then onto January.

You don't make the playoffs by December but as we know around here you can definitely miss them by then.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He's mostly going by historical data. Anything can happen, of course, but historically, things are pretty clear by now.

You still have to keep putting up the wins. A look at the rest of this month I like our chances to go 4 - 2 or better. And then onto January.

You don't make the playoffs by December but as we know around here you can definitely miss them by then.

December is long enough to know if you can compete with everyone. Anything is possible, but they finally have the talent to compete. As long as Jack and a couple Rasmi stay healthy.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
As 2018 comes to a close: Sharks sit comfortably in the playoff picture, so it looks like their 2019 1st is very likely headed to the Sabres, so continue to root for them to be a "playoff team that did not win their division and did not make the conference final" for a better draft pick; while the Blues sit comfortably in the lottery barring a substantial win streak, meaning the returning conditional 1st is likely deferred until 2020.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
As 2018 comes to a close: Sharks sit comfortably in the playoff picture, so it looks like their 2019 1st is very likely headed to the Sabres, so continue to root for them to be a "playoff team that did not win their division and did not make the conference final" for a better draft pick; while the Blues sit comfortably in the lottery barring a substantial win streak, meaning the returning conditional 1st is likely deferred until 2020.

This is fine. What will be bad, in my opinion, is if we trade these picks to compete this year. We are a bubble team and this would be a waste. It's a such a great opportunity to build depth, praying Pagula isn't pressuring Botts to compete this year,

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This is fine. What will be bad, in my opinion, is if we trade these picks to compete this year. We are a bubble team and this would be a waste. It's a such a great opportunity to build depth, praying Pagula isn't pressuring Botts to compete this year,

I highly doubt it. I sway toward the "build for the future" side of the fence, and Botterill worries me that he's way past that side and over into the neighbor's yard. I think Botterill and the Pegulas sat down and realized they had to play the long game, collect picks, rebuild Rochester, draft and develop players better. If January goes the same way as December, there is no "competing now", but at least the draft will have a real chance of gaining an impact player (with help from StL maybe).

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't really understand this Berglund situation but something tells me the Sabres could make a case for retaining the Blues number one pick ( even if top ten protected ). I don't think your doing your due diligence if you are not meeting with lawyers at this stage. If anyone has any ideas about this please respond.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
There are no protections for a deferred pick? If a deferred St. Louis pick becomes unprotected in 2020, potentially a lottery pick, then it is absolutely inexcusable to trade it unless it's an offer you cannot refuse or a top 5 talent. St. Louis not trending upward with its core.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't really understand this Berglund situation but something tells me the Sabres could make a case for retaining the Blues number one pick ( even if top ten protected ). I don't think your doing your due diligence if you are not meeting with lawyers at this stage. If anyone has any ideas about this please respond.

There is no way that lawyers get the Sabres anything when NHL Central Registry ok’d the trade knowing Berglund’s contract status.

It is water under the bridge and at this point, the Sabres are probably happy to have the cap space now and into the future.

Reactions: Eichel9

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There are no protections for a deferred pick? If a deferred St. Louis pick becomes unprotected in 2020, potentially a lottery pick, then it is absolutely inexcusable to trade it unless it's an offer you cannot refuse or a top 5 talent. St. Louis not trending upward with its core.
Correct, no protection next year.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
St Louis with the win.

They’re looking good to climb out of the bottom 10 actually

Imagine getting 3 picks between 11 and 20

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
St Louis with the win.

They’re looking good to climb out of the bottom 10 actually

Imagine getting 3 picks between 11 and 20

Yes, it’s definitely not hard to pick out 10 teams they could finish ahead of at this point.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad