Rumor: St Louis and Columbus Discuss Hartnell.(e4)

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I agree that this is a good time to trade Hartnell. Play-off teams are not going to care less about Hartnell's long term value, only his value to help them win the Cup this season.

In that regard, and with Hartnell's play-off experience and proven play, he could bring back better then expected value to us.

Will probably be a team with some cap space, though.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree that this is a good time to trade Hartnell. Play-off teams are not going to care less about Hartnell's long term value, only his value to help them win the Cup this season.

In that regard, and with Hartnell's play-off experience and proven play, he could bring back better then expected value to us.

Will probably be a team with some cap space, though.

I'm already bracing for the

"Jarmo is terrible fire him!" comments after the inevitable trade because we could only get a 2nd and a mid tier prospect for him. When in reality we never could have gotten that from RJ.

If I recall correctly most didnt even think RJ was tradable. And some how we got an aging 60 pt winger for him. So in my book just about anything that could be useful in anyway for the future of the club is a + in my book. Even if its only fodder to be used at the draft.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

"Jarmo is terrible fire him!" comments after the inevitable trade because we could only get a 2nd and a mid tier prospect for him. When in reality we never could have gotten that from RJ.

If I recall correctly most didnt even think RJ was tradable. And some how we got an aging 60 pt winger for him. So in my book just about anything that could be useful in anyway for the future of the club is a + in my book. Even if its only fodder to be used at the draft.

Yep, and a lot of mid tier prospects turn into good NHL players down the road.

I just don't want to see a salary swap.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Would you do Hartnell for Drouin if it were on the table?

You'll probably ge tthe 15 or so people who voted yes to should the Jackets trade for Drouin. Wouldn't expect a lot from the 40 some that voted no.

Free up the cap space and add a talented cost controlled guy with major upside? Why not? Rhetorical question no need to tell me about his attitude and petulant behavior.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You'll probably ge tthe 15 or so people who voted yes to should the Jackets trade for Drouin. Wouldn't expect a lot from the 40 some that voted no.

Free up the cap space and add a talented cost controlled guy with major upside? Why not? Rhetorical question no need to tell me about his attitude and petulant behavior.

As much as I am against trading for Drouin, I agree with this.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Given that a very large percentage of the folks who voted no did so because of worries about probable overpayment, this strikes me as overly cynical.

Hartnell for Drouin straight up? Hell Yes. I would be truly shocked if Tampa went for that, tho (if for no other reason than they don't have the cap space to make it happen :) ).

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Jarmo IS terrible, and please fire him, but...

It seems like such a foregone conclusion around here that Hartnell will get traded. In my opinion, if that is all we can get out of him (a 2nd and a mid-tier prospect), I think we should hold on to him for a little longer. I think we're getting real value out of that guy, and if that's the return we're looking at, there's another trade deadline next year. Keep him around and see what kind of noise this team makes next season. If we're jostling for playoff position, things may look different regarding Hartnell.

I understand the desire to get more out of Umberger than he is/was worth, and really exploiting the superiority of that trade- but let's not get greedy. I also understand the urge to go with youth and let Dubi and Nick and JJ move into the veteran role. But I think Hartsy's contributions to the team and its development is getting short shrift here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jarmo IS terrible, and please fire him, but...

It seems like such a foregone conclusion around here that Hartnell will get traded. In my opinion, if that is all we can get out of him (a 2nd and a mid-tier prospect), I think we should hold on to him for a little longer. I think we're getting real value out of that guy, and if that's the return we're looking at, there's another trade deadline next year. Keep him around and see what kind of noise this team makes next season. If we're jostling for playoff position, things may look different regarding Hartnell.

I understand the desire to get more out of Umberger than he is/was worth, and really exploiting the superiority of that trade- but let's not get greedy. I also understand the urge to go with youth and let Dubi and Nick and JJ move into the veteran role. But I think Hartsy's contributions to the team and its development is getting short shrift here.

It is not about Hartsy- its about the cap. :deadhorse :laugh:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Definitely would do the Hartnell for Drouin swap that was mentioned above. Helps clear long term cap space, and if Drouin reaches his potential, he would be entering his prime years right when the Jackets should realistically begin contending (2017-18 and beyond).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Rychel-Wennberg-Drouin
Bjorkstrand-Jones

How's that for a powerplay?! :naughty:

2013 would end up being a historical draft for the Jackets if these players can reach their potentials or even everyday NHL players. Even though they all weren't drafted by the CBJ.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Rychel-Wennberg-Drouin
Bjorkstrand-Jones

How's that for a powerplay?! :naughty:

2013 would end up being a historical draft for the Jackets if these players can reach their potentials or even everyday NHL players. Even though they all weren't drafted by the CBJ.

I'm told my great grandfather used to say "If a toad had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin'."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad