Rumor: St Louis and Columbus Discuss Hartnell.(e4)

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Comes from Hockeybuzz so who knows. But at the very least it looks like we are shopping Hartnell in prep for a deadline deal. Also if the pick and prospect is accurate it would signal permanent space being made for Rychel.

"Sources at the NHL and a GM not related to either team have informed me that the Blues and Blue Jackets have discussed a deal which could bring Scotty Hartnell to St Louis. This would not be a deal that would send a major player back to Columbus, just a pick and a prospect...but there is a lot to this I am told..

I do know for fact the Blues and Hitchcock have always liked Hartnell and were scouting him in Philly for a possible deal prior to him being moved to Columbus for RJ Umberger......yep..."

Perhaps we could be looking at Fabbri?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
*See's its hockeybuzz*
*clicks away*

But seriously. Hartnell is likely done here at the deadline. Porty reported he was initially in the Nashville deal so maybe they come back around for him

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Guy takes too many bad penalties, but he has been a good player for the most part. Sad to see him go, but not his contract.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
There once were St. Louis, Columbus and Hartnell who had drifted on a desert island. A wizard came to them and said he will grant them one wish. St. Louis wished to go back home, as did Hartnell. Their wishes were granted. Columbus started feeling lonely without St. Louis and Hartnell so he wished they would come back.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Because we know an aging Hartnell is a part of this core moving forward....

You know the FO knows there are issues with this team and it extended beyond just Johansen in their minds. We're still displaying some very distributing tendencies. We also have some other cap concerns.

It makes sense that Hartnell would be moved before his contract is up and his value isn't going to get any higher. It might get easier to move him closer to the end of his contract, but you won't get more for him until maybe the last year (or last year dead line) if he's still producing.

The team has more concerns than just some lost offense from Hartnell. The concerns over his lost production are short sighted.

If we were closer to making a run in the playoffs anytime soon I say keep him. We're not. Free up the cap space, get your core signed, and see what the draft and the FA period brings.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
The clearing cap space thing wouldn't bother me so much if we didn't have that boat anchor Clarkson around. This time of year the rich get richer and the feeder teams like the Jackets just wash, rinse and repeat

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
If we were closer to making a run in the playoffs anytime soon I say keep him. We're not. Free up the cap space, get your core signed, and see what the draft and the FA period brings.

This sums it up perfectly. Hate to see Hartnell go, but it is time to move him. If he goes to the Blues, he will get more opportunity to knock the crap out of Joey in the central. :naughty:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Comes from Hockeybuzz so who knows. But at the very least it looks like we are shopping Hartnell in prep for a deadline deal. Also if the pick and prospect is accurate it would signal permanent space being made for Rychel.

"Sources at the NHL and a GM not related to either team have informed me that the Blues and Blue Jackets have discussed a deal which could bring Scotty Hartnell to St Louis. This would not be a deal that would send a major player back to Columbus, just a pick and a prospect...but there is a lot to this I am told..

I do know for fact the Blues and Hitchcock have always liked Hartnell and were scouting him in Philly for a possible deal prior to him being moved to Columbus for RJ Umberger......yep..."

Perhaps we could be looking at Fabbri?

I think St. Louis would be a really good fit for Hartnell. I'd love to get a good pick and/or prospect for him. That would open up a spot for Rychel and help us out with our cap situation.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The clearing cap space thing wouldn't bother me so much if we didn't have that boat anchor Clarkson around. This time of year the rich get richer and the feeder teams like the Jackets just wash, rinse and repeat

We all have to get over the Clarkson situation. He is here-no one likes it but it is what it is.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Boy, won't this offense be special once Hartnell's gone. Scouts like to tinker with new shiny things over old established ones. Out with the old, in with the new!

The offense which has averaged 2.25 goals per game since Johansen was run out of town, will get even more anemic once #43 moves on to greener pastures.

But, gosh, all the prospects!! When Wennberg, Rychel, Karlsson, Anderson, Milano and Zaar all get up to speed, the CBJ will be awesome. And so it goes............

I hate his stupid penalties, but I still love the guy. That said, Hartnell's value is never going to be higher. Buy low and sell high.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Because we know an aging Hartnell is a part of this core moving forward....

You know the FO knows there are issues with this team and it extended beyond just Johansen in their minds. We're still displaying some very distributing tendencies. We also have some other cap concerns.

It makes sense that Hartnell would be moved before his contract is up and his value isn't going to get any higher. It might get easier to move him closer to the end of his contract, but you won't get more for him until maybe the last year (or last year dead line) if he's still producing.

The team has more concerns than just some lost offense from Hartnell. The concerns over his lost production are short sighted.

Agree 100%. This team is all about the future. The present ain't happening. Clear the cap space add some more youth and
finally develop a team the right way.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
A 1st and the best prospect we can get is probably what it will take.

Then probably Tyutin with a contract and a prospect coming back will probably be the big stuff.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Another thing that makes sense is to acquire assets you can trade away at the Draft. Maybe move up to get that #1 pick? (already assuming we'll lose the lottery)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Another thing that makes sense is to acquire assets you can trade away at the Draft. Maybe move up to get that #1 pick? (already assuming we'll lose the lottery)

I think us winning the draft lottery would be considered less rare than someone trading up to the #1 pick.

Exaggeration? Sure. But it's extremely rare yet fantasied about often.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I think us winning the draft lottery would be considered less rare than someone trading up to the #1 pick.

Exaggeration? Sure. But it's extremely rare yet fantasied about often.

Agreed. The only way we have a shot at trading for the #1 is if Edmonton wins again. That being said. Lets assume we manage to do the same thing we have the last few years and screw our draft position. We lose all three lottery draws, and end up with the sixth pick. Additional assets either allow us to move up for Laine/Puljujärvi, trade for a young high-ceiling center, or grab McLeod and some additional forward prospects. Bottom line, more assets at the draft is never a bad thing as it gives you flexibility.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Agreed. The only way we have a shot at trading for the #1 is if Edmonton wins again. That being said. Lets assume we manage to do the same thing we have the last few years and screw our draft position. We lose all three lottery draws, and end up with the sixth pick. Additional assets either allow us to move up for Laine/Puljujärvi, trade for a young high-ceiling center, or grab McLeod and some additional forward prospects. Bottom line, more assets at the draft is never a bad thing as it gives you flexibility.

No we dont.

Mcdavid-Matthews would be just as good if not better than Crosby-Malkin. Edmonton is not trading away a first if they win the lottery in any fashion. They'll make a serious package around RNH for a top defenseman in the offseason after the draft.

The hockey gods have ****ed us enough, cant they just be merciful just once?! It doesnt need to be Matthews, I just want to see our logo on one of those three lottery placards turned over during the drawing.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
No we dont.

Mcdavid-Matthews would be just as good if not better than Crosby-Malkin. Edmonton is not trading away a first if they win the lottery in any fashion. They'll make a serious package around RNH for a top defenseman in the offseason after the draft.

The hockey gods have ****ed us enough, cant they just be merciful just once?! It doesnt need to be Matthews, I just want to see our logo on one of those three lottery placards turned over during the drawing.

Probably true, though maybe we could push Edmonton for Draisaital using out pick. Though there is no way we will ever win a lottery, just remove the possibility from your head like the rest of the Jackets fans have :sarcasm::cry:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Probably true, though maybe we could push Edmonton for Draisaital using out pick. Though there is no way we will ever win a lottery, just remove the possibility from your head like the rest of the Jackets fans have :sarcasm::cry:

They would likely want one of Jones/Murray/Werenski

If they get Matthews it just wont be fair. Drai or RNH at 3C

:cry: :cry: :cry:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
This definitely has the feel of the Johansen scenario. Healthy scratches, enough rumors/chatter that Hartnell eventually gets dealt. He's not in the long-term plans, despite the fact that he's on pace for another 55+ point season with Columbus. A 2nd + a prospect...I'd probably due that. I don't really care if he stays or goes.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
They would likely want one of Jones/Murray/Werenski

If they get Matthews it just wont be fair. Drai or RNH at 3C

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I was thinking our first for Drai, but I could see Murray/Werenski for Drai+, and then use our pick to grab Laine. It's not the best scenario, but it does balance the team pretty well.

Saad-Wennberg-Atkinson (may be traded if we get Laine)
Jenner-Drai-Laine
Rychel-Dubi-Foligno/Bjorkstrand?

Murray/Werenski-Jones
???-Johnson

Actually this does raise an interesting question of who likely goes if we draft a wing. Even after a hartnell trade we are deep at wing. With who we already have on the roster and who is coming adding a wing (particularly a right wing) really might induce another trade, be that Atkinson or prospects.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was thinking our first for Drai, but I could see Murray/Werenski for Drai+, and then use our pick to grab Laine. It's not the best scenario, but it does balance the team pretty well.

Saad-Wennberg-Atkinson (may be traded if we get Laine)
Jenner-Drai-Laine
Rychel-Dubi-Foligno/Bjorkstrand?

Murray/Werenski-Jones
???-Johnson

Actually this does raise an interesting question of who likely goes if we draft a wing. Even after a hartnell trade we are deep at wing. With who we already have on the roster and who is coming adding a wing (particularly a right wing) really might induce another trade, be that Atkinson or prospects.

If we draft a wing that is NHL ready as Laine/Pulju are rumored to be I don't see a problem at wing. If we don't draft such a wing I see us being one short of a top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad