Waived: StÃ¥lberg Waived (Cleared)

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Deserves it's own thread IMO.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=744632&navid=DL|NSH|home

After missing six weeks of action due to a knee injury, Stalberg is prepared to return to action. With the NHL roster freeze going into effect on Friday at 11:59 p.m. CT and lasting until 12:01 a.m. CT on Dec. 28, and the team being at the 23-player roster maximum, the move was necessary before the team heads out for its final three games before the holiday break.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
cann't say it surprises me, but amazing how far this guy has fallen and so quickly

I think this is a result of Jarnkrok and Beck playing well enough to not deserve to be sent down.

Its really a no risk move for Poile... if he's claimed, so be it, we shed a bad contract(I see zero chance of this though).

If he's not, he can stay in Milwaukee until he's needed and maybe try to find his game. When he's fully healthy I cant imagine he's any less useless than Jokinen.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I think this is a result of Jarnkrok and Beck playing well enough to not deserve to be sent down.

Its really a no risk move for Poile... if he's claimed, so be it, we shed a bad contract(I see zero chance of this though).

If he's not, he can stay in Milwaukee until he's needed and maybe try to find his game. When he's fully healthy I cant imagine he's any less useless than Jokinen.

Exactly- having said that, I may be in the minority, but I would still like to see what a completely healthy Stalberg could do on the 3rd (or even 4th) line- I still think he can help us there........

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
cann't say it surprises me, but amazing how far this guy has fallen and so quickly

I don't think he has even risen. It was a poor miscalculation from day 1. There are aspects of his game I like, but he just never seemed to find a role.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Exactly- having said that, I may be in the minority, but I would still like to see what a completely healthy Stalberg could do on the 3rd (or even 4th) line- I still think he can help us there........

I agree. I still want Stålberg to succeed here, but he gets injured at the worst times. If he doesn't get claimed then he'll have a good chance to work on his game in MIL and earn a call up.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Canes fan here. Always loved the way Stalberg played, he could just never put a full year together. He has all the tools to be a top 9 everyday player IMO. Some team could use a guy like him.....I think Nashville would have to eat a contract to get rid of him though.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Yeah, I agree. Zero risk to this move.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know I'm preaching to the choir but I was really hoping he would break out this season in Lavy's system, which in time is still conceivable if he ends up back in Milwaukee.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
The risk is that we will now be paying a player $3 million to play in Milwaukee. If he plays well and we want to call him up, we might end up paying him $1.5 million to play for someone else. I don't see that we had much choice though, unless we wanted to put Beck on IR or waive Jokinen or Roy. I guess that it is nice to see that money isn't factoring into the team's decisions.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
The risk is that we will now be paying a player $3 million to play in Milwaukee. If he plays well and we want to call him up, we might end up paying him $1.5 million to play for someone else. I don't see that we had much choice though, unless we wanted to put Beck on IR or waive Jokinen or Roy. I guess that it is nice to see that money isn't factoring into the team's decisions.

I believe the 2013 CBA eliminated re-entry waivers. If a team picks him up then they are on the hook for his entire salary.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Would have preferred this. But hopefully he finds his way in Milwaukee or someone picks him up and he finds his way. Stalberg was just plagued with injuries here.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
I believe the 2013 CBA eliminated re-entry waivers. If a team picks him up then they are on the hook for his entire salary.

Well that would certainly change things. There isn't much chance of someone claiming him at full value. Hopefully, he can get his game back together in Milwaukee. I actually thought that he looked pretty good (minus the penalties) in the few games that he played for us this year.

hoosierpred

Apr 4, 2008

I would like to eventually try him on a line with Roy to have a speed oriented line.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I agree - he looked decent for a bottom 6 wing. and with our 3rd line woes, it'd be nice to see a healthy and rust-free VS get one last chance to contribute. I think we know he's never gonna' be the top 6 Poile was speculating on, but if he could get any kinda' finish to his game, with his speed, he could at least chip in 10, which I know doesn't sound like much but which of our 3rds in on a pace for more than that anyway?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Just don't see the point. He can't finish, and he's not much of a passer either. The speed is great, in theory, but there's no payoff to it.

And there is payoff with Jokinen? That hasn't worked out all season.

luckofirish8

Jan 18, 2012
Nashville, TN
And there is payoff with Jokinen? That hasn't worked out all season.

not from an offensive stand point, but Jokinen is doing a few things to help this team win. He has good positional sense and has been pretty solid on the PK recently.

I agree Jokinen could and should be more of a factor offensively, but what has Stalberg done besides get injured?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad