GDT: SSSSSSSSMOKIN'! Your New Jersey Devils vs. Detroit Red Wings, 1 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
And yet he is actually off to a better start than lasts season somehow.

He was a big part of the loss today

the turning point was late in the 2nd, a dumb decision led to Det's 1st goal.

We would have been up 2 heading into the 3rd.

He's trying to do too much instead of making the simple pass of late

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
He was a big part of the loss today

the turning point was late in the 2nd, a dumb decision led to Det's 1st goal.

We would have been up 2 heading into the 3rd.

He's trying to do too much instead of making the simple pass of late

I don't fault him for trying to do to much though, he probably doesn't trust most guys on the team after last year where he had to literally carry the boys every game. Just like the Pens game the other night. Most games if Hall doesn't get a point or get going, this team loses.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Hall has not yet had that extra pep in his step this season that we've previously seen from him since he has been here.

His ability to dial it up a notch with his speed and break away from the play, beating and blowing by guys has been nonexistent. He has more so been skating with the play than skating by it as he had.

Hopefully its not injury or something else related but it is very noticeable now nearly 1/4 way through the season.

Hall is trying to do too much. He's also cheating in the defensive zone

hall could have buried this game but he flubbed a shot wide open in front of the net. loss is on him.

The puck was on end

I'd blame Damon too, except it seems the whole team seems to play odd man rushes that way.

He needs to play the pass exclusively. He's trying to play both which means he's not playing either

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't fault him for trying to do to much though, he probably doesn't trust most guys on the team after last year where he had to literally carry the boys every game. Just like the Pens game the other night. Most games if Hall doesn't get a point or get going, this team loses.

I generally don't, but today he was a turnover machine and at that time in the game, cut out the hero bullshit and dump the puck in the zone

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He needs to play the pass exclusively. He's trying to play both which means he's not playing either

Ya, it's fairly simple. Your choices are:

1. Play the pass so the puck carrier has a semi-breakaway but only has half the ice to work with.
2. Play the puck carrier and have him probably pass to the open man for a breakaway.
3. Play in no-man's land so the puck carrier can shoot AND he can pass across for a shot at the open net.

I think our positioning is too close to the puck carrier, leaving us in situation 3. It makes it way too easy (and tempting) to pass across. I understand wanting to close off the amount of ice he has to work with, but really, you CAN NOT LET THE PASS GET THROUGH.

I'll admit, I haven't seen the replay yet, so I'm going by the image of the play burned into my brain. I'll give the shooter credit for making an initial cross-ice fake that got Severson to react (although it should have been an indication to him that he was in a bad spot). The right wing may have gone pretty wide also. I'll have to watch the replay later. All I know is I was SCREAMING at Severson to shift over and take the off-wing tighter, and saw the goal coming a mile away.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I live in Bergen County and have a backyard full of all kinds of birds, Hawks, Woodpeckers etc, but never ever seen that bird, that is a freak event

I live in the country and even I've never seen one before. They must be pretty reclusive, which makes it even stranger to my mind.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Nope. Had one job to do as a defenseman.

It would be so easy to love sevs and his game if these wonderful 23 minutes didn't include the mandatory one minute with costly bonehead error.

Truth be told, Severson has had a horseshoe up his azz this season, he makes plenty of terrible defensive mistakes, but few have ended up in the net. That luck will run out (like today).

An example of a horrible mistake that didnt cost him? First shift of 3rd period, Severson lets his man get 20 to 25 foot behind him because he's lingering in offensive zone (as per usual). By the grace of god the Detroit defensemen didnt notice this & passes up ice to RW, rather than cross ice (behind Severson) to LW for a surefire 1 x 0 breakaway on Kinkaid.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Truth be told, Severson has had a horseshoe up his azz this season, he makes plenty of terrible defensive mistakes, but few have ended up in the net. That luck will run out (like today).

An example of a horrible mistake that didnt cost them? First shift of the 3rd period, Severson lets his man get 20 to 25 foot behind him because he's lingering in the offensive zone (as per usual). By the grace of god the Detroit defensemen didnt notice this and passes up ice to RW, rather than cross ice (behind Severson) for a surefire 1 x 0 breakaway on Kinkaid.

You are reaching Cult of Hynes/Bleedred levels of ranting on Sevo

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You are reaching Cult of Hynes/Bleedred levels of ranting on Sevo

If by, "ranting", you mean properly & correctly analyzing defensive hockey positioning & tactics, then yes, that's true.

There is no Devils defensemen more out-of-position, more often, than Damon Severson, and 2nd place isnt in the rear view mirror. We're talking really BASIC crap. Stuff kids learning defense in rec league hockey understand.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Yay! Sounds like we won, then right?

It would be so easy to love sevs and his game if these wonderful 23 minutes didn't include the mandatory one minute with costly bonehead error.
Maybe if it wasn't 2 on 1 it wouldnt have gotten that far

Do you blame your son for dropping the candy jar that his sister got down for him from the top shelf?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If by, "ranting", you mean properly & correctly analyzing defensive hockey positioning & tactics, then yes, that's true.

There is no Devils defensemen more out-of-position, more often, than Damon Severson, and 2nd place isnt in the rear view mirror. We're talking really BASIC crap. Stuff kids learning defense in rec league hockey understand.
Butcher doesnt hold a candle defensively to Severson - Hynes system is the reason Severson forces himself out of position, because he lacks a structured system and then makes stupid mistakes when forced to adapt

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Butcher has been special levels of awful this season. If he isn't perfect defensively he is screwed because of his exceptional slowness.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yay! Sounds like we won, then right?

As well as completely failing on the GW OT goal.

3:00 Mueller plays a 2-on-1 just as atrociously as Sevs, doesn't even take away the pass or the shot but since that shot was earlier in the game and hit the post it doesn't get discussed
3:40 Yakovlev might actually come closest to playing a 2-on-1 correctly, the shooter was at an angle so he gave up the shot...would have liked him to protect the front of the net though
6:00 The too many men on the ice for those who were wondering
7:20 Lovejoy commits way too early to the off man and gives Larkin a wide-open snipe, albeit somewhat from an angle but the idea of these plays should be to bait, then stop the pass not to actively encourage the shot by giving the shooter more open space in front.
8:20 Severson does the same thing Mueller did earlier in the game, caught in no-man's land

Kind of hurts the meme of BRAH Severson when more than one guy plays a 2-on-1 questionably at best though.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Maybe if it wasn't 2 on 1 it wouldnt have gotten that far

Do you blame your son for dropping the candy jar that his sister got down for him
from the top shelf?

You're completely missing the point. Nobody is blaming Severson FOR the 2 on 1.

What Billington's Ghost is pointing out, is that Severson played it completely wrong, like the fat kid learning to skate who's picked last in pond hockey.

Again, this is a SIMPLE play. You TAKE AWAY the 2nd man & allow goalie to key on shooter. PERIOD. There is absolutely no debate here. It's the hockey defense equivalent of 2+2 = 4.

Butcher doesnt hold a candle defensively to Severson

Nobody said that. Butcher is easily the worst defensively of the Devils defensemen. BUT, he's not "out of position" more than Severson.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You're completely missing the point. Nobody is blaming Severson FOR the 2 on 1.

What Billington's Ghost is pointing out, is that Severson played it completely wrong, like the fat kid learning to skate who's picked last in pond hockey.

Again, this is a SIMPLE play. You TAKE AWAY the 2nd man & allow goalie to key on shooter. PERIOD. There is absolutely no debate here. It's the hockey defense equivalent of 2+2 = 4.

Nobody said that. Butcher is easily the worst defensively of the Devils defensemen. BUT, he's not "out of position" more than Severson.
No no that isnt how it work lol. Obviously nobody blames him FOR it. But to blame him on how he played it when it was a bad situation he had to adapt to - is not okay

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

Camille the Eel

I generally don't, but today he was a turnover machine and at that time in the game, cut out the hero bull**** and dump the puck in the zone
Hall is often prone to the dangerous turnover around the other teams blue line. Not just this year. Or this game. He’ll commonly try to make a fancy play laterally. Will do it even strength and also when on the point of the power play.

But he’s so creative I can’t complain about it. I figure you have to take the occasional defect of his great qualities.

But really why was he lined up for that last faceoff in a position where, if they get a certain draw, they are off on a 2 on 1 ? Because that was the story of that goal. We lined up 1 on 2 ! All they had to do was skate straight in front of themselves once they won the draw. Hall was also gassed.

But really, don’t forget we played a good competitive game. A whole different beast than a week ago. So let’s not overly focus on one lousy play in OT. (As to Severson either).

Reactions: VaxjoDevil

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
3:00 Mueller plays a 2-on-1 atrociously, doesn't even take away the pass or the shot

Mueller is taking away the pass option perfectly here, no idea what you're talking about. Shooter gives up on pass & shoots on Kinkaid, as expected.

Muellerlllllll.gif

7:20 Lovejoy commits way too early to the shot and gives Larkin a wide-open snipe, albeit somewhat from an angle but the idea of these plays should be to stop the pass not to actively encourage the shot.

Lovejoyyyy.gif

And even worst take than the Mueller take. Lovejoy plays this perfectly. Not only does he remove passing option, he maintains body & ties-up his man. Puck carrier left with no option but to shoot. And from off-angle & 20+ feet out to boot. Job very well-done by Lovejoy. As for the bolded bit above, LOL.....WHAT?!?!?!?!

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He didn't shoot on Kinkaid he deked then passed it through both Mueller and Kinkaid to Daley who clinked it off the post.

Mueller is taking away the pass option perfectly here, no idea what you're talking about. Shooter gives up on pass & shoots on Kinkaid, as expected.

Muellerlllllll.gif

Lovejoyyyy.gif

And even worst take than the Mueller take. Lovejoy plays this perfectly. Not only does he remove passing option, he maintains body and ties up his man. Puck carrier left with no option but to shoot. Job well-done by Lovejoy. As for the bolded bit above, WHAT?!?!?!?!

You bait the pass then stop the pass or let them have a bad-angle shot, you don't leave a red carpet in front of the net for the shooter to get an extra second or two to do whatever he wants. Their 'defense' is basically just turn a 2-on-1 into a 1-on-0 by having the d-man cancel out the guy without the puck. You ideally stay in between the puckcarrier and the off guy and try to block the pass while still keeping the shooter from the front of the net.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad