GDT: SSSSSSSSMOKIN'! Your New Jersey Devils vs. Detroit Red Wings, 1 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Agreed, and also why is Hall lined up along the boards instead of in the middle? That set up was begging for a 2on1 against.

Because we are poorly coached. And I really like Hynes. But we make way too many basic hockey mistakes.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Check out Lovejoy's 2-on-1 from the third period, that wasn't pretty either. He just completely peeled off the shooter leaving him wide open. There were at least one or two other two-on-ones where the defenseman played it similarly to Severson, not protecting against the pass. That's not a Severson problem, that's a coaching problem when literally every defenseman on the roster is playing the same situation incorrectly either by staying in no-man's land or letting the shooter go to the net wide open.

I can only speak of the sequence I posted, but yes, it's a Severson problem (you can post the Lovejoy one & we can discuss that too).

Every coach Damon Severson has had since he was 11 years old has told him how to play a 2 on 1, because quite simply, THERE'S LITERALLY ONLY ONE WAY TO PLAY IT - PERIOD.

It doesnt matter if you're in squirts, mites, bantam, high school, junior hockey, NCAA, AHL, KHL, some lame Swiss pro league, or the NHL, there is literally only one way to play that as a defenseman. You take away the pass and let the goalie have the shooter. The goalie is counting on this. Everyone knows this. Except Damon Severson.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Very low IQ team

And when you're outmatched in talent on most nights you need to play smart hockey.

Yup. I think Bratt is the most talented, highest hockey IQ player on the team. I like Bratt a lot, but when a guy like him is your most talented player, thats a problem.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Missed out because I’m moving into our new home.

Sucks to give up a point but if you net 3 out of 4 this weekend, I’ll consider that success.

Glad Zacha got that monkey off his back finally.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Every time I go to a game with my girls the Devils score a bunch of goals while my one daughter is asleep on my lap. Today she didn't fall asleep. I blame her for this loss.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Hall has not yet had that extra pep in his step this season that we've previously seen from him since he has been here.

His ability to dial it up a notch with his speed and break away from the play, beating and blowing by guys has been nonexistent. He has more so been skating with the play than skating by it as he had.

Hopefully its not injury or something else related but it is very noticeable now nearly 1/4 way through the season.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
hall could have buried this game but he flubbed a shot wide open in front of the net. loss is on him.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Yup. I think Bratt is the most talented, highest hockey IQ player on the team. I like Bratt a lot, but when a guy like him is your most talented player, thats a problem.
Don't we have the MVP of the entire league from last season or did I just imagine that...

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
And besides I am high on Bratt and think he's a top 6 player, however the lack of a 2nd line is going to hurt this team significantly in terms of the chances of making the playoffs. The team still has several holes including the defense.

I would not let last season fool you into thinking this team is better than it actually is, there is work to be done and the reality is this is another year for the rebuild.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd blame Damon too, except it seems the whole team seems to play odd man rushes that way.
I believe that has to be a coaching problem. We play 2 on 1s extremely passively, whereas you see a lot of other teams have a more aggressive approach. Puzzling...

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Leaving Dinosaur BBQ from dinner after the game I went to the convenience store a few doors down to get a soda for the road, and in the middle of the street was a dead American Woodcock.

amwo3.jpg

Now, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash at a dead pigeon or a dead robin, a dead house sparrow, a dead blackbird, etc.... but what the hell is a woodcock doing in downtown Newark to begin with?

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Leaving Dinosaur BBQ from dinner after the game I went to the convenience store a few doors down to get a soda for the road, and in the middle of the street was a dead American Woodcock.

amwo3.jpg

Now, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash at a dead pigeon or a dead robin, a dead house sparrow, a dead blackbird, etc.... but what the hell is a woodcock doing in downtown Newark to begin with?
I live in Bergen County and have a backyard full of all kinds of birds, Hawks, Woodpeckers etc, but never ever seen that bird, that is a freak event
they are breeding in unusual areas
“Post-industrial landscapes such as old rail yards, landfills, former industrial complexes and superfund sites have begun to replace former forest and field habitat for North American wildlife, particularly in the east,” Farley says. “Since Woodcock are an ‘indicator species’—meaning they have the same habitat requirements of other hard-to-find birds—we know that when they succeed, so do these other species.”

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
random points

Refs were terrible today, almost like they were rooting for Det

How many icings did LJ and Greene have today, and this season? They don't pass the puck well

How many times does Palms fall to the ice per game?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

amwo3.jpg

Migratory birds, but are spotted a small amount in the Northwest parts of NJ. Id imagine he was far from home, why idk because theyre ground birds and not much vegetation in Newark. Id suspect he went down mid-flight

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Hall has not yet had that extra pep in his step this season that we've previously seen from him since he has been here.

His ability to dial it up a notch with his speed and break away from the play, beating and blowing by guys has been nonexistent. He has more so been skating with the play than skating by it as he had.

Hopefully its not injury or something else related but it is very noticeable now nearly 1/4 way through the season.

And yet he is actually off to a better start than lasts season somehow.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Don't we have the MVP of the entire league from last season or did I just imagine that...

Bratt does not have the physical tools Hall does. IMO, Bratt thinks the game on a higher level than Hall, but Hall is a better athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad