GDT: SSSSSSSSMOKIN'! Your New Jersey Devils vs. Detroit Red Wings, 1 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Also consider that Wood has been on the 4th line for most of this season. His points per minute probably isn't as low as his points per game.

And not to mention, Wood is only in his third season and we still don't know what he is yet, but Johansson was a 45 point player career before he got here.
Wood was my favorite player last season...I mean besides Hall, because he just started doing things and getting better, I'm just disappointed in him so far, as well as Hall and even Nico. MarJo is just on the wrong team here..send him to a "finesse" team like the Oilers

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Because the quality chances certainly weren't lopsided. If anything it felt to me like we gave up more quality chances. We had a lot of crest-killers but it seemed like everything we gave up was a two-on-one or slot chance. Plus shots on goal don't count the two or three post shots Detroit had either. I'm not sure we got more than three quality chances the whole game - the two goals and the other Bratt/Zacha chance they nearly missed. Oh and Hall's one-time floater late in the game. So four.

The quality wasn’t there, that’s for damn sure. I felt like kinkaid had to make too many big saves as well. This game could’ve easily gotten away from them.

I mean whatever, it was a better outing compared to other recent losses but pretty disappointing to not close it out after being up by 2.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Do we even have a plan for OT? I mean... it seems like we randomly throw players out there. I feel like we should have 3 or 4 set pairs of forwards, but we just keep throwing out mishmashes of players.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
all the MarJo and Zacha bashing, how about Miles Wood....1 lame goal and its almost Thanksgiving

Exactly. For all the shit Zacha has taken, they now have the same amount of goals and Zacha has at least been EXCELLENT on the other side of the puck. What has Miles done? He's flaccid.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Do we even have a plan for OT? I mean... it seems like we randomly throw players out there. I feel like we should have 3 or 4 set pairs of forwards, but we just keep throwing out mishmashes of players.

I feel like when Nico and Vatanen are back it should be Hall-Nico-Vatanen, Zajac-Palmieri-Severson, Bratt-Zacha-Greene. If anyone gets caught out there for a long time sprinkle in Coleman or Wood. Dea, Seney, etc shouldn't be out there if it's possible.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Exactly. For all the **** Zacha has taken, they now have the same amount of goals and Zacha has at least been EXCELLENT on the other side of the puck. What has Miles done? He's flaccid.
Funny, I thought Wood had a good game today despite not getting on the score sheet. He was involved, forechecking, hitting and shooting.

Reactions: tr83 and My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I feel like when Nico and Vatanen are back it should be Hall-Nico-Vatanen, Zajac-Palmieri-Severson, Bratt-Zacha-Greene. If anyone gets caught out there for a long time sprinkle in Coleman or Wood. Dea, Seney, etc shouldn't be out there if it's possible.
Nice groupings, but whatever they are, I feel like they should be consistent, not made up on the fly. It's like we're experimenting in OT.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Funny, I thought Wood had a good game today despite not getting on the score sheet. He was involved, forechecking, hitting and shooting.

I don't disagree with today but the guy rarely gets blasted when he's often times just as invisible as Zacha. I'll admit, I'm a Zacha stan so I'm biased.

Reactions: Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Just watched on DVR. First thing, stat guy was on drugs. I did not see that huge disparity in shots. At one point it was 36 -22. How? The game certainly didn’t seem that way

Second, refs are giving it hard to NJ the last couple games. Not a single pp? On home ice no less? **** off. You’ll never see a more blatant too many men on the ice penalty but of course, no call

I liked their game better in philly. They seemed somewhat flat today. Not a bad game, but I don’t think Bernier had too tough an outing today. I don’t know, that extra gear just didn’t seem to be there.

The PP issue is on Shero to send a complaint to the league if he thinks the calls or lack thereof were too one sided. I noticed early that the refs were letting them play. That will typically favor the lesser team who can hold and grab more to compensate for slower skating. The refs didn’t help but this loss wasn’t solely their fault. From individual poor performances to poor coaching and missing the 1C and the RD1 there are numerous reasons the team failed at the end. At least they got a point and didn’t completely fall apart like in the road games. PZ scoring is hopefully the start of something and maybe Hynes puts Nico between PZ and Bratt when he returns and maybe NJ will have two lines that can create offense as long as Zajac can maintain his level of play.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The PP issue is on Shero to send a complaint to the league if he thinks the calls or lack thereof were too one sided. I noticed early that the refs were letting them play. That will typically favor the lesser team who can hold and grab more to compensate for slower skating. The refs didn’t help but this loss wasn’t solely their fault. From individual poor performances to poor coaching and missing the 1C and the RD1 there are numerous reasons the team failed at the end. At least they got a point and didn’t completely fall apart like in the road games. PZ scoring is hopefully the start of something and maybe Hynes puts Nico between PZ and Bratt when he returns and maybe NJ will have two lines that can create offense as long as Zajac can maintain his level of play.

Yeah one thing you can say is they were 'at least' lenient both ways in this case...which helps the team willing to get away with more or needing to get away with more. It just looks bad when you miss obvious calls because you abdicate your responsibility to actually ref the game.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah one thing you can say is they were 'at least' lenient both ways in this case...which helps the team willing to get away with more or needing to get away with more. It just looks bad when you miss obvious calls because you abdicate your responsibility to actually ref the game.

Agreed. But hard to know if that is on that crew or a league directive to “let them play” more

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

It's almost as if Corsi is grossy overrated.

It's almost as if sometimes the team with the best Corsi in the NHL misses the playoffs and some of the worst Corsi teams make the playoffs. Oh........ wait......

Reactions: I Hate Tie DOMI

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Agreed. But hard to know if that is on that crew or a league directive to “let them play” more

Probably crew cause we certainly don't see that every game.

It's almost as if Corsi is grossy overrated.

It's almost as if sometimes the team with the best Corsi in the NHL misses the playoffs and some of the worst Corsi teams make the playoffs. Oh........ wait......

Well that isn't what you would use to make an anti-Corsi case cause Hall WAS bad today. In this case the numbers matched the eye test. Plus generally the Corsi teams DO line up with playoff teams, with one or two exceptions - usually we're one of the exceptions though :P

I think it's a little more of an accurate barometer when it comes to team performance over an 82-game season rather than individual performance.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Today's game is Exhibit A of why I have previously said I want NO PART of Damon Severson is Overtime.

It is virtually incomprehensible that an NHL "defenseman" could play this so terribly.

Kids in High School hockey & lower (Yes, REALLY) know how to play this sequence. It's defense 101 for god's sake.

A victory lap prediction I wish I didnt have to make. :(

Reactions: I Hate Tie DOMI

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Today's game is Exhibit A of why I have previously said I want NO PART of Damon Severson is Overtime.

It is virtually incomprehensible that an NHL "defenseman" could play this so terribly. Kids in High School hockey and lower (Yes, REALLY) know to hot play this sequence. It's defense 101 for god's sake.

Check out Lovejoy's 2-on-1 from the third period, that wasn't pretty either. He just completely peeled off the shooter leaving him wide open. There were at least one or two other two-on-ones where the defenseman played it similarly to Severson, not protecting against the pass. That's not a Severson problem, that's a coaching problem when literally every defenseman on the roster is playing the same situation incorrectly either by staying in no-man's land or letting the shooter go to the net wide open.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Horrible loss. Pathetic

I blame Hall for the loss

His hockey sense has been dreadful this season.

We are up 2-0 late in the 2nd, playing great, Hall gets the puck just inside the blue line, instead of making the smart play of skating or moving the pick forward, he try to spin around backwards and coughs the puck up

Det goes right down the ice and scores.

Instead if 2 or 3 nothing going into the 3rd it's 2-1

That was the turning point and they lost a game that should have easily been 2 points when up 2 St that point of the game.

Team has horrible hockey sense overall.

Aside from Coleman and maybe a few others, we are a dumb team.

Not a playoff team.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

It is virtually incomprehensible that an NHL "defenseman" could play this so terribly.

Kids in High School hockey & lower (Yes, REALLY) know how to play this sequence. It's defense 101 for god's sake.

Agreed, and also why is Hall lined up along the boards instead of in the middle? That set up was begging for a 2on1 against.

Reactions: VoidCreature
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad