SSM Greyhounds Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I disagree somewhat. The import draft is not about warm bodies. Pucek taught us that. If Lutz isn't coming we should obviously go back to the well, but in a swing for the fences mentality. Just a warm body doesn't move the needle.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i get what youre saying. I just think at some point you have to move on from a player. there's enough skill in Europe that we should have 2 imports on our roster. "warm bodies" might have been a poor choice of words. the kid has to be good enough to earn a spot and be an upgrade for us somewhere.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
i get what youre saying. I just think at some point you have to move on from a player. there's enough skill in Europe that we should have 2 imports on our roster. "warm bodies" might have been a poor choice of words. the kid has to be good enough to earn a spot and be an upgrade for us somewhere.

After 1 year? That's when you think you should move on?

Lutz likely still going in the first round despite missing over half his season to injury speaks volumes that he's not a "warm body" and would earn a spot here over probably 90% of returning players.

I'm sure the Soo Greyhounds have intel on which teams are looking at Lutz, in order to make their educated guess.

We hold the 41st pick, so might be worth holding out for Lutz. Lol. No Russians, I think it'll be a very watered down import draft IMO.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo

Lutz likely still going in the first round despite missing over half his season to injury speaks volumes that he's not a "warm body" and would earn a spot here over probably 90% of returning players.

I'm sure the Soo Greyhounds have intel on which teams are looking at Lutz, in order to make their educated guess.

We hold the 41st pick, so might be worth holding out for Lutz. Lol. No Russians, I think it'll be a very watered down import draft IMO.

It doesn't matter how good he is if he's planning on staying in the DEL where he is getting a pay cheque and playing against men and I'm opposed to having an open import spot for the 2nd year in a row. If he's not committed to coming by the import draft I would move on.

Are you familiar with the idiom "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? Lutz is a bird in the bush.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

1st round? Since when? I have mostly seen projections in the 3rd/4th round area.

Raftis will have had many conversations with Lutz's camp by now, and should have a good idea of where they stand without any influence from NHL teams. That is what Raftis will have to base his decision on. Good point too about holding a later-ish pick in a watered down draft. There are still enough good import players to get someone there that will make an impact. The question as always is can you get someone that will likely report? But if Raftis feels that Lutz will not, then it's time to move on, absolutely.

Reactions: DWI Dale

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Cory Pronman has him going in the first but most projections I've seen he is not.

He's not because of "small sample size".

Not because of talent. He's not going in the 5th round. Lol. Like HP said, Raftis I'm sure has had talks already about it.

I still think Seattle is interested in Lutz.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He's not because of "small sample size".

Not because of talent. He's not going in the 5th round. Lol. Like HP said, Raftis I'm sure has had talks already about it.

I still think Seattle is interested in Lutz.
With all their picks, they’re probably looking closely at many players

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
received_593582388763540.jpeg

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I’ll add that Lutz has been talked up about the Buffalo area by his friend and Sabres prospect JJ Peterka. He knows all about the Buffalo and Rochester areas, despite never being there until the scouting combine. So if the Sabres draft him in the 2nd, be really surprised if he ends up coming to the Soo instead of western New York.

Reactions: HF92

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Hamilton memcup finals bound while the hounds sputter in mediocrity. Amazing what can be accomplished with good asset management and strong scouting. :P

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Hi folks….it was announced today that overage F-Cole MacKay has committed to play for the University of New Brunswick in the fall. Hoping some of you could provide a scouting report so we have an idea what to expect from him? TIA

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Hi folks….it was announced today that overage F-Cole MacKay has committed to play for the University of New Brunswick in the fall. Hoping some of you could provide a scouting report so we have an idea what to expect from him? TIA
Great 2-way player. Can score, kills penalties, not flashy but hardnosed and effective in any role. A strong leader and solid human off the ice.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i'm not sure, just a hunch. there's no reason to even mention the draft if they aren't participating in it. i'm definitely reading into it but what else is there to do but analyze every syllable.

all i know is i don't want to see an open import slot in september.

Reactions: shot caller

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Big dude too. I'm not familiar with his game but it sounds like he is physical so that's fun. 6'3 and knows how to use it? excellent.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So as of now we start the season with 4 OA (Thompson, Watson, McMullen, Tynan). Remains to be seen if all 4 report or if there is another trade afoot. We are thin through the forwards so really the only one that would make sense to trade would be Tynan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad