SSM Greyhounds Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
So random question(s): besides McGroarty and Lutz, is there anybody on the current USNTDP or in their 1st or second year of university hockey that can play for the Hounds next season?

And to clear up on the Sabres board, if the team wanted him to, Owen Power could play for Flint next season, correct?

Also, would Alexander Kisakov be able to play in the CHL if the Sabres felt like it (assuming he could sign with a team as a free agent)? I’m not entirely sure what the specific age cutoff is for overagers

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
So random question(s): besides McGroarty and Lutz, is there anybody on the current USNTDP or in their 1st or second year of university hockey that can play for the Hounds next season?
According to HockeyPop's prospect list these are our Americans commited to play elsewhere:

2022, 4th - Virgilio, Matthew R (RD) - St. Andrews College (CISAA), Michigan commit ('24-'25)

2021, 7th - Lewinski, Charlie L (C) - Compuware AAA 16U, Connecticut commit ('24-'25)

2020, 8th - Varner, Justin R (LW) - Youngstown Phantoms (USHL), MSU commit ('23-'24)

2020, 14th - West, Owen L (LD) - Jamestown Rebels (NAHL), MSU Commit ('23-'24)

2020, 15th - Muszelik, Tyler L (G) - USNTDP, UNH commit ('23-'24)

2019, 12th - DiPasquo, Luca R (G), MSU Commit ('22-'23)

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

And to clear up on the Sabres board, if the team wanted him to, Owen Power could play for Flint next season, correct?

Also, would Alexander Kisakov be able to play in the CHL if the Sabres felt like it (assuming he could sign with a team as a free agent)? I’m not entirely sure what the specific age cutoff is for overagers
No. Owen Power would be an OA next season. He can’t come to the OHL as an OA. He would have had to join them this year.

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Additionally, every year teams are required to update their protected list. Removing a player is effectively releasing their rights. We aren't privy to these lists, but its possible teams have moved on from these players already.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Additionally, every year teams are required to update their protected list. Removing a player is effectively releasing their rights. We aren't privy to these lists, but its possible teams have moved on from these players already.
What ARE OHL fans privy to? It seems like they try to keep everything a secret.

Reactions: HockeyPops

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If you can find a way to work it out with the league to change that rule I’m sure Flint can find about 25-30 minutes a night for him next year. Just out of curiosity, what thread was this even being discussed in?

The draft thread on the Sabres board. I was talking about how the Sabres could draft both McGroarty and Lutz and send them both to the Soo. I was looking at the 2020-now NHL drafts, and the 2019-2021 OHL drafts, to see anybody I recognized as being Hounds, or the Hounds having their rights, and that’s when I saw Power was drafted by Flint.

So I figured he may not have aged out. But moot point as I doubt Buffalo would do that

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The draft thread on the Sabres board. I was talking about how the Sabres could draft both McGroarty and Lutz and send them both to the Soo. I was looking at the 2020-now NHL drafts, and the 2019-2021 OHL drafts, to see anybody I recognized as being Hounds, or the Hounds having their rights, and that’s when I saw Power was drafted by Flint.

So I figured he may not have aged out. But moot point as I doubt Buffalo would do that
McGroarty would get more games and more minutes with the Soo and their recent track record of developing players is up there with just about anybody.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
McGroarty would get more games and more minutes with the Soo and their recent track record of developing players is up there with just about anybody.

Given where the team is drafting, I’ve had to pull back on my preferred guy (Slafkovsky), so I’ve been on the Cutter Gauthier and McGroarty train for the Sabres with their first two picks, as they’re exactly what the team is missing.

Which means the Sabres aren’t drafting them :laugh:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
why is that? i'm stating facts. shouldn't be a problem unless you reported me ;)

he spends all year telling everybody else how stupid they are and disrespecting opposing teams, then disappears when their bad takes are shown to be wrong.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I didn't report you. I don't want you banned, I enjoy the chatter.

I hope we hear about some signings soon. We have many openings to fill so he must know which names are automatically on the team. Brown and McConnell-Barker would be good starts, but I suspect our first 4 picks in this year's draft are all signed.

I think it most likely that the following names are added to next year's roster:
Gibson, Andrew RD (2005)
Scott, Blair LD (2005)
Brown, Christopher C (2006)
Miller, Landon G (2006)
McConnell-Barker LD (2006)
Kostov, Alex RW (2006)
IMPORT forward (Lutz?)

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I'm very interested to see if Andrew Gibson can translate his NOJHL success to the OHL.
Offensively gifted Right Defense don't grow on trees. It would be nice to see an elite player developed through the T-birds.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
he did. although the ceiling appears to be much higher for Gibson given that he doubled Calistis PPG.

he seems like he could be a very special player if he is developed to his potential.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yeah, I don't remember what opportunities Calisti got on the tbirds, but I don't remember him playing on the top line close to 30 minutes each game in all situations like Gibson did this year. That can also factor into point production. I think Gibson will need a lot of work on the defensive side of his game, much like Calisti did when he made the jump. It will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: Houndzfan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I wonder if Anselmini will make the team next year. We already have lots of graduating forwards (4) that we need to replace, but he will be 19 and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs (Hookey dressed ahead of him). He does bring energy, but I'm not sure what else. In a rebuilding year, I'm not sure he is the type of veteran you hold on to.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
good question.

If Raftis can get Lutz to report then I can't see there being room for him. According to your depth chart there's also 3x 2005's waiting in the weeds so it would depend on their development progress as well.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It would be great if any of our remaining 2005 forward prospects pan out, most had decent seasons but none of them dominated where they played:
2021, 7th - Lewinski, Charlie L (C) - NCAA commit, didn't attend camp last year. Probably more ready than the rest but would he come?
2021, 8th - Campbell, Stephen R (C) - Affiliated for 10 games (2 pts) in GOJHL. No idea where else he played or how well he played. Is he ready for OHL?
2021, 10th - Clattenburg, Connor L (LW) - 30 pts in 27 games at AAA this year. Is he ready for OHL?
2021, 13th - Corte, Zack L (LW/RW) - 21 pts in 27 games at AAA this year. Is he ready for OHL?
2021, 14th - Shore, Owen L (LW) - 26 pts in 30 games at AAA this year. Is he ready for OHL?
2021, 15th - Paddington, EJ L (LW) - 10 pts in 36 games at AAA this year. Doesn't seem ready.
2022U, 1st - Good, Dustin R (RW) - our U18 pick this year. 36 pts in 33 games at AAA this year and 3 pts in 7 games in the GOJHL. Is he ready for OHL?

Reactions: DWI Dale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad